Master of Science in Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xoxoheartx3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on earning a Masters degree before applying/entering pharmacy school in order to boost my chance of getting in and due to other circumstances. At first I was contemplating doing USF's master of science degree (I forget the actual name) but while looking at UF's degree programs I stumbled across their Master of Science in Pharmacy programs. I'm curious if anyone has any information on this degree like whether or not this is something that would benefit me before pharmacy school or it this is something you pursue after pharmacy school. Any information would be of great help. Thank you everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning on earning a Masters degree before applying/entering pharmacy school in order to boost my chance of getting in and due to other circumstances. At first I was contemplating doing USF's master of science degree (I forget the actual name) but while looking at UF's degree programs I stumbled across their Master of Science in Pharmacy programs. I'm curious if anyone has any information on this degree like whether or not this is something that would benefit me before pharmacy school or it this is something you pursue after pharmacy school. Any information would be of great help. Thank you everyone!

-Was this the page you were looking at?

http://gradcerts.usf.edu/certificates/XPA.html

Everyone's opinion is going to be different but ultimately it's your decision to make. I will say that if my school offered a program like that I would probably go into it just to get extra preparation. Some things you might want to think about: (how are your overall academic strengths, do you feel like you could use extra preparation, am I doing something differently than the competition, etc.)

I hope this helps, remember it's just my opinion. Cheers :) !

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using SDN Mobile

I was actually looking at UF's Master of Science in Pharmacy program but thank you for giving me the link to the USF's one! I had no idea they even had one. My GPA/undergraduate academic standings are definitely not that great and only experience I have that is remotely related to pharmacy would be volunteering in the hospital starting this past summer. My PCAT scores aren't too great either (planning to retake next summer). I figured I had no other option but to earn a Master's degree. I was just looking at the different options and was confused. Thank you agin for your input!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was actually looking at UF's Master of Science in Pharmacy program but thank you for giving me the link to the USF's one! I had no idea they even had one. My GPA/undergraduate academic standings are definitely not that great and only experience I have that is remotely related to pharmacy would be volunteering in the hospital starting this past summer. My PCAT scores aren't too great either (planning to retake next summer). I figured I had no other option but to earn a Master's degree. I was just looking at the different options and was confused. Thank you agin for your input!

Consider retaking the science classes that you did poorly in at a community college. It will be a lot cheaper than pursing a master of science degree.

Yeah I think at this point getting a master's degree and killing my PCAT the next time I take it is the only way I can help make myself a better candidate for pharmacy school. I'll look into UF's master programs but thank you for your input everyone!