Master of Science in Global Medicine at Keck School of Medicine of USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSGM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Master of Science in Global Medicine Program at the Keck School of Medicine of USC is a new degree program offered by the Division of Medical Education within the Keck School of Medicine at the University of Southern California. It is designed to provide health care professionals with the knowledge and training necessary to address both current and future global medical challenges. It is a one-year long special masters program that provides program study that analyzes and addresses critical issues in global medicine, focusing on the varying methods used to create innovative programming, solutions, and responses to global health issues such as malaria, tropical disease, HIV/AIDS, hepatitis, tuberculosis, and maternal and child health.

As global medicine faces new and more complex challenges, the need for professionals with advanced problem-solving skills and analytical frameworks will increase, making graduates of the MSGM program attractive to top-ranked medical schools, dental schools, other health care professional programs, as well as highly regarded companies and organizations.

Our alumni have been accepted to some of the top medical and dental schools in the country and worked for highly-respected companies and organizations.

The MSGM program offers a clinical track and a management track. The clinical track emphasizes the foundations of basic medical knowledge in the Core Principles Systems courses alongside Keck School of Medicine first-year medical students. Clinical track students take courses that examine health issues from the socioeconomic and cultural perspectives of a given region or population. The management track helps students tailor their business skills to the unique challenges of international health care. It offers students the global health foundations needed to develop culturally competent, cost-effective health care administration and programming where adequate care is lacking. Management track includes courses in finance, leadership, management, and marketing at the USC Marshall School of Business. The skills developed in both tracks enable graduates to plan and promote realistic, culturally sensitive health interventions in areas of need.

Please visit our website at www.usc.edu/msgm and our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/globalmedicine. Please see the flyer attached and contact us for more information.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• MSGMflyer_front.pdf
    514.8 KB · Views: 200
  • MSGMflyer_back.pdf
    496 KB · Views: 127
I am glad to hear that there is another awesome addition to the list of SMP programs. I find this very ironic that all day today I read and researched about the new USC program, and you happened to post this as well. However, I have a question about this program. Since this is a fairly new program, I wanted to know if there is any sort of promises, success percentages, or linkage between any medical schools including Keck Medical School. I hope you will be able to answer this question, because I am considering to apply to this program in Spring, 2012.

Thank you,
SMPtoMD :)

I am glad to hear that there is another awesome addition to the list of SMP programs. I find this very ironic that all day today I read and researched about the new USC program, and you happened to post this as well. However, I have a question about this program. Since this is a fairly new program, I wanted to know if there is any sort of promises, success percentages, or linkage between any medical schools including Keck Medical School. I hope you will be able to answer this question, because I am considering to apply to this program in Spring, 2012.

Thank you,

I think I can answer that. There are no specific promises or direct linkages, but as a Global medicine student, you will be taking classes from and be interacting with Keck School of Medicine faculty, including medical school interviewers and former/current admissions committee members. Also, you take most of the medical school classes from the first half of year one, which is taught by highly respected faculty. On top of this, I have found that most medical school faculty I have reached out to so far are willing to meet with Global Medicine students and help them out any way they can.

In talking with staff at the Global medicine office, I have been quoted very rough stats: ~75% of those who have applied get in and ~95% get in or get wait listed. Some of the schools Global Medicine students have been accepted to (that I have heard mentioned) include: USC, UCLA, UCI, Ohio State University, and AZCOM. Maybe after our final, I'll ask around to see if I can get an expanded list. Hope this helped!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I can answer that. There are no specific promises or direct linkages, but as a Global medicine student, you will be taking classes from and be interacting with Keck School of Medicine faculty, including medical school interviewers and former/current admissions committee members. Also, you take most of the medical school classes from the first half of year one, which is taught by highly respected faculty. On top of this, I have found that most medical school faculty I have reached out to so far are willing to meet with Global Medicine students and help them out any way they can.

