Masters degree help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnNorris

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an undergraduate at a 4 year college. I am doing some research I enjoy right now. I am thinking about going my masters before going to med school. Would this help my chances of getting in a better research med school or is it irrelevant?

Members don't see this ad.

I have given it serious consideration. I am not totally decided yet. I really enjoy working with patients. I thought the masters could help decide this.?.

Members don't see this ad :)
Irrelevant unless you need the research experience for an MD/PhD program. If that is your goal, however, it is relevant to note that many MSTP's have a higher MCAT average.

Here is what adcoms want to see--strong performance during undergrad with emphasis on science classes and prereq's, solid MCAT, and experiences that show you are dedicated to a career in medicine. Interviews carry variable weight. Research may help a little bit, but it's not as important as GPA or MCAT by a long shot if you are applying for a straight MD program.

Your graduate GPA would be computed separately, and you would have to get permission from your graduate school.

Unfortunately a strong showing in graduate school does not seem to correlate with medical school success according to adcoms.

I have given it serious consideration. I am not totally decided yet. I really enjoy working with patients. I thought the masters could help decide this.?.

How is a Master's going to help you decide if you like working with patients?

My GPA (so far) and MCAT should (hopefully, i work hard) be decent. I am at a lesser known 4 year college. I thought the masters option would be two-fold. First it would let me see if I would like doing intense research (I already know I like working with patients, but I also find research challenging and fun) and second if I decide research is probably not my destiny in life, it would atleast help my education and help my application.

Just keep in mind that there are plenty of research opportunities availabe in medical school as well (maybe even more than as a Master's student), and if you decide that research is what you'd like to do, there are TONS of medical residency programs that are research-oriented, and the program directors will love you to death. An MD is a great thing to have for both research and patient-oriented work.

My thesis MS in Microbiology, Cell, and Molecular Biology, on the other hand, turned out to be a complete and utter WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY. It made me under-qualified for Master's level jobs (which usually require additional experience and/or a management background) and over-qualified for Bachelor's level jobs (which I couldn't afford to take anyway because grad school put me further in the red). Either way, the MS did not help my education. What DID help was being a freshman chemistry TA during grad school because it probably boosted my MCAT a little.

If you get stuck in a supposed 2-year Masters that turns into 3 or becomes completely unsatisfying (been there, done that), then your enthusiasm for research will quickly deteriorate as you idle by. Then you get flack from your PI for "selling out" and wanting to go the med school route.

My advice would be to go straight into med school. Clear a 30 on the MCAT, and your undergrad school won't matter in the least as far as your state med school(s) are concerned. You'll be good to go.