Master the Boards vs Step Up to Step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zback

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There was a old thread on this, but I wanted to get some more opinions. Which book is the way to go? MTB or SUTS2?

Members don't see this ad.

I have both books, and they're quite different from each other. SUS2 is more of a comprehensive list of the facts that you need to know. MTB is a more superficial review, but it really presents things to you in the way that they're likely to be asked on the test. I think MTB alone is enough to get you to pass, but it won't help you with some obscure left-field facts that you need to know to get an above-average score.

I have both books, and they're quite different from each other. SUS2 is more of a comprehensive list of the facts that you need to know. MTB is a more superficial review, but it really presents things to you in the way that they're likely to be asked on the test. I think MTB alone is enough to get you to pass, but it won't help you with some obscure left-field facts that you need to know to get an above-average score.

Thanks, this was a helpful post to actually know the difference between these books.

If you have used or seen First Aid for Step 2, can you comment on it?

I know different people who have used all 3 resources with success, and there seems to be no clear consensus on here either, so I am sure it just depends on personal preference to some extent too...

I haven't used First Aid... I went for Step Up instead because most people seem to prefer it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is Step up to step 2 similar to step 2 secret ??? I have read MTB and secrets but if step up has more to offer than them would go through it too ....... any suggestions ???

thank you .

I used First Aid and loved it, probably because it is now printed in color (it's the little things).

But in all seriousness, it depends on what type of format you like. I used MTB the first few days but I got frustrated by how much they left out when I was using it with World, but I'm also the type who goes through all the questions I get wrong and looks 'em up in a book, writes stuff in the margins, etc. There was a lot missing and I had to spend a long time writing stuff in. So, a few days in, I chucked MTB and picked First Aid because I like the outline format but its more comprehensive, they have high yield fun facts, and margin space to write additional stuff in. The new edition is really nice - colors, pictures in margins instead of in some picture appendix like the old version.

In all honesty, you really can't go wrong with MTB, Step Up or First Aid - just figure out your study style :)

would using MTB + UWorld be sufficient to get a score of 240 or above? I'm just aiming to do at least 10 points better than my step 1 score of 225