Masters-Level Neuropsych Practice in Texas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theSteppenwolf

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Saw this on Facebook this morning on the Division 40 page. Thoughts?

Society for Clinical Neuropsychology, Division 40 of APA

Fellow Neuropsychologists,

A recent Texas rule change allows Master’s level clinicians to practice Neuropsychology *independently* (yes, they would have full rights and privileges to do and to bill for anything that a PhD/PsyD neuropsychologist does currently). I think that we can all agree that this will endanger patients because no one can achieve competence in Neuropsychology in a 2-year Master’s program alone. And the danger is profound because once there is a precedent in any one state, the professional boundaries can tumble across the states like dominoes.

Below, the NAN Legislative Action & Advocacy Committee has provided the link to a survey that the Texas Board has issued to solicit open comments; they also provided some talking points that you can consider in completing the survey.

***PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES NOW AND RESPOND TO THIS SURVEY***

Also, please circulate this to Neuropsychology colleagues at your institution and through any other networks!

Texas State Board of Examiners of PsychologistsCompetency Standards Survey

Members don't see this ad.

Took the survey.

Yet another reason why TX is out as a place psychologists should want to practice. I thought their “school neuropsychologist” made up title and sham certificate were rock bottom....

Reactions: 1 users
Took the survey.

Yet another reason why TX is out as a place psychologists should want to practice. I thought their “school neuropsychologist” made up title and sham certificate were rock bottom....
Exactly my thoughts. This is a race to the bottom for quality service and heads in the opposite direction of professional trends.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't take the survey because I'm still a doc student. This just seems weird to me. I don't understand the rationale at all.

Don't understand the rationale from which side?
Don't understand how people could believe that masters-level clinicians could provide competent services in this area. Sorry, I thought that was clear.

Dear god this is terrifying. I'm a masters level clinician and I barely feel equipped to practice regular psychotherapy lol.

In order to meet the mental health/health care needs of the people, states need to stop stripping away funding from universities. Watering down requirements to a point where practice would be (likely) harmful is not the answer. It’s so frustrating.

In order to meet the mental health/health care needs of the people, states need to stop stripping away funding from universities. Watering down requirements to a point where practice would be (likely) harmful is not the answer. It’s so frustrating.
I don't really think it's a funding issue. I'm betting this is arising more out of advocacy and lobbying from master's level providers and their professional organizations. They want to expand their scopes of practice and increase their billing. Neuropsych assessment is going to bring in significantly more money than simply doing private practice therapy.

I don't really think it's a funding issue. I'm betting this is arising more out of advocacy and lobbying from master's level providers and their professional organizations. They want to expand their scopes of practice and increase their billing. Neuropsych assessment is going to bring in significantly more money than simply doing private practice therapy.
This is true, I'm a member of a master's level professional organization from the license I had before I started my PhD and I get emails non-stop related to advocacy on behalf on getting master's level clinicians all the same rights as doctoral level clinicians. It seems like at least in my state and at the federal level that they've been quite successful. A recent example is getting the state law changed so they can do worker's comp and disability evaluations which as some with this level of license seems like a terrible idea.

Reactions: 1 user