Masters in Mental Health Counseling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ng269722

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you could help me out. After i get my MA in MHC in New York, i would like to teach psychology in either a community college or High School. How would i go about doing that in terms of degree requirements to become a teacher? Would i have to acquire an additional masters in education or am i permitted to teach with a MA in MHC?

One of the programs i am applying to is an MS.ED (Masters of Science in Education) and is part of the education department of the school. Would this suffice?

Any input would be helpful,
Thank you!

Nicole

Members don't see this ad.

Nicole

You would typically qualified to teach at the community college level but not the HS level. High school teaching usally requires a teaching license, and all of the education that goes into getting that. Good luck

Jeff

Also, counseling theory is different than psychology theory. Like PsyKardinal said, the 'teaching' requirements are quite different, so you'd need to do some leg work to see what the requirements are in the state you are looking to teach.

-t