Masters in Arts or Science??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrangeLamp123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am new to this site and this is my first post! I have been getting advice from everyone here from the threads and they all helped a ton! But I do have a specific question..

I am a medical humanities major with a REALLY bad science GPA.I am already going to retake my intro bio courses at my cc over the summer and get a masters, but my science GPA will still be kinda "eh". SO I was thinking about getting a MS in Human resource development or a MA in general psychology with a cognitive focus. I was wondering if either of those will help me with my GPA issue and improve my chances of getting into medical school or DO school.. If not, what masters do you suggest? I am really just trying to figure all this out :)

Thank you for any input! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Mods please move to pre allo

Members don't see this ad :)
Neither of these will influence our perception of your preparedness for the rigors of medical school. Either of them may be personally enriching, however.

There are special master's programs with linkages to particular schools that may fit your purpose, but post-bacc retakes of the classes in which you got c's or less would be the most expeditious route to improving your candidacy at a DO program.

Hi! I am new to this site and this is my first post! I have been getting advice from everyone here from the threads and they all helped a ton! But I do have a specific question..

I am a medical humanities major with a REALLY bad science GPA.I am already going to retake my intro bio courses at my cc over the summer and get a masters, but my science GPA will still be kinda "eh". SO I was thinking about getting a MS in Human resource development or a MA in general psychology with a cognitive focus. I was wondering if either of those will help me with my GPA issue and improve my chances of getting into medical school or DO school.. If not, what masters do you suggest? I am really just trying to figure all this out :)

how bad is your REALLY bad science GPA?

under a 3.0?

My science gpa is about 2.2, but my gpa is 3.2. and I do plan on retaking my bio, so im hoping that will help out. If that won't help, I probably will retake my other courses I made C's in at my local university (because I heard that would look better than a community college).

I wanted to do the post bacc for pre med, but my finances won't allow it. So I am trying to get a functional masters, so that I can possibly have a job if I don't get into medical school then either.

Last edited:
My science gpa is about 2.2, but my gpa is 3.2. and I do plan on retaking my bio, so im hoping that will help out. If that won't help, I probably will retake my other courses I made C's in at my local university (because I heard that would look better than a community college).

I wanted to do the post bacc for pre med, but my finances won't allow it. So I am trying to get a functional masters, so that I can possibly have a job if I don't get into medical school then either.

ouch...a sGPA of 2.2 is really bad.

yeah, definitely retake as many courses as you can, and aim for DO with its grade-replacement policy.

trust me, there's nothing wrong with getting a DO if you just want to be a physician.

i have a 3.6/3.3 and 35 MCAT, and i am considering DO as well...

Yeah, the sGPA of 2.2 is killing me.. But I am considering DO schools too! So do all DO schools replace the low grade with the retake grade? Or only some?

I can understand wanting to get an MS in a field thatmight be a good backup if you can't get into Medicine, but if you're serious about the latter, you need to show us that you can handle medical school.

No one on my AdCom will be impressed by someone with a 4.0 in the MS fields you propose. You might as well take an MS in Philosophy or Dance.

Therefore, re-take any F/D/C coursework and use AACOMAS grade replacement policy, and then apply DO

OR take a SMP or a similar degree in a medical biology field, rock the MCAT and then apply MD.

And make good choices.