Master of Medical Science in Immunology at Harvard University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jmeds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first SDN post (or at least my first in a long while), so I apologize if this has already been posted elsewhere and I did not see. I'm a senior neuroscience major at a state school with below average stats (~3.45 sGPA, 507 MCAT). I have decided to take a gap year in attempt to increase my odds of getting into MD programs, and I've been looking into grad programs lately as a way to enhance my academic record. I have already looked at several SMP and masters programs (all of which can be found in other posts). I recently came across the Master of Medical Science in Immunology at Harvard University, which seems to be a good program. Has anyone heard what the average admissions criteria are (GPA, MCAT, GRE)? Has anyone been admitted to the program that could share a personal experience? I checked the website but I could not find any information regarding admissions.

Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Just one thing to note: this program is not available for Federal aid, so you would need to pay the $70,000 tuition and not-inconsequential Boston living expenses on your own. So, you'll basically need $125,000 in cash or private loans. Barring that, you take a few medical-school level courses and do some research. So if you're particularly interested in immunology and immuno research it looks like a decent (albeit expensive) experience.

As far as whether it would help you with admissions... probably not a whole lot -- you only take four [specialized] grad science classes and an elective over two years. Of course research experience is valuable, but, IMO, not something you should pay this kind of money for. You also don't sound to have a compelling reason to do this particular program (please don't say "because it's at Harvard" ;) ); just think about whether it is realistically a good use of two years. I would personally think about doing a couple semesters of rigorous science classwork at your state school aiming for a 3.7+.

Anyways, I expect you would have a competitive chance to get into the program -- most MSc/MPH programs have pretty moderate average. You could certainly e-mail them and ask about admissions standards.

Last edited:
thanks for the speedy reply! I had no idea about the federal aid situation, so thanks for the heads up!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have no idea what 507 actually mean, but have you considered DO?

Reactions: 1 user