1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Masters during D-school- help with residency app?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by Mastcoast, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Mastcoast

Hey all,

Just finished my second year and I'm looking for some advice on how to plan for the future. At my school all students are required to complete (as a part of our regular courses) a certificate in public health. They give us the option of upgrading that certificate to a masters by taking a more classes and doing a practicum. This degree would be completed before I finish my 4 years here. My question is this: Will obtaining that masters help me at all with applications to a residency program (specifically endo)? I should mention that the reason I'm asking this is because my didactic scores are not the best, and I don't have a good class rank. I am looking for ways to make myself look more competitive and do all I can that will help me. I have a great deal of extracurricular work and I'm currently working on research. I do really well in clinic, I've just fallen to the back of the pack in terms of my success in the didactics. I'd love to hear what you all think. Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Big Time Hoosier

Big Time Hoosier Man. Myth. Legend.
    Dentist 2+ Year Member

Dentist
    Fixing this will have a much bigger impact than an MPH, in my opinion. And, taking on optional didactic work will likely make it harder to manage your required work.

Big Hoss

PreDentTechySon likes this.
  4. Mastcoast

my only required work from here on out is lab work, which I don't have a problem with -and like I said, I excel at. I understand your point completely though. And I am doing everything I can to make good results count, but the fact is that 90% of my didactics are done so any good results from here don't make a change in the overall.

5. Big Time Hoosier

Dentist 2+ Year Member

Dentist
    If you're gunning for endo, if you don't have good numbers, it's an uphill battle to get in right out of school. Expect to do at least a GPR/AEGD or have a few years of private practice under your belt to have a realistic chance. Also, it seems endo is trending towards requiring the ADAT. A VERY good score, like top 5%, might help offset your GPA/class rank. Are you having to pay increased tuition to pursue the MPH?

Big Hoss

PreDentTechySon likes this.
  6. Saddleshoes

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I know of a case were somebody completed their public heath master's work while doing a GPR the year after they graduated form DS.
    Is that a possibility for you?

7. Mastcoast

Yes, there is an increase in tuition -it's around 10k. We get a 20% discount on the tuition if we choose that path as a student. This is a big reason for why I'm thinking of doing it now. I was also looking at the ADAT, and fully intend on doing as well as I can on that to be able to offset current results.

8. Big Time Hoosier

Dentist 2+ Year Member

Dentist
    That's a lot of money. I personally wouldn't do it.

Like I said, endo likes to see experience beyond dental school -- especially if your "numbers" aren't awesome. My endo friend told me that half of all programs won't even take you seriously without it. But, they'll be happy to take your application fee.

What exactly is your class rank?

Big Hoss