Masters of Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stookie

Slick Nasty
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anyting about the masters progam in biology at St. Joseph's College in Conneticut? Anyone attended? Would a masters in bio hold just as much weight with adcoms as an SMP degree?

Members don't see this ad.

stookie said:
Does anyone know anyting about the masters progam in biology at St. Joseph's College in Conneticut? Anyone attended? Would a masters in bio hold just as much weight with adcoms as an SMP degree?

Most SMP classes are taken with 1/2 year medical students which is why they are competative programs. That is not the case with ordinary graduate school classes, including those at St. Josephs.

Sundarban1 said:
Most SMP classes are taken with 1/2 year medical students which is why they are competative programs. That is not the case with ordinary graduate school classes, including those at St. Josephs.

Im finishing up a MS in bio in may. W/ a concentration in molecular cell bio and cancer. I would say that if you keep a GPA above 3.5 the degree would be looked highly upon

MSc44 said:
Im finishing up a MS in bio in may. W/ a concentration in molecular cell bio and cancer. I would say that if you keep a GPA above 3.5 the degree would be looked highly upon

First of all, I'm not an expert, just someone trying to figure it out.I'm completing 30 credits + comprehensive exam MA in BIO in May. It's definiately good learning & I think will be well respected if I decide to apply. But I've been advised by former US MD program adcom chair, that a SMP is a more direct route. An SMP is also more direct prep for med school, as it is stuff you will largely retake in more depth in med school.

But still a MS in Bio is a pretty good alternative for many.