Jan 29, 2016
Status
Pharmacy Student
I wanted to post this because there's a very minimal amount of posts about the MA MPJE and I wish I had this information before my exam. I did pass, just barely, with a 76. Everyone that I've talked to that passed, also just barely passed. I've been hearing of scores in the 75-77 range (this is for MASSACHUSETTS).

Regarding study materials, I used Pronto Pass, and other regulations listed on this "study guide" http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/docs/dph/quality/boards/pharmacy/pharmacy-mpje-packet.pdf

I also purchased the Massachusetts practice exams from pharmacyexam.com

I can't say that I would/would not recommend either source. Neither of them will definitely help you pass. Pronto Pass does have the money back guarantee though. Neither source covers all of the rules and regs of the state, not even close. You have to study what the MPJE packet/"study guide" from the mass.gov site tells you to study. If you have money to spend, I would say buy either or both, but neither of them are miracle passing products. The pharmacy exam questions are nothing like the MPJE questions, but they do help you test your knowledge and let you know whether or not you're retaining anything.

I studied for less than 7 days. I did not study all day and into the night, that's just not the way I can effectively study and retain information.

I have worked at an independent pharmacy for 3 years and I can confidently say that my work experience did NOT give me any advantage over someone who doesn't work. I had no questions where I thought back to myself about a work experience to help me answer the question.

Now, regarding the exam itself, it was difficult! Were there easy, straightforward questions? Yes, but very few. The majority of questions, I had no idea what the answer was. Sometimes, I didn't know the answer because I didn't study that section enough to really know the information, but other times I just didn't study it at all. There were a few questions that I couldn't even find the answer to after the exam.

Study federal law, read the Pharmacist's Manual. If you don't, and you get questions wrong, you will get more questions like it. It's adaptive! If you get the same/similar questions 3(+) times, you should probably change your answer!

Good luck to all, let me know if you have any questions!

Sep 29, 2017
Status
Pharmacist
Thank you! Your advice is very helpful. I went to school in NY and taking MA MPJE in 2 weeks. Did you have to know all the criminal penalties for possessing marijuana etc listed in MGL 94C? I know its been a while for you but going through the law without any condensed lecture notes is hard..perhaps do you have any lecture notes from school in powerpoint or digital format? I'm not planning on buying pronto pass but will try out the pharmacyexam THanks alot again!

Sep 29, 2017
Status
Pharmacist
Also do you have to know all controlled substances in class A through E? NY doesn't have these categories