1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Masters in public health

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by up40loves, Jun 21, 2008.

1. up40loves

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Do grad school grades get factored in your undergrad GPA? I know a lot of people from my school who had average GPAs and they are planning to do an MPH before applying to med school and so I was curious

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. up40loves

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  4. sunset823

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Fellow [Any Field]
    no; grad is listed separately

Having gone through a great deal of time and money to get a masters degree (which I fully intend to use in my medical career), my advice is only do it if you have genuine interest - it's going to do nothing to 'pad' your application

5. martin41

5+ Year Member

Your graduate course work and grades are listed on your AMCAS application, but the grades are not factored into your undergrad GPA. I can say from experience that public health grades are not the same as undergrad science grades...my MPH gpa is about half a point higher than my undergrad gpa and its a lot less work. I think most adcoms are aware of this.

As far as I know, the only way to improve your undergrad gpa after graduating is to do a post-bacc.

6. Agree with the above posts.

Getting an MPH won't help your undergrad GPA - they're listed differently on AMCAS. Having a Master's counts as a "nice extra-curricular" on your app, so it behooves you to bring up your undergrad GPA through post-bac classes, as stated above.

7. bcat85

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Now I want you to think about what you just asked there.