Master thread for those who have found good jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow.

This is some weird stuff. People debate just to debate.

All the so-called “good” practices - INOVA, ROC, SERO come to mind as just a few - select recent graduates that they want to stay with them for decades, not a few years. This is not a “bad” things. Sometimes they hire experienced people, but it’s for a specific job. It’s not a debate. It’s not good, not bad. It’s how they do it. Maybe there is some excellent practice that only takes people with 5-10 years experience and rarely takes recent grads, but I have not come across them.
I did interview at what I thought was a very good practice that said they had never hired a new grad before. Which made me wonder why I was even there. I do agree though that large private groups who are looking for partners want people who will stay for decades if not for the rest of their career.

It did seem to me that most practices I interacted with were open to people with a range of experience, with the caveat that there are way more new grads applying for jobs than experienced people and so it may be easier to hire them. I

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anonymously sent to me:

- Did you get the location you want? In a desirable area?

General region yes but not specific location (a few hundred miles away), few would consider desirable but a mid-sized city by the google definition. Did not have any options closer to preferred location, many jobs required experience.

- Academics, satellite academic, hospital employed, private practice employed, or partnership track?

Hospital employed

- Is this what you wanted?

I was pretty open to any possibilities, took the best job I could find.

- How was the compensation and contract terms?

350-375 range starting then 500+ after a few years, generous additional compensation with benefits and perks I cannot disclose for anonymity, half to one academic day for catching up.

- Did you have any bargaining power to negotiate from the initial offer or was it take-it-or-leave-it?

Some room for negotiation but did not push after they granted a few things, was definitely afraid they could take back offer after hearing horror stories, threaded it very carefully.

- Did you have a non-compete agreement?

Yes. Was it fair? Hard to say and I honestly don't know, Includes multiple counties around the city for 2 years, included clause to dissolve if mutual agreement, was not successful in negotiating it off the contract when I asked.

- What kind of competition did you experience?

I was told they had received "hundreds of applications" and that competition was fierce and very qualified from top institutions.

- Did you feel lucky to get your job or did you have a lot of other similar offers and good choices?

I feel lucky, did not have a lot of offers (many prospects, however), many people ghosted me and I never heard back

- Do you have a positive outlook on the job market going forward?

Not really, I felt the quantity of good jobs was less than I expected and the high level of competition to even get an interview was fierce. I don't really feel negative, just happy that I found something and I can't imagine doing this in a few years in current environment. The process was very stressful.

- What resources did you use to find your job?

ASTRO site

• Sad
Anonymously sent to me:

General region yes but not specific location (a few hundred miles away), few would consider desirable but a mid-sized city by the google definition. Did not have any options closer to preferred location, many jobs required experience.

- Academics, satellite academic, hospital employed, private practice employed, or partnership track?

Hospital employed

350-375 range starting then 500+ after a few years, generous additional compensation with benefits and perks I cannot disclose for anonymity, half to one academic day for catching up.

- Did you have any bargaining power to negotiate from the initial offer or was it take-it-or-leave-it?

Some room for negotiation but did not push after they granted a few things, was definitely afraid they could take back offer after hearing horror stories, threaded it very carefully.

Yes. Was it fair? Hard to say and I honestly don't know, Includes multiple counties around the city for 2 years, included clause to dissolve if mutual agreement, was not successful in negotiating it off the contract when I asked.

I was told they had received "hundreds of applications" and that competition was fierce and very qualified from top institutions.

- Did you feel lucky to get your job or did you have a lot of other similar offers and good choices?

I feel lucky, did not have a lot of offers (many prospects, however), many people ghosted me and I never heard back

Not really, I felt the quantity of good jobs was less than I expected and the high level of competition to even get an interview was fierce. I don't really feel negative, just happy that I found something and I can't imagine doing this in a few years in current environment. The process was very stressful.

ASTRO site
Despite the naysayers on this forum, I've noticed more and more jobs require this along with BC. And why shouldn't they when the market is this oversupplied?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anonymously sent to me:

Hospital employed

ASTRO site
We are certainly seeing a recurring theme: fierce competition in the job market.
Which means just from a probabilistic standpoint there's gotta be, to coin @thecarbonionangle's turn of phrase, increasing numbers of people in the breadlines. But personally I believe if I were in the breadline my energy level to write about it would be zero. So we may only be hearing the "How I Cheated Death and Survived" stories for now.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Despite the naysayers on this forum, I've noticed more and more jobs require this along with BC. And why shouldn't they when the market is this oversupplied?
Although from a pure economics standpoint (I am not an economist but I did read "Freakonomics") it would seem the job givers would be angling for more just-out-of-residency non-BC job seekers because this group would accept lower wages than the BC job seekers.