In talking with staff at the Global medicine office, I have been quoted very rough stats: ~75% of those who have applied get in and ~95% get in or get wait listed. Some of the schools Global Medicine students have been accepted to (that I have heard mentioned) include: USC, UCLA, UCI, Ohio State University, and AZCOM. Maybe after our final, I'll ask around to see if I can get an expanded list. Hope this helped!

Have you traveled abroad with any of your classes (e.g. Uganda or Taiwan)? If so, how was that experience? What kind of work were you involved in on these trips?

Have you traveled abroad with any of your classes (e.g. Uganda or Taiwan)? If so, how was that experience? What kind of work were you involved in on these trips?

Below is a quote from a student that took the course in Taiwan:

"Traveling to Taiwan with the Global Medicine program was both enlightening and exciting. We had the chance to learn about Taiwan's health care reform, medical education, as well as how they practice clinical medicine. Some highlights include meeting Taiwan's Minister of Health, visiting the Department of Health, various university-affiliated hospitals, learning about Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) and shadowing a TCM physician, visiting rural clinics, and visiting an ophthalmology clinic and school for the blind. In addition to studying clinical medicine and health care reform, we were able to visit tourist sites like the National Palace Museum, Taipei 101, night markets, Toroko National Park, and much, much more. Studying abroad in Taiwan was such a unique and rewarding experience and I have grown a new respect for other countries and their health care systems."

Please contact us at the office at (323) 442-3141 if you would like more information on our abroad opportunities.

Thank you,

We have no promises to successfully matriculating into the Keck School of Medicine. However, alumni from our program are currently students at the Keck School of Medicine at USC, as well as other top medical schools across the country! I encourage you to call the office at (323) 442-3141 for more information on admissions and your future goals.

Just a question on the alumni whom have gained acceptance to medical schools. Did they have to go through a "gap" year or were they successfully matriculated into a medical school upon completion of the program.

Thank you everyone! You all have answered mostly all of my questions. As suggested, I did contact their department and the person on the phone was very helpful in answering my questions as well as giving suggestions.

I would also like to know what was just asked above. I was told on the phone that the program is in process of creating another fully informative website. I am looking forward to that. I want to know more numbers and success rates of the alumni. Also, I would like to where does the program stand in competition with other SMPs. I am really looking forward to this program and I hope I can get into a Cali school since I am from TEXAS (hahahhaha..jk)!

thanks! :D
SMPtoMD

Just a question on the alumni whom have gained acceptance to medical schools. Did they have to go through a "gap" year or were they successfully matriculated into a medical school upon completion of the program.

Many of our alumni have been accepted to some of the top medical schools in the country; however, I would like to emphasize that every applicant is unique. SMPs are a great way to improve your application, but no SMP delivers an automatic acceptance to medical school simply upon completion of the program. Some choose to apply to medical school while enrolled in the program and matriculate directly after completing the program, while others choose to begin the medical school application process after completing the program. It is up to that individual student.

In the Global Medicine program, we encourage our students to nurture their interest in medicine by shadowing physicians within our network, contributing to the university and the surrounding community with service projects, learning about health care systems in other countries with our abroad opportunities, and of course, performing to the best of their ability in their coursework.

As I mentioned, every student is unique and I highly encourage you to call our office at (323) 442-3141 with any questions specific to you as an applicant.

i recently submitted my application for the ms in global medicine program. just out of curiosity, is anyone else applying? eventually my goal is to attend medical school but i've always wanted to pursue a career in global health and this seems like the perfect way to do so. this is the one program that has seemed like an ideal (as "ideal" as any program can get, i guess) fit so i'm really hoping it works out. fingers crossed!

i recently submitted my application for the ms in global medicine program. just out of curiosity, is anyone else applying? eventually my goal is to attend medical school but i've always wanted to pursue a career in global health and this seems like the perfect way to do so. this is the one program that has seemed like an ideal (as "ideal" as any program can get, i guess) fit so i'm really hoping it works out. fingers crossed!

I applied as well!! I applied early February, however I have not been notified of a "complete" application yet...all of my materials are in, except for MCAT scores. How about yourself? Have you heard anything? The program does indeed sound amazing!

