Master Cardiology or Cardiology III

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshua_msu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which one is easier to use on a daily basis?

Members don't see this ad.

joshua_msu said:
Which one is easier to use on a daily basis?

search function will help you find the answer you seek. i and most of my classmates have the cardio III.

most students seem to get a cardiology III, as lattimer13 stated.

I have both a cardiology III and a master cardiology. Both are very good stethoscopes. I only bought the master b/c I have some hearing problems & I can hear better with it.

I recommend that you borrow one of each from someone and see which one you like better. Also try out some other brands.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although the master cardiology has a "tuneable" diaphragm that doubles as a bell, there is nothing like using an actual bell for hearing those low pitch sounds. It just sounds different. I would suggest trying out a bunch of different stethoscopes, including the harvey and rappaport-sprague, etc. and seeing what fits best.

Master Cardiology III also has a tunable diaphragm. The rim surrounding the diaphragm is narrower on the cards III than on the master cards. I found the tunable diaphragm on cards iii didn't work well on anyone with a BMI greater than 25. And remember, in order to use the cards iii as a classic bell you have to remove the peds diaphragm and replace it with the rubber gasket.

Also having the option of converting my cards iii bell back to a peds diaphragm was handy during my peds rotations. Now that I will never examine another pediatric patient again, I have a bell.

Don't waste your money, unless you are going to be a cardiologist. You will hear the IMPORTANT murmurs with a cheap one. :D

Powder said:
Don't waste your money, unless you are going to be a cardiologist. You will hear the IMPORTANT murmurs with a cheap one. :D
Sometimes my clinical skills preceptor asks us to listen for such and such a murmur and I can't even hear S1 and S2 on some patients with my cheapo stethoscope that we all got for free as a gift from our school....