Master's Degree, 3.69 GPA, 28 MCAT (2009)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cathstudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I think I have a unique background. In 2009, I graduated with a 3.69 GPA in a combined BS/MD program (i.e. NEOUCOM). I took the MCAT in Jan 2009 (7 PS, 10 V, 11 BS). However, I really wasn't sure I was called to be a doctor, and went to a Catholic seminary. Three years later, and I have an MA in philosophy, and am interested in applying again. I was able to pick up a ton of unique experiences in ministry (like being able to regularly visit inmates at a maximum security prison), but didn't get any research experience in pre-med.

So the big questions, if I would take the MCAT in September, and get the app in as soon as possible, would I be too late? (I see the Marian University takes four year MCATs, so that's an option). Also, what do people do about references in this case? My professors in college don't remember me, nor would any of my academic advisors?

So basically I have a lot of questions, and don't know where to go from here.

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings,

I think I have a unique background. In 2009, I graduated with a 3.69 GPA in a combined BS/MD program (i.e. NEOUCOM). I took the MCAT in Jan 2009 (7 PS, 10 V, 11 BS). However, I really wasn't sure I was called to be a doctor, and went to a Catholic seminary. Three years later, and I have an MA in philosophy, and am interested in applying again. I was able to pick up a ton of unique experiences in ministry (like being able to regularly visit inmates at a maximum security prison), but didn't get any research experience in pre-med.

So the big questions, if I would take the MCAT in September, and get the app in as soon as possible, would I be too late? (I see the Marian University takes four year MCATs, so that's an option). Also, what do people do about references in this case? My professors in college don't remember me, nor would any of my academic advisors?

So basically I have a lot of questions, and don't know where to go from here.
Your MCAT score is three years old...I think it is still valid for this cycle. You should call some schools and find out. I am looking at the 2010-2011 MSAR and I see almost all MD schools considered 2007 mcat score. I think this will likely be true as well for DO. Therefore, If we are in 2012 now, mcat taken in 2009 will be considered.

Your MCAT score is three years old...I think it is still valid for this cycle. You should call some schools and find out. I am looking at the 2010-2011 MSAR and I see almost all MD schools considered 2007 mcat score. I think this will likely be true as well for DO. Therefore, If we are in 2012 now, mcat taken in 2009 will be considered.

I was under the impression that most schools only accepted MCATs from three years from the date of matriculation (thus January 2010 MCAT is the oldest date for most schools in this cycle).

Members don't see this ad :)
I was under the impression that most schools only accepted MCATs from three years from the date of matriculation (thus January 2010 MCAT is the oldest date for most schools in this cycle).
You will need to start networking with those old professors again to try and get letters out of them. As for applying this year, you would need to get on it fairly soon... Your stats are good, but like you know the MCAT is a bit old. You can always call adcoms to make sure that it will be good for them, just to be safe. Another thing to consider is, do you have any shadowing, clinical experience, patient exposure? These are all questions adcoms will have, because they want to make sure that you are serious about being a doctor this time.

Correct. With the exception of Marian and a few other schools, you'll have to take it again if you want to apply for this cycle or the next.

For DO specifically: As long as you finish the rest of your apps (submit primary+secondary+LORs) while waiting for your test results to come back, you should be ok. That way you'll immediately become complete at schools when they recieve your score in Oct. You'll def be at a disadvantage applying late, however, your GPA and MCAT (assuming similar score) are high enough that you should still have a good shot if you apply broadly enough (7+ schools).

For LORs you will need at least 2 from science profs (email or make an appt w/ profs who taught you in undergrad and just explain your situation). Focus on classes that you did well in (ie got an A) and that you got to know the prof. (hopefully they'll remember you or at least teaching that class) Bring a copy of your transcript w/ the class and grade listed as well as your resume and personal statement.

Get 1 from your MA program and also 1 from the seminary if you can.
For DO you'll also need 1 from a MD or preferably a DO.

Assuming you're an Ohio resident, I would highly suggest contacting OUHCOM's admissions dept and scheduling an advising appt. to talk about your app. They are VERY nice and helpful and can give you tons of valuable info on applying there and in general to DO schools.

Also, If you don't already, make sure you have at least some clinical experience and shadowing before you apply.

Let us know if you have any more questions and good luck!