Good luck! :)

Just submitted my app as well, submitted last week and was informed that it was complete yesterday. The woman that emailed me said that once complete a decision will be made approximately 6-8 weeks later. This looks to be just about the ideal program for me and am really hoping it works out.

Good luck to all you guys too! Has anyone heard back yet?

I just applied as well! Strange how this thread has not seen much attention as of late.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied in early Feb also! So when I researched this program I thought it would be an interesting opportunity and it is slightly different from the SMP's that have been around for awhile. I recently received acceptances from BU and TUFTS Masters programs and have really been debating my options. I feel like USC's global medicine program, though unique and very interesting, is somewhat of a gamble in terms of medical school acceptance. Anyway else as conflicted as I am about this program?

I definitely agree. I guess its a relatively young program but from talking with current students and administrators they have found a lot of success. That being said, I am pretty skeptical if its worth the investment especially when there are more established programs out there with greater ties to their own medical schools. It would be great to see where past alumni have been accepted but I haven't seen any list thus far... If any current students have more information I would love to hear more about the program.

i wanna know if this cud degree cud compensate for low GPA
u only take a few classes that are medical courses
while it is affiliated with keck SOM, theres a same degree from school of global health that is an MPH..

if this is just like an accelerated MPH with just 4 units out of like idk...32? that are medical courses idk if its worth it could someone clarify

Looking forward to reading your application! Please contact the office if you have any questions about the admissions review process.

It seems like only 8 units will be taken with medical students. What about the remaining 24 units necessary for completion for the degree?
If you are in the clinical track, 8 units are taken with the medical students in the Core Principles Systems I and II, which are essentially the foundations of medicine: nutrition, genetics, epidemiology, pathology, bacteriology, virology, and MANY more topics. The other 24 units depend on your interests within Global Medicine. Our global health modules include the major issues affecting global health: malaria, tuberculosis, maternal and child health, HIV/AIDS, and tropical diseases. We also have humanities-based classes, like: cultural competency in health and medicine, health and human rights, and medical spanish. We offer two classes abroad, one in Taiwan and one in Uganda, both studying clinical medicine. This program specializes in Global Medicine and upon earning an M.S. in Global Medicine, you have developed the skills and the knowledge to create programs that can be implemented locally and internationally. I urge you to call the office if you would like more details about the curriculum. (323) 442-3141

i wanna know if this cud degree cud compensate for low GPA
u only take a few classes that are medical courses
while it is affiliated with keck SOM, theres a same degree from school of global health that is an MPH..

if this is just like an accelerated MPH with just 4 units out of like idk...32? that are medical courses idk if its worth it could someone clarify
This program is very different from the Master of Public Health Program at USC. Many of our prospective applicants ask the difference between the MS in Global Medicine and an MPH. The MSGM program is a clinical-based program. For example, if you are taking the class on HIV, you are learning about how the virus is transmitted, what fluids transmit the virus, global statistics (all arguably "public health" aspects), but you are also learning about the clinical care related to treating patients with HIV, including, drug regimens, opportunistic infections, and long-term management of disease. Our program is very unique and well-respected and admired among medical school admissions boards and corporations and non-profit organizations. If you would like to know more about the details about the curriculum, I encourage you to call our office at (323) 442-3141.

I definitely agree. I guess its a relatively young program but from talking with current students and administrators they have found a lot of success. That being said, I am pretty skeptical if its worth the investment especially when there are more established programs out there with greater ties to their own medical schools. It would be great to see where past alumni have been accepted but I haven't seen any list thus far... If any current students have more information I would love to hear more about the program.
Our program has incredible ties to the Keck School of Medicine of USC, as all of our classes are taught by faculty of the Keck School of Medicine of USC. While our program does not offer a guaranteed interview or a guaranteed acceptance, we simply prefer not to make empty promises. Some SMPs advertise that they offer a guaranteed interview; however, you must keep in mind that there is no guaranteed acceptance. Our students and alumni that have earned interviews at the Keck School of Medicine perform extremely well in their Global Medicine coursework, are actively involved in the community service opportunities available through our program, develop professional relationships with their professors, and take advantage of the advisement our office can provide. Six of our alumni will be attending medical school at the Keck School of Medicine of USC this fall. If you have further questions on the opportunities our program offers, please call the office at (323) 442-3141.

