Massive Depression at studentdoctor.net

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joon Lee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to post an observation. Now that all of the talk about the horrors of the electronic AMCAS and this round of MCAT scores has subsided in this website, I've found the message board to be a generally depressing place. Not to disparage on all the wonderful people who deservedly placed in the class of 2006 matriculants, but I have now become weary of seeing the long list of people who are speaking and asking questions about pending interviews and acceptances. This is not to say that you all shouldn't post, I'm just stating that I've started to avoide this message board like the plague, because of threads with people discussing their acceptances, matriculation options, interview attendances...etc. As an applicant of fairly low standing and late application with late MCAT scores, I can say that I am green with envy for all of your fortunate souls. My feelings of envy are small, and I'm mostly happy for all of you successful candidates as I congratulate you all, and am just lamenting my own fate. I'm sure some posts will follow with the proper encouragement. That's the spirit and I anxiously await whatever encouragement you all could post. It's the waiting that's killing me.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about it. Most people here are freaks (in the nicest possible way!) and completely unrepresentative of 95% of applicants. Personally, I haven't even finished all my secondaries yet. I've still got 4 of the 25 left...

I've got really strong stats and am still waiting. I also took the August MCAT, just got verified 11/3 and have been busily filling out secondaries. My letters of recommendation are going out together. Yeah the list of acceptances are piling up, but that doesn't mean your out of it. This is the best year to have been an August MCATer, some schools just started interviewing in the last few weeks. If your MCAT scores are low and you don't get in this year, try again. I had O-chem with a guy that took the MCAT three times and applied four years in a row. Three of those years he was applying for MD and DO. He's now a first year at a DO school. GOOD LUCK and HANG IN THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's, "letters of recommendations are going out Monday". I've got 19 secondaries out and still plugging away.

i have a different opinion. this board actually has been invaluable to me, and i thank all the people who take time to reply to each other's questions. if you are envious, it is probably natural, but it will go away once you have interviews/acceptances. i think there is no better place than SDN to support/share your experiences about med school aplication.
I am usually sarcastic and not serious in my posts, but now I am (actually serious). everybody's situation is different and people move at their own pace. so jealosy has no place, as you cannot possibly compare two people by the same standards. get over it, and move on! don't thing what others are doing/not doing--it is a waste of energy you need for your applciations.
good luck

I met a guy at Northwestern Med who got in on his 4th try. He didn't get in anywhere for the first 3 years, but now he's at a really good med school. Go figure...

your day will come. don't give up. there is a lot of good info on the message board. take what you need. also, take what's on the board with a grain of salt. if you learn one thing as a premed, it's that other premeds try to psyche you out, don't let them. you always have something on your app that others don't have on theirs. you've come this far, not many people in the world can even say they applied to med school! best of luck!

Hey Joon,
Don't worry about it.
I'm in the same boat. I've completed my applications at 20+ schools over a month ago, but I'm just waiting by my computer and my mailbox for an interview invite. Keep checking the schools to see if they have all of the materials and hang in there. Good luck.

Originally posted by izzy34:
•your day will come. don't give up. there is a lot of good info on the message board. take what you need. also, take what's on the board with a grain of salt. if you learn one thing as a premed, it's that other premeds try to psyche you out, don't let them. you always have something on your app that others don't have on theirs. you've come this far, not many people in the world can even say they applied to med school! best of luck!•••

Many that don't apply just don't care about medicine. They may do well in it if they tried. But, there interests lie elsewhere.

med student

This board certainly gave me impetus to finish secondaries and quintuple check my applications to schools as well as my AMCAS status...the advice has been helpful.

Though, even saying that, I still have one more secondary to do (MCO), and decided not to submit the one for UMich...if I can get in there, i can get in UCincinnati/OSU/Case, and I'd rather go instate (Ohio). Unless someone's heard of someone out of state w/ a 3.5 gpa and 30 mcat getting in UMich, i don't know if i should bother...certainly a nice time to be wishy washy about this kind of thing, though :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Keith:
•That's, "letters of recommendations are going out Monday". I've got 19 secondaries out and still plugging away.•••

Actually, unlike in other languages, a modifier does not have to agree in number with the noun. You say, "attorneys general," not "attorneys generals." It is "courts martial," not "courts martials." In this case, it's "letters of reccommendation."

izzy brings up a good point. You really do need to congratulate yourself with every step you take. Think about the numerous individuals on the other side of the 50% average in O-chem that will not be applying to med school. Think about those that gota 3 or 4 in a section on the MCAT that truly have a dismal chance of getting in anywhere. Be thankful for all the little things, I know I am.

As always, none succintly points out the disproportinately excellent scores that are posted on this board. As important as it is to congratulate yourself for your accomplishments, it's necessary to humble yourself by coming to SDN :)

One other thing, do a search for the waitlist/hold threads from the previous cycle. One thread was going well into July if I remember correctly and people were getting off stellar waitlists like Yale and UNC, some of which had NO prior acceptances! So yes, this is a long wait, but count your blessings and keep moving forward.

Here's praying for your and every other SDNer's timely acceptance.

I'm just ready for someone else to congratulate me too. I mean, I have an excellent GPA at a liberal arts school, competitive MCAT score and lots of activities. I may lack in clinical experience only because I saw this as a time to develop other skills (along with medical related stuff). I'm beginning to wonder if that is hurting me.

I just hope we all get in where we want to go. The fact that we visit this board shows how much we really want to get in. :D