Masters before applying to dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

b4dental

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently an undergrad in my senior year. I have two semesters left, and my GPA isnt where I would hope it to be. I have two semesters to increase my GPA and get it to almost between 3.10 to 3.35. Since I am applying in my senior year, I will have year off before I am accepted by any dental school.

My options are to either work/with a Bachelors in Biology or obtain my Masters in Biomedical science. The masters program is for one year in which I can take dental physiology and biochemistry to fullfill my major requirements. If anyone has suggestions or has attained their Masters to help with their dental school application, please respond as early as you can. Thanks for your help. :)

Members don't see this ad.

i think anything beyond a bachelor's can't hurt your chances, especially if it's dental related. be sure to put some time out for community service and dental shadowing.

thanks for replying, I am currently working with a dentist, and am receiving the shadowing hours i need. Although, saving up for dental school or getting my masters is what I am struggling with. Hopefully, I will have decided by the end of the year.

If you are refering to the masters program at BU, you should be aware that since the program is organized for unsucessful med school applicants (to squeeze them into some med school and charging them $40k), it may not have any other use if you decide to walk away with it. My advice is that a Masters program from a reputable school is very helpful but one should pick the program very wisely.