Masters degree from osteopathic med school a "problem" for MD programs?

aokay7

10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2008
Illinois
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello all!

This is a tough question to ask anyone at the school itself, but is completing a masters program at an osteopathic medical school going to be a problem when applying to allopathic med schools?

The program is a masters of biomedical sciences at Des Moines University. It's fairly research-based, which is one of the reasons I find it appealing. I'm not opposed to applying to osteopathic schools, but I'd like to apply allopathic as well (I would actually prefer to attend an allopathic school).

I've asked a few admissions counselors at allopathic schools that I'm interested in and have gotten different responses - all of which were rather vague.

This question is not intended to compare allo/osteopathic, so please don't go there!

Thanks!

ArkansasRanger

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2009
Arkansas
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello all!

This is a tough question to ask anyone at the school itself, but is completing a masters program at an osteopathic medical school going to be a problem when applying to allopathic med schools?

The program is a masters of biomedical sciences at Des Moines University. It's fairly research-based, which is one of the reasons I find it appealing. I'm not opposed to applying to osteopathic schools, but I'd like to apply allopathic as well (I would actually prefer to attend an allopathic school).

I've asked a few admissions counselors at allopathic schools that I'm interested in and have gotten different responses - all of which were rather vague.

This question is not intended to compare allo/osteopathic, so please don't go there!

Thanks!
You want to hear the truth?

You are f****d. Sorry, man.

Geez. You got a master's degree at an accredited university. Get over it. You'll be fine.