Masters in School Counseling-NYU? Loans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Littlechikita

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just received news that I was accepted into the school counseling masters program at NYU (Yay!) except I havent heard back about scholarships yet and there is no way I can afford this. Some family/friends have expressed concern about whether taking out a loan is a good idea if I'm getting this degree that will lead to me making a decent but not extraordinary salary as a guidance counselor. Some of my friends say I should take the risk and follow my dreams and like me dont know how I could think about passing up this opportunity. I obviously would like to take the loans but I dont know how reasonable that is and I dont have anything to really base it off of. I was wondering if anybody can lend me some advice or an opinion regarding this matter. Also I am still waiting to hear from Columbia and CUNY hunter regarding my admission/scholarships for the same program. Does anybody know about the programs at these schools and can tell me some pro's and cons?
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Hopefully somebody out there has some helpful news, anything you have to say would be GREATLY appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I would say take the risk and go for your dreams. You could always attend a more affordable school but if your taking out loans go for the best, that will accept you into their program. Especially if there isn't any other way to pay for this, such as help from family, or working another job to save up money. I have taken loans out to attend a private University, and there are no guarantees in the end. The fact that I am living a dream, is all that matters for me.

Thanks you for the reply! I like your advice to follow my dreams...I'm still scared about how reasonable it is though. I'm doing school counseling so its not like im gonna be a doctor or a lawyer. I dont wanna pay off loan my entire life! although i could win the lotto

Members don't see this ad :)
hey.. i'm in the same boat... i had so many questions... and so many replies from professionals in my field (occupational therapy w/ doctorates), work supervisors (who have phds), friends who have studied abroad both east coast and in europe (i'm from california), and from family.

i've had so much info given to me that things have really become much clearer as to where i want to go for grad school. i was accepted to 5 programs and 1 waitlist.. my final 3 schools were 1. USC (waitlist) 2. NYU, and 3. Loma Linda U. NYU is expensive, but as everyone says to me... you'll realize the benefit from a costly education... or simply put (if you really know what you want, what the school can provide, who you're advisor will be, and what you want to do after school) you get what you pay for- AND though there will be payments, they'll eventually be paid off and the fact that you will have an education where you really want (dream school) that will be the most beneficial for you and satisfying (just so long as it truly is what you want going into the program).

Here's a site for some loan questions... http://www.finaid.org/calculators/loanpayments.phtml
there is hope after school when it comes to payments....
if i end up with 130k in loans... if i paid ~2500 a month... it's done in ~72 months. You'll still have the rest of your life to enjoy :)

as my supervisors in OT told me... if you really just want to get a career, work 9-5, and get on with your life... a decision based on tuition is really easy... go for the cheapest... you'll end up finding work anyways. however, if you have a desire to be the best, possibly furthering or contributing somehow to your field/career.. then why not go with the best school without the fear of high tuition. there are many who would like to debate that idea and i welcome it :)

for example. since i'm from california... it would be difficult for me to choose based on tuition between ucla (public) vs usc (private) obviously the public is a bit cheaper. but both schools are great in their respects. similarly... NYU vs Columbia. which is best? tuition.. probably similar. the question is what program fits you best or do you fit into?

a list of things come to mind after all the advice.....
tuition, personal interest, school prestige, work connection/networks, highly recognized professors, living costs, financial aid, program was founded ____, mission statement/curriculum focus, length of program, family input, and the list goes on....

presently... i know i want USC. however in reality i'm waitlisted and i'm more than happy to choose NYU as my primary school entering this fall 09. But though i may lose a $200 deposit and possibly registration fees. i am willing to drop everything to go to the school i know and have researched to the the best fit for my education and goals- so i continue to hope in my waitlist priority standing. NYU is very similar to everything USC offers. in the end, you need to really go for something without doubts or regrets.

i was a psych major too ad UC Riverside... my co worker wants to be a counselor and has a family. His priorities are gear towards being available to the family and attaining that degree. so unlike him, you may be more free to the opportunities ahead. he had to choose due to a limitation by time and finances (he chose the cheapest, shortest, and night class type program... still a great program within the area.... if you just want a 9-5 job).

so while we're both still seeking a career and yet have to start families, we may yet be able to live a dream and enjoy before settling down into our careers.

You really have to think about how much you can comfortably pay a month. My cousin in DC thought she would be able to swing her loan amounts, but living expenses, even without a car, got to be very expensive. he said the reality of loans hit you very quickly and negotiating with loan providers isn't something you want to do. They are much better at giving them out. : )
My advisor told me to remember you wont just have your loan bill, it's easy to fixate on just that number....unless family is helping you, you might also have car loans, car insurance, cell phone bill, rent, utilities,food, train fare, clothing, the list goes on. Counselors make decent money, but you have to look at starting salaries.
I have another cousin that went to an expensive private school for grad school and since it was close to home, lived there....not the norm but it worked for him. He gritted his teeth for 3 years until he saved enough to move out and put a dent in his loans. Everyone does something different, but "your dream" might turn into a nightmare if you just fixate on a particular school. I hope it works out for you. I overthink things and wish sometimes I could just "jump in!".

Hello!,
I Know this post was written 11 years ago but I am in the same position as you were before right now. After all these years what did you (Littlechikita) end up doing? Did you go to NYU or Hunter College? Did you enjoy completing your Master Degree at the school and did you find a job right away? Thank you! and sorry for asking so many question.
Best,
Kr

Hello!,
I Know this post was written 11 years ago but I am in the same position as you were before right now. After all these years what did you (Littlechikita) end up doing? Did you go to NYU or Hunter College? Did you enjoy completing your Master Degree at the school and did you find a job right away? Thank you! and sorry for asking so many question.
Best,
Kr
You're not likely to receive any responses from them. None of these people have been around here in more than a decade.