Masters of Applied Positive Psychology (MAPP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbrons

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever heard of the MAPP program run by Dr. Seligman (learned helplessness)????

http://www.sas.upenn.edu/lps/graduate/mapp

If I don't get into any of the MD schools in my state, this is definitely what I want to do. Anyone else interested in this or heard of this program? Any comments at all? Seligman is my hero.

Members don't see this ad.

I found out about this program earlier in the year and was also interested in it. I'm on their mailing list so I receive a lot of information about info sessions and such that they hold. I would look up current students or alumni on their website and email them - ask what they thought of the program and how marketable it was. The program looks so intriguing, but I think that you'd have to use the degree as an application to another field - either in an applied setting that you've been in (executive coaching, for example), or as a specialty en route to a PhD.

I found out about this program earlier in the year and was also interested in it. I'm on their mailing list so I receive a lot of information about info sessions and such that they hold. I would look up current students or alumni on their website and email them - ask what they thought of the program and how marketable it was. The program looks so intriguing, but I think that you'd have to use the degree as an application to another field - either in an applied setting that you've been in (executive coaching, for example), or as a specialty en route to a PhD.

I'm considering doing this 1-year program in addition to medical school. I am a big fan of psychology and especially Seligman. I think it could really be beneficial to have those skills in any career.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm on their mailing list too, and I like the concepts, but it concerns me that they seem focused so much more on life coaching than on licensed practice. Life coaching is fine if you only want to work with clients that have enough money to pay out of pocket and have no mental health disorders.

I'm on their mailing list too, and I like the concepts, but it concerns me that they seem focused so much more on life coaching than on licensed practice. Life coaching is fine if you only want to work with clients that have enough money to pay out of pocket and have no mental health disorders.

I don't get that feeling from positive psychology. Learned Optimism by Seligman has 1/3 of the book devoted to how they use their techniques with depressed people. I think MAPP is mostly for other professionals who want to use those tools in their career in human services... at least that what seems like the majority of matriculants are doing.

Hey,

So if your still interested, I'm a Post-MD who is actually planning on applying to MAPP this year as well. I graduated out of country so i am in the midst of writing my USMLE board exams and hopefully want to take the program next fall to complete it before I match in 2010 ( this is of course in the hope that I do match...smirk). Yeah I do respect Dr.Seligman's work and what he is doing applying psychology in this way. I hope that if I do get accepted, it wil benefit my future practice and career. Working in the medical field is a bitch on a person's psyche. Everybody is there because they want to help, but they are all tired, over-worked and grumpy. Not to mention the sad social life doctors have...lol. Have you heard anything new information about the course? Have you read the book happiness hypothesis? If your a fan of Seligman then i am sure you'll appreciate this book as well.

Last edited:
Hey,

So if your still interested, I'm a Post-MD who is actually planning on applying to MAPP this year as well. I graduated out of country so i am in the midst of writing my USMLE board exams and hopefully want to take the program next fall to complete it before I match in 2010 ( this is of course in the hope that I do match...smirk). Yeah I do respect Dr.Seligman's work and what he is doing applying psychology in this way. I hope that if I do get accepted, it wil benefit my future practice and career. Working in the medical field is a bitch on a person's psyche. Everybody is there because they want to help, but they are all tired, over-worked and grumpy. Not to mention the sad social life doctors have...lol. Have you heard anything new information about the course? Have you read the book happiness hypothesis? If your a fan of Seligman then i am sure you'll appreciate this book as well.

I'll take a look at it... good luck on the USMLE and MAPP. In return, I recommend "Happier" by Dr. Tal Ben-Shahar, probably one of the best books ive ever read. Definitely worth checking out.

Hello guys!

You may not see this message since it is such a late reply to your thread, however if you do then great...

I'm in the MAPP Program right now and would be willing to answer any questions you may have about it! All I have to say is it is an absolutely amazing program. I've loved it. The people are great...I'm in a class of students who are at the peak of their careers--Doctors, Lawyers, a Duke Law Professor, a UPenn teacher, a UN peacekeeper in Darfur, a leader in Pricewaterhouse coopers (Not sure if that's spelled correctly!), and the list goes on and on--They are amazing and "trail-blazing" kinds of people.

As for me, I had applied to medical school following college for two years in a row, got rejected both, sadly (my gpa in college wasn't great). I've worked in research, wilderness therapy programs for at-risk youth, and in hospital clinics since then. I've let a few years pass in the application process (I'm almost 26 now) but I've had the opportunity to get into the MAPP program and learn from the top leaders in the positive psychology field. Our professors include Martin Seligman, David Cooperrider (Appreciative Inquiry), George Valliant, etc.

I can't say enough great things about the program. It's wonderful. As for me, I plan on applying to MD/PhD programs for fall of 2010. And, best of all, through the MAPP program, I've done very well gradewise. My upcoming application cycle shouldn't be nearly as stressful as before! I have a whole new outlook on what I want to accomplish with an MD degree now. The program has changed my life! :)

If you get the chance to enroll in it...YOU SHOULD! :) Good luck!