We are expecting to accept between 75 and 80 students for Fall 2012. If you have any questions regarding the program or the application process, we urge you to contact our Admissions Coordinator by calling the office at (323) 442-3141.

Just thought I'd check in- has anyone heard anything back yet? I had a transcript issue so it's going to take longer to receive an answer. I'm still really hoping for an acceptance because this program seems like it would be such a great fit. Unfortunately, I'm not brave enough to gamble and wait and see if I get accepted without having a backup plan. I sent my Intent to Enroll form to GW's Global Health program today. I figured it would be better than waiting and ending up with nothing, but sending that form in made me feel terrible!

Good luck to anyone else who is still waiting for an answer :)

Can anyone tell me the estimated total cost of this program? Including all 3 semesters of tuition and fees.

I was wondering if anyone could comment on the success rate of this program in terms of the amount of students that matriculate and get in to medical school right after the program? or the year after the program? does the keck school of medicine consider candidates from this program?

I was wondering if anyone could comment on the success rate of this program in terms of the amount of students that matriculate and get in to medical school right after the program? or the year after the program? does the keck school of medicine consider candidates from this program?

They changed the purpose of the USC MGM program to exclude premeds. See their program description for yourself.

You should apply to their masters in molecular microbiology and immunology, instead. It's integrated into the med school, and you can tailor it to match a real SMP curriculum. Plus, you get a thesis, and research.

I'm not saying it's the best SMP option in California, but it's a lot better than the MGM program in terms of similarity to a real SMP. I'm not sure why USC never put the molecular micro program out there as being designed for premeds, actually.

http://keck.usc.edu/Education/Acade...ment_of_Molecular_Microbiology_and_Immunology

There's still time to apply, too. PM me if you want to know more.

Last edited:
They changed the purpose of the USC MGM program to exclude premeds. See their program description for yourself.

You should apply to their masters in molecular microbiology and immunology, instead. It's integrated into the med school, and you can tailor it to match a real SMP curriculum. Plus, you get a thesis, and research.

I'm not saying it's the best SMP option in California, but it's a lot better than the MGM program in terms of similarity to a real SMP. I'm not sure why USC never put the molecular micro program out there as being designed for premeds, actually.

http://keck.usc.edu/Education/Acade...ment_of_Molecular_Microbiology_and_Immunology

There's still time to apply, too. PM me if you want to know more.

What did you mean by they changed the program to exclude premeds? I just applied about a month ago and I'm supposed to hear back anytime now.

Is the masters program you are talking about a 2 year program?

What did you mean by they changed the program to exclude premeds? I just applied about a month ago and I'm supposed to hear back anytime now.

Yeah, it's different now. Here's my post on the change from an earlier thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=13842030&postcount=10

"I hate to break the news, but it looks as if the USC MGM management have changed this program from being designed for people wanting to attend medical school to those wanting to enter allied health. They even changed the entire website design. This might seem like a trick in wording to those who hadn't seen -- or remember -- the site from last year, but trust me, the MGM program has changed. I also know the program representatives, and have spoken with them in person several times. Keep reading, trust me.

Have a look at the new program description (that excludes premeds):
http://keck.usc.edu/en/Education/De...of_Science_in_Global_Medicine/Curriculum.aspx
"The Master of Science in Global Medicine is offered by the Departments of Preventive Medicine and Educational Affairs of the Keck School of Medicine. The program aims to train medical, dental, and pharmacy students, current physicians and allied health professionals, and those planning to pursue degrees in the allied health professions to analyze and address critical issues in global medicine."

