Masters gpa and Undergrad gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrogE7

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When one has a science masters, do med schools do their initial cut offs using just the masters gpa, or do they first average the undergrad and grad gpa's and then do the cut off?

Members don't see this ad.

The one school I know of primarily used undergrad GPA as the cut off.

It's wierd cause when I call up schools they say that they look at the ENTIRE application. I am sick of hearing the same line!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I was told by a school... THEN I find out from the horses mouth directly (dean of admissions) this is not quite the case. If your application makes it through certain stages it is then looked at entirely. Granted this is only from one school and I don't know what the policy is at other schools.

I'm pretty sure that it's the cumulative BCPM GPA that matters the most. I'm not even sure if the final, submitted AMCAS application even separates the undergraduate GPA from the graduate GPA seeing as deez4life (the guy with Al Pacino from Scarface in his avatar) told me that AMCAS only shows the cumulative BCPM GPA and the cumulative AO GPA (all other courses you've taken).

My amcas separated my grad school grades from my undergrad grades...

Megalofyia,

Did you already submit your AMCAS and do you have your completed, final prinout of your AMCAS app?

yep and they did that last year too. One of the adcoms even mentioned that when I talked to him that it was separate. I did notice, however, that the DO application did combine my undergrad and grad GPA.

Originally posted by BerkeleyPremed
I'm pretty sure that it's the cumulative BCPM GPA that matters the most. I'm not even sure if the final, submitted AMCAS application even separates the undergraduate GPA from the graduate GPA seeing as deez4life (the guy with Al Pacino from Scarface in his avatar) told me that AMCAS only shows the cumulative BCPM GPA and the cumulative AO GPA (all other courses you've taken).

this is not true
from my experience
AMCAS in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM combines undergrad and grad GPA's for BCPM or AO GPA
they are completely separate categories with no overlap between the two

so don't assume that a great grad BCPM will somehow increase OVERALL BCPM cuz it will not happen, since there is no OVERALL SCIENCE GPA

of course, when schools get the AMCAS maybe they combine both and weigh it somehow, but that we will never know