Masters en route to a PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobbyMac

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
UCLA's site says this:

M.A., Ph.D.

The Psychology department admits only applicants whose objective is the Ph.D., although students may be awarded the M.A. en route to the Ph.D.

I'd like to apply for the Masters program, but does this mean I have to qualify for the PhD program as well? I need a Masters program to get my gpa up while i gain some research experience. Not sure if essentially I'd be applying for a PhD program here (which I would not get into) or if they're just looking at my qualifications for a Masters Program (which I would have a shot at.)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, its not a terminal MA. You are applying to the Ph.D program there. You will get a MA/MS in route to the Ph.D in most doctoral programs, this is the norm. The MA is just awarded along the way (after you defend a major thesis). It means little during that time though. I think what you are looking for is a terminal MA program, then apply to a doctoral program after you complete it. and BTW, UCLA is Uber competitive. Look at their clinical program stats. I think its like 250 applicants and 10 acceptances.

Only a few departments offer MA degrees and also have seperate Ph.D programs. Tulsa, Sam Houston, and Central Florida off hand.Their MA program and doctoral programs are completely seperate programs and their is certianly no guarantees they would accept you into their Ph.D program, but it couldn't hurt. Connections and getting to know faculty can pull alot of weight.

Ok thanks great information, thanks again. If I do go to a terminal MA program, say at Cal State, and do well there, do PhD programs that start you off at the MA level allow you to apply for the post-MA portion of the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not really no. You can probably have some of the core foundation classes waived, but they wont accept all of them. It really doesn't cut much time out on average. You will def be be doing some repetition. I'm speaking about clinical programs here btw. However, if you happen to do the MA at the same place that offers a Ph.d program, that will cut your time though. They would accept your masters work and prac hours since it was at the same institution.

I guess that will be a "cross that road when i come to it" issue then. Just to clarify, in this case UCLA would like me to have research experience before even starting the Masters portion of the program, or no?

I'm seriously considering the Social Psychology program which I know is slightly less competitive.

Its a Ph.D program...not a masters program. It's not broken up in to pre and post masters either. All ph.d programs have students earn a masters during the course of it. No Ph.D programs start at a masters level. It just something that comes along the way. The masters mean nothing really during the course of the Ph.D. Don't dwell on this issue. The program at UCLA you are talking about is purely a Ph.D program. Higher admissions standards, totally different skill set needed in comparison to terminal masters programs. Admission to Ph.D programs in clinical run from 2%-10% of the applicants applying at most places.

-Stats for Ph.D programs are GPA over 3.5, GRE V+Q over 1200, and quality research experience in undergrad (several years of it). 3 letters (at least 2 from academic psychologists) and good fit with the professor you are seeking to work with.

-Stats for terminal masters programs (ie., masters only) in clinical are GPA 3.0 or above, GRE V+Q 1000, some resesrch experience, and 3 strong letters.

Last edited: