Masters in Public Health or Science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sb1759

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am trying to figure out a backup plan in case I do not get into dental school this cycle. Someone suggested to me to look into 1 yr masters programs and then reapply for next year. However, I do not have much knowledge on any masters programs. Does anyone know if an MPH or an MS looks better for dental school? Or which concentration (epidemiology, biostatistics, health policy & management, etc)? I am just wondering what people usually get their masters in when they are reapplying for dental school.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for masters programs in the NY/NJ area? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I am trying to figure out a backup plan in case I do not get into dental school this cycle. Someone suggested to me to look into 1 yr masters programs and then reapply for next year. However, I do not have much knowledge on any masters programs. Does anyone know if an MPH or an MS looks better for dental school? Or which concentration (epidemiology, biostatistics, health policy & management, etc)? I am just wondering what people usually get their masters in when they are reapplying for dental school.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for masters programs in the NY/NJ area? Thank you!

I am in the same situation. I think the problem with going a 1 yr masters program and reapplying next cycle is that you won't have any grades to show the dental school until the update period in Jan. I am not sure though...does that make sense?

I am studying for the GRE and applying for a MS in nutritional sciences. It may not be the best subject to study for improving my dental application, but it is a passion of mine and it should better my standing somewhat. Also, there is a lot of crossover between diet and oral health, so it should come in use.

Hello all,

It depends on what your application is lacking. If your science GPA is low I would not do a MPH. The majority of MPH classes do not count towards your science GPA. I would suggest doing a masters program that is primarily science courses. If your science GPA is good and you just want to show dedication to learning then I think and MPH is good.

Members don't see this ad :)
My science gpa is actually pretty low (3.1'ish) and overall gpa is 3.3 from NYU. Do you suggest an MS instead?

Hello all,

there are really no 1 year master programs. a master usually involves a second year with research. you can do a special masters program without research but those are usually 11 month programs like the one at Georgetown and extremely hard. good luck pulling off a 4.0 considering your in this situation to begin with and the program at Gtown in insanely hard. you can find a certificate program which is one year, ie in like physiology or biochemistry but you should look for one that gives you the option to continue and do the research for the a masters just in case you dont get in again which is a possibility.

My science gpa is actually pretty low (3.1'ish) and overall gpa is 3.3 from NYU. Do you suggest an MS instead?

Don't do the MPH. Since your science GPA is on the low end you need to take and get good grades in upper level science courses. I would suggest doing a program that will allow you to take many of the same classes you will see in dental school (ie, biochem, anatomy, histology, etc.) If you do well in these classes it will show ADCOMS that you can handle that level of science class. Best of luck to you!

There are plenty of masters program that are 1 year... Yes, a lot of them are difficult but there are some easier ones... Barry University is one. There is one I would say stay away from and that is RFUMS in chicago... I say this because I am here right now... haha... this one is for medical students and only to try to get into this medical school. I'm trying to transfer out right now...

would it be a bad idea to do a masters in applied mathematics instead of the bio,chem or physics? my gpa is about 3.5-3.6 ish

Some schools might allow for a mix of MPH and core science classes - if that interests you. Otherwise, drop your time into the science courses. You can still pick up an MPH later on if you want to, but those science courses would be more helpful for you if you have to reapply, to show that you can handle the coursework.

nyu has some programs, i think oral bio or a dental hygiene type thing, i believe both 2 years. umdnj has a masters, some people finish in a year. good luck.

there are really no 1 year master programs. a master usually involves a second year with research. you can do a special masters program without research but those are usually 11 month programs like the one at Georgetown and extremely hard. good luck pulling off a 4.0 considering your in this situation to begin with and the program at Gtown in insanely hard. you can find a certificate program which is one year, ie in like physiology or biochemistry but you should look for one that gives you the option to continue and do the research for the a masters just in case you dont get in again which is a possibility.

Midwestern will be starting a one year science based masters (MA) next year and they also currently have a 2 year research based MBS (Masters of Biomedical Science). Check it out.

i was in the same boat last year. the 1 year programs i found in chicago was MPH or BMS - masters in biomedical science. i wanted to do the MPH because it sounded more interesting, however i met with an admission councilor over the summer and she said that it would not count for much because it doesnt have a strong science core.

i had a low gpa but good dat score, so i opted to save some money and take 18 hours as a non-degree student at a university. my semester just ended, and since then i got a few interviews so it might be a good idea. i took biochem, comparative anatomy, gen psych, and human physiology and got As.

there is also a post-bac forum here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=71

good luck

bump:thumbup:

I am looking for 1 year programs in CA. Something that doesn't require GRE. I will be graduating soon and I also need to raise my science GPA. The only program I found so far is Kinesiology.

Help?

We have a two year Master's of Biomedical Sciences program here at ATSU-MO. You are not committed to the entire two years though. You spend the first year taking basic science classes and research classes and doing research. The second year is spend finishing a research project and writing a thesis. I've really enjoyed my time in the BMSCI program and I feel that it really improved my application. www.atsu.edu