Reactions: 1 users
Although from a pure economics standpoint (I am not an economist but I did read "Freakonomics") it would seem the job givers would be angling for more just-out-of-residency non-BC job seekers because this group would accept lower wages than the BC job seekers.
I suspect the churn and burn practices are likely have a field day lately

I suspect the churn and burn practices are likely have a field day lately
When you can get a rad onc almost for the price of a dosimetrist, which I was honestly shocked to see recently, the field day is definitely a-play.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
We are certainly seeing a recurring theme: fierce competition in the job market.
Which means just from a probabilistic standpoint there's gotta be, to coin @thecarbonionangle's turn of phrase, increasing numbers of people in the breadlines. But personally I believe if I were in the breadline my energy level to write about it would be zero. So we may only be hearing the "How I Cheated Death and Survived" stories for now.

Glad you agree regarding the breadlines. I suspect you’re right. The people doing incredibly well don’t really post and these opportunities are not available to most people and the people who got completely screwed and lowballed aren’t exactly too excited to come here and tell us about it. It’s like seeing the EBT in the check out line and seeing someone swiping it quick. Its makes people SAD.

i hope other people continue to post their success stories and failures so we can all learn more

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users
ahh classic SDN. the place where sometimes interesting discourse can be had, and other times garbage like 'almost for the price of a dosimetrist' gets posted.

as always, thankfully MGMA exists. even the business subforum where people see legit salary reporting

(in before someone comes and says, 'money is good still yeah, but the issue is geography' - fine then, but don't post untrue **** about salary

• Haha
I think the dosimetrist pay thing refers to Stanford advertising 200k for top scale dosimetrist which is probably about what they pay (or more) for a clinical instructor, or whatever they call the poor MD souls who really need to stay in the Bay Area.

I think the dosimetrist pay thing refers to Stanford advertising 200k for top scale dosimetrist which is probably about what they pay (or more) for a clinical instructor, or whatever they call the poor MD souls who really need to stay in the Bay Area.
That's what I was referring to... we can cite MGMA all we want, but fellowship-enjoying rad oncs, aka "recent graduates," don't even make what a dosimetrist makes.

K
Yes, top pay for dosimetry at UCSF is higher than offers stanford historically has given to first/2nd year attendings. 199 dosimetrist vs around 180k

K

Yes, top pay for dosimetry at UCSF is higher than offers stanford historically has given to first/2nd year attendings. 199 dosimetrist vs around 180k
Who needs Junior faculty if you can just offer "advanced Radiation fellowships" to those pgy5s who really need to be in the Bay area. Guessing you can get a couple of fellows at least for the price of one Junior faculty.

No such option for procuring dosimetry labor, and usually you want them experienced anyways...

How do I get in on some of these dosimetry jobs, do I need another fellowship? /s

Seriously though, talking about career options for unemployed future rad oncs...

Who needs Junior faculty if you can just offer "advanced Radiation fellowships" to those pgy5s who really need to be in the Bay area. Guessing you can get a couple of fellows at least for the price of one Junior faculty.

No such option for procuring dosimetry labor, and usually you want them experienced anyways...

• Haha

Chalk this one up as a @scarbrtj How I Cheated Death and Survived Story. In fact, might better to change the name of this thread to that...

Yes. Yes.

Hospital employed, academic.

Obnoxious cliche warning: yeah, dream job.

starts around 300, upwards from there to >500. Got a small signing bonus.

Mostly take it or leave it. Signing bonus was the only thing I was able to negotiate

Yes. Was it fair? Yeah. It's pretty mild. No restrictions on practice location, only agreed not to solicit health system patients for a relatively short period of time if employment terminates.

In general, a lot. For this specific position, not much. It opened up rather suddenly and they knew I wanted a position like this, so it was an easy yes from both sides.

I feel very, very, very lucky. I applied very broadly and interviewed at 8 places across the country from small, semi-rural PP to large metropolitan academic. Was offered 4 postions. Had originally signed an LOI at a smaller PP in a smaller suburban area but pulled my acceptance once this current position was offered. Of course, my current position was offered to me shortly before the corona pandemic and I've been sweating bullets that my offer might get pulled while I was waiting for the contract to get finalized (not fast). Feels like I got in by the skin of my teeth. Can't imagine how bad I'd feel if this offer had been pulled, knowing I'd had one essentially locked down back in February. Overall, the places that offered me a job were solid places and good to great offers.

No, not particularly. Why? Because #math. There's more trainees and no increased need for rad onc. At some point this job market walks off a cliff...it just wasn't this year. Even still, this was an incredibly stressful process. I count myself lucky because of the three As, affable is my strongest one, which helped a lot in the interview process. I had 4 ASTRO interviews and all 4 offered me subsequent on-site interviews. There was still a ton of competition and a lot of places I sent applications to just never got back to me. Overally I'm happy and relieved to finally have a signed contract, and for a great job in the area my SO and I wanted to be in. But I don't envy anyone following in my footsteps, especially this year with the economic devastation of the covid pandemic starting to bite. Actually still not 100% confident I'm not gonna get an email at some point between now and my start date saying that my contract is getting terminated due to covid financial-related difficulty. Of the people I know who were job-hunting this year, I don't think any of them found it easy (small sample size).

ASTRO site, personal connections

• Hmm
Reactions: 10 users