Masters Degree, will it help in applying to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magisto

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys. I'm new to SDN, so here is my situation. I graduated with B.S in Bio from LIU in 2006, right now i am working on my Masters in Medical Microbiology. I will be applying to MD/DO schools soon.

My question is how to MD/DO schools look at the Masters? I graduated with a 3.27GPA but so far my graduate GPA is 4.0. Will MD/DO schools consider my Graduate GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, they will see your progress as a student, and will likely look positively on it. It won't get factored into your undergraduate GPA, but any time you get really good grades, it looks good.

Yes, they will see your progress as a student, and will likely look positively on it. It won't get factored into your undergraduate GPA, but any time you get really good grades, it looks good.

See Armybound, this is what i'm concerned with. I've asked around about this but the consensus varies from person to person. I really hope they look at it, but the question is how do they factor this in?

Members don't see this ad :)
See Armybound, this is what i'm concerned with. I've asked around about this but the consensus varies from person to person. I really hope they look at it, but the question is how do they factor this in?
It's a trend for them to look at.

I have a relatively low GPA, not unlike yourself, but at my interview last week, they never mentioned it. One interviewer did mention my 4.0 as a graduate student, though.

If the admissions committee sees it as important enough to outweight my low undergrad GPA, I don't know.. but apparently it was good enough for an interview.

I second what armybound is saying. They won't factor it into your undergrad GPA, but they will look at trends. And, schools love boasting about how many students in the class have graduate degrees. More than anything, a 4.0 in a graduate program shows you are capable of excelling in a graduate program, information an undergraduate record can't offer. Apply away--you have every right to be confident about starting med school in the fall!