Massive amount of paper work -> potential HIPAA complications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I’ve always wondered about this specific issue. There is massive paperwork in hospitals and clinics. I’ve shadowed clinics where 200-300 pages of faxes, referrals, doctor notes, nurse notes, patient care instructions, etc are managed every hour and the HIPPA bins fill up in 2-3 days.

Having said all this, how does this relate to potential HIPAA complications? No doubt there are moments where a piece of paper with confidential information goes missing into someone’s hands.

Perhaps a resident takes a folder full of patient notes home for a research project and a few pages fall off on the subway. Or maybe the receptionist gives the “After visit summary” of one patient to another patient. Or the fax number is dialed wrong. Or the nurse puts her notes in her back pocket and it drops out of the pocket when she goes across the street to Starbucks. Or someone is moving boxes from one office to another office and some pages fall out. Or someone places a note in the trash can rather than the HIPAA bin and the notes falls out when the janitor picks up the trash can.

Am I overthinking it? Does this even happen often or is it a rare incident? Are violations like these investigated?

Interestingly enough I found something that relates to this issue:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a hospital that I transported out of that didn't give out face sheets. Story behind it was that someone dropped/lost one of them. Supposedly it was found and they got sued. Don't know the results of the case.

I’ve always wondered about this specific issue. There is massive paperwork in hospitals and clinics. I’ve shadowed clinics where 200-300 pages of faxes, referrals, doctor notes, nurse notes, patient care instructions, etc are managed every hour and the HIPPA bins fill up in 2-3 days.

Having said all this, how does this relate to potential HIPAA complications? No doubt there are moments where a piece of paper with confidential information goes missing into someone’s hands.

Perhaps a resident takes a folder full of patient notes home for a research project and a few pages fall off on the subway. Or maybe the receptionist gives the “After visit summary” of one patient to another patient. Or the fax number is dialed wrong. Or the nurse puts her notes in her back pocket and it drops out of the pocket when she goes across the street to Starbucks. Or someone is moving boxes from one office to another office and some pages fall out. Or someone places a note in the trash can rather than the HIPAA bin and the notes falls out when the janitor picks up the trash can.

Am I overthinking it? Does this even happen often or is it a rare incident? Are violations like these investigated?

Interestingly enough I found something that relates to this issue:

It happens all the the time. But no one reports it, and the people who go after HIPPA data could care less about individual patients so they don’t dig through trash or anything like that. Should it happen all the time? No, but I guess *thankfully* the people who commit the crimes that can be committed with HIPPA info really only care about amassing large datasets (which you don’t get in the trash or subway)

Members don't see this ad :)
It happens all the the time. But no one reports it, and the people who go after HIPPA data could care less about individual patients so they don’t dig through trash or anything like that. Should it happen all the time? No, but I guess *thankfully* the people who commit the crimes that can be committed with HIPPA info really only care about amassing large datasets (which you don’t get in the trash or subway)

MGH had to pay nearly ~1M for a stack of HIV records for nearly 192 patients that was lost on the subway. But that’s a large amount of patient data and HIV is particularly sensitive I suppose.

Reactions: 1 user
There was a hospital that I transported out of that didn't give out face sheets. Story behind it was that someone dropped/lost one of them. Supposedly it was found and they got sued. Don't know the results of the case.

Mind giving the name of the hospital?

MGH had to pay nearly ~1M for a stack of HIV records for nearly 192 patients that was lost on the subway. But that’s a large amount of patient data and HIV is particularly sensitive I suppose.
Yah...192 patients is a bit more than a couple falling off on the subway lol Both should not occur and are equally protected under HIPPA, but 192 patient records (super sensitive stuff like HIV nonetheless) is much much much more likely to get reported.

Yah...192 patients is a bit more than a couple falling off on the subway lol Both should not occur and are equally protected under HIPPA, but 192 patient records (super sensitive stuff like HIV nonetheless) is much much much more likely to get reported.

But $1M seems insane. Deep pocket I guess.

I shadowed a doctor once who flat out refused to take in a patient who made an entire list of who can see what kind of information (“my husband can’t find out about my heart disease”, “my sister can’t find out about my alcoholism” etc). It opens up a scary amount of potential for liability if there is a communication error and someone reveals something to a certain family member that they weren’t supposed to.

But $1M seems insane. Deep pocket I guess.
Their total annual patient revenue is upwards of $8,7B. $1M is chump change and just the price of doing business. Even if they have a thousand equally sized lawsuits each year, that is barely 15% of net revenue. These companies can eat big money.

When I worked for PAML Laboratories, we had just purchased a $20M chemistry line when we were purchased by LabCorp. Do you think they kept the instrument for its 5 year contract? Nah, they just wrote it off and sent it back. Healthcare is BIG business.

I shadowed a doctor once who flat out refused to take in a patient who made an entire list of who can see what kind of information (“my husband can’t find out about my heart disease”, “my sister can’t find out about my alcoholism” etc). It opens up a scary amount of potential for liability if there is a communication error and someone reveals something to a certain family member that they weren’t supposed to.
Simple fix: don’t communicate any information with anyone other than the patient when they are in front of you, through a verified channel of communication with the patient, or with a confirmed health-care related entity you needs the patient info (billing, the lab, referrals etc.)

Simple fix: don’t communicate any information with anyone other than the patient when they are in front of you, through a verified channel of communication with the patient, or with a confirmed health-care related entity you needs the patient info (billing, the lab, referrals etc.)

That would work if the patient was the only one that needed to be communicated with.
But the family members were involved in the care for the patient and were in communication with the office. But each of them was missing a “piece” of the puzzle. So because certain things needed to be communicated with certain family members it was too high of a risk of accidentally telling a family member a piece of information that wasn’t supposed to be shared. Imagine having a million things to do and then getting a call from a patient’s sibiling and you have to remind yourself to pull up the list so you can remember what this sibiling does and doesn’t know and can and cannot know. It’s simply too much to take care of. Long story short, the patient wanted the family members to be involved with the office and her medical care but didn’t want certain family members knowing certain things.

Btw in my previous post, alcoholism and heart disease were examples that I made up. I don’t know what the actual symptoms really were. I just know that certain family members were not allowed to know about certain symptoms or diagnosis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hipaa is one of those things that had really good intentions and lawyers/the government turned it into a dumpster fire like all other legal issues in medicine.

Hipaa is only an issue when someone makes it an issue. Nobody cares until someone suddenly says something happened and uses the word Hipaa. It’s like the word of the day from PeeWees playhouse and the whole place goes to ****.

Reactions: 2 users
Hipaa is one of those things that had really good intentions and lawyers/the government turned it into a dumpster fire like all other legal issues in medicine.

Hipaa is only an issue when someone makes it an issue. Nobody cares until someone suddenly says something happened and uses the word Hipaa. It’s like the word of the day from PeeWees playhouse and the whole place goes to ****.

Sounds like a Walmart employee saying “Union” LOL