Massachusetts Psychology Jurisprudence Examination

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Girl1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
Passed the EPPP! :turtle: I plan to take the MA Jurisprudence exam soon,and was hoping someone could tell me what to expect. I couldn't find anything about it at the board's site or anywhere else.
I would really appreciate if people can share about their experience (how did you study, how long did you study for), and any concrete information like what's a passing grade?

Thank you very much!
Have a wonderful weekend :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Google "MA psychology jurisprudence" and you'll get a link to the PDF file of the "book." Study it and learn it. It's been awhile since I took it, but the laws are the same. It was a pretty straightforward test, with no real trick questions. Shouldn't take more than a weekend or two of studying.

I took it a couple weeks ago. There were some shockingly detailed questions on what I felt was really random ****. It's 20 questions; you get an hour and need 70% to pass. I only studied a few days and passed with lots of room to spare, but there were definitely some tense moments and some guessing.
When you register they'll send you the book pdf or a link to it. If you haven't already done it, the registration process is kind of a pain involving faxing your payment and other info. You can't schedule the test on the website, only by phone.
In addition to the book, there's also a cd with a lecture given years ago by some psychologists involved with ethics stuff. My understanding is that it's a free resource, so if you pm me your email address, I'll send it to you, assuming I can figure out how to compress the files. I listened to that a few times on my commute and read the accompanying notes a couple times maybe. I skimmed the actual book and maybe could have read it with more to have a more relaxing test experience. Bottom line is passing tho. To provide context, I'm historically a minimum-effort good text taker with wicked low anxiety.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Thanks for all the great advice on the MA jurisprudence exam. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share the audio files of the CDs for the exam? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi! Thanks for all the great advice on the MA jurisprudence exam. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share the audio files of the CDs for the exam? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi there!
I am beginning to study for the Jurisprudence Exam. Do you folks know where to get the audio files? Thanks!

Hi everyone! I just started studying for the Jurisprudence Exam last week and I have the book that is provided. I'm finding a lot of info in there that are largely irrelevant for the practice of psychology, am I right in sensing that or am I super far off? Are there a lot of hypothetical scenario questions like on the EPPP or is it more fact recall? If it's the latter, how much do I need to focus on chapter and section numbers? Any additional info about this exam would be so very much appreciated! Thank you!

I took (and passed) the MA Jurisprudence exam a few weeks ago, and figured I would share my thoughts.
  • I studied for less than 2 weeks.
  • I used the audio lectures from the MPA (can be purchased here. You can email them and ask for audio files rather than a CD). I listened to this lecture 3 times (it is ~2 hours long). The first time, I followed along in the jurisprudence book. The other two times, I listened in the car or while cooking/cleaning around my house.
  • I did sit down with the Jurisprudence book once to read it. I did not read it in full - I used the outline provided with the audio lectures to dictate what sections to read. This helped weed out the unnecessary information. As a note, there are one or two sections that were updated since the audio lectures came out (like divorce), so I paid attention to those and read those sections in full.
  • With all of that, the exam felt very straight-forward and easy. As others said, there are no "trick" questions. I did not need to know any numbers of sections, as if they referenced a section, they provided both the number and title. It is pretty much fact recall - making sure you understand definitions and expectations of you as a psychologist.
  • You get an hour to take the exam. It took me maybe 15 minutes (though I tend to read and take tests quickly).
  • You get your results straight away. And I mean straight away... you click "end" and it tells you if you passed or failed. When you walk out of the testing room, you will get a printout with your exact score.
After studying for and taking the EPPP, I think I was primed to feel anxious about this exam - especially given the breadth of information and the lack of sample questions/practice exams. As a result, I most definitely over-studied. Compared to the EPPP, this was a breeze. Good luck to all who are taking it in the future!

I took (and passed) the MA Jurisprudence exam a few weeks ago, and figured I would share my thoughts.
  • I studied for less than 2 weeks.
  • I used the audio lectures from the MPA (can be purchased here. You can email them and ask for audio files rather than a CD). I listened to this lecture 3 times (it is ~2 hours long). The first time, I followed along in the jurisprudence book. The other two times, I listened in the car or while cooking/cleaning around my house.
  • I did sit down with the Jurisprudence book once to read it. I did not read it in full - I used the outline provided with the audio lectures to dictate what sections to read. This helped weed out the unnecessary information. As a note, there are one or two sections that were updated since the audio lectures came out (like divorce), so I paid attention to those and read those sections in full.
  • With all of that, the exam felt very straight-forward and easy. As others said, there are no "trick" questions. I did not need to know any numbers of sections, as if they referenced a section, they provided both the number and title. It is pretty much fact recall - making sure you understand definitions and expectations of you as a psychologist.
  • You get an hour to take the exam. It took me maybe 15 minutes (though I tend to read and take tests quickly).
  • You get your results straight away. And I mean straight away... you click "end" and it tells you if you passed or failed. When you walk out of the testing room, you will get a printout with your exact score.
After studying for and taking the EPPP, I think I was primed to feel anxious about this exam - especially given the breadth of information and the lack of sample questions/practice exams. As a result, I most definitely over-studied. Compared to the EPPP, this was a breeze. Good luck to all who are taking it in the future!
Congratulations! You need a job?

Thank you! And I am happily employed at the moment, but the inquiry is appreciated nonetheless.