Master's "Interview"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wdd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm heading out to see a school in which I'm very interested, meeting with the head of the department to talk about the program, my background, strengths and deficiencies, etc. I've done this before, and it seems to have worked in my favor (though it was not an official interview, I do interview rather well). I'm actually very excited, since this is my top choice for MA/MS programs, and I seem to already have a good report with the dept. head.

My question is this: Is it a no-no to also directly contact heads of the labs I'm interested in working as an RA, or is that crossing the line when the school doesn't have a formal interview policy? I'm mostly concerned that I'll be going out there over fall break, and would like to find out if these professors will even be on campus. I also will not be able to make it back out there till some time next year.

I also wasn't planning on wearing a tie, just a suit and dress shirt ... again, not a formal interview ... of course I know that on a regular, formal, PhD interview I'd dress as if it were an interview for a job (which is mostly is, anyway). But I wonder if it would be too formal to do so in this situation.

I appreciate anyone's input!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone? Anyone? Beuhler?

Well, I went ahead and wrote to one of the lab heads anyway. I doubt I'll hear back in time (I'm heading out for my meeting w/ the dept. head on Friday), but who knows?

Now hopefully I will get into this program .................................

correct me if i'm wrong (and i'm sure someone will!) but when you apply to programs, esp. phd ones, you often email/make contact with profs you are interested in working with, so i don't see why this would be different. if they're not available, i'm sure they'll tell you (or just not write back). i guess i'd just make sure that, if you are meeting with someone you'd want to RA with, to read up on thier work before meeting with them in person.

wardrobe wise, i imagine a full suit would be fine, possibly overkill, and that dressing nicely (button down, blazer or sweater, slacks, no tie suit thingy) would be fine too. that's how most of the most formal male profs at the uni's i've been at dressed.

good luck!!! i'm sure you'll do well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, Kyril. I think I'm at that point now where I'm nervous and just asking stupid questions. Thanks for humoring me :)

correct me if i'm wrong (and i'm sure someone will!) but when you apply to programs, esp. phd ones, you often email/make contact with profs you are interested in working with, so i don't see why this would be different. if they're not available, i'm sure they'll tell you (or just not write back). i guess i'd just make sure that, if you are meeting with someone you'd want to RA with, to read up on thier work before meeting with them in person.

wardrobe wise, i imagine a full suit would be fine, possibly overkill, and that dressing nicely (button down, blazer or sweater, slacks, no tie suit thingy) would be fine too. that's how most of the most formal male profs at the uni's i've been at dressed.

i do agree with him. actually, this is what i did before i decided to really apply for my psych masters. i talked with my former professors in undergrad who is also professor emeretus in that university. they really do not give us a tip or hint on how to pass the interview rather, it will just make you realize what will be your possible answers on general questions that are really detrimental to your acceptance in the program. guess old wisdom always work...:D