You don't have to take my opinion for it, but I believe that this program is now officially on par with public health masters programs in regard to the benefit that premedical applicants will receive from completing it in terms of medical school application "enhancement." Like a public health masters, sure, premeds can do it, but it's not for getting your foot in the door anywhere, and it's not going to jump out of the page on your AMCAS profile to application screeners at med schools when your GPA and/or MCAT is low.

However, there is something that you might not be aware of that USC appears to have done to mitigate the essential cancellation of purpose for the MGM program. If you want to know what that is, PM me. I don't want to say anything publicly about it until I know more.

All I'll say is that when Dr. Midlife chased the USC MGM rep off the board with one of her classic harangues, and I tried to mediate and suggest that we work together to help the USC MGM people understand the SMP crowd's needs for more science options and affiliation with their medical campus, USC's MGM managers appear to have listened (to me, that is).

If you want a laugh, and have a few minutes, check out me sparring with Dr. Midlife:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=13191079&postcount=9

Here's me saying that USC MGM should collaborate with us to create a hard science track:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=13194265&postcount=11
Here's my jewel from this thread:
"Further, and possibly most damaging of all, the USC MGM program will miss feedback from us regarding their ability to structure a program that competes with the hard science SMPs back East. That's my opinion. I already emailed them about tailoring a mostly science courseload in their program, and they didn't seem too keen on it. If they knew what I know, I suspect that they'd encourage more sciences and relatively few global medicine classes. Feedback from this place would help them develop their curriculum. People like the dean of admissions at UCD SOM wouldn't have been telling me that the USC MGM program is soft on the sciences, and not as accurate of a predictor of med school success as the SMPs back East. Think about it."

If I can bask in my own self-satisfaction for another minute or so, I don't believe that I would have learned what I did unless I didn't just take people's advice on this forum for finding SMP only options for my specific academic and personal history. I didn't just "read the low GPA sticky" as Dr. Midlife suggested, or apply to SMPs back East, only."

Also, check out the USC Molecular Microbiology and Immunology course pattern vs Tufts SMP:

USC
Introductory Medical Microbiology
Molecular and Cellular Immunology
Infection and Host Response
Cell Biology
Procaryotic Molecular Genetics
Molecular Genetics
Biochemistry
Systems Physiology and Disease I
Systems Physiology and Disease II

Tufts
Molecular Biology
Cell Biology
Tissue & Organ Biology
Biochemistry
Immunology
Physiology
Genetics
Pharmacology
Basic Human Pathology
Introduction to Basic and Clinical Human Anatomy
Nutrition

With electives at USC (pathology, neuroscience, etc), research under an MD/PhD, and a thesis, USC's Mol Micro program is arguably better than any SMP. In fact, USC has one of the best pathology programs in the country, and the Mol Micro program mentioned taking it as an elective because it's a good opportunity. You don't even have to walk far on the USC medical campus to get to the coroner's building, either (joke).

Outside of being graded against medical students, that is. But, if you're a borderline applicant with a 3.3+ and a 30+, like me, there's a skewed risk vs reward of gambling on an SMP back East. Especially since I'm a California resident. I've read about many people exactly like me that did SMPs back East and got a big fat nada.

I even took a drive on over to the medical campus at USC the other day. It's a pretty nice setup that they have. You'd be around med students, doctors, faculty, and a medical magnet high school, even. 95% of the classes are on that campus, too, and not the crummy main campus. These are my opinions.

Last edited:

Hello! This is Jennifer, the Admissions Director for the Master of Science in Global Medicine Program. I am posting to control some serious rumors on this thread. We are very supportive of all pre-health (pre-med, pre-dental, pre-pharmacy, pre-nursing, pre-physician assistant, pre-OT/PT, etc) students in our program. In fact, they make up the vast majority of our students in the program. They have been very successful at matriculating into health professional programs and the office provides direct support and advisement for students with any and all career aspirations. Please contact me in the office at (323) 442-3141 should you have any questions or concerns.