Masters of Science in Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lespf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, what a great website. I've been on here for sometime now just lurking through the individual forums and finally decided to make a screen name. I come to you all for some suggestions as I just recently committed to a career path in Pharmacy and want to know what you all suggests in my attempt to fulfill this goal.

I'm a Senior currently majoring in Biochemistry with a secondary field of study in Health Science Programs. As I had mentioned before, I've just recently committed to a career path in Pharmacy and was thinking of going for a Masters of Science in Pharmacy or Pharmacology but was wondering if that's stupid if I want a Pharm.D. I want to strengthen my credentials although I do have strong EC and easily obtainable LOR's from reputable professors who I've either done research with or have been lectured by with very respectable publications. Regardless, is pursuing a MS worth it when one ultimately plans to seek a Pharm.D? The bottom line here is that my undergraduate program of study was rather intensive and my GPA fell to around 3.2 and is not a clear reflection of what type of student I am. I plan to enroll into pharmacy the earliest Fall 2010 and with this post undergraduate year coming up I want to reflect to adcom's exactly what kind of student I am with a solid course work. I've been told by my advising team that with my courseload enough it should be a clear reflection already but I'm not a 3.2 student and will not allow myself to be addressed as one. Therefore, my reasoning to pursue some post-undergraduate studying in order to strengthen my credentials. What do you all suggests?

Members don't see this ad.

It would probably be better to do something more related to pharmacy practice, like working as a tech. Unless you want to pursue research long-term, there's no point and makes you look a bit undecided IMO. There's no way you could finish a master's program by Fall 2010 unless your school has one of those accelerated master's, but honestly that would still be pushing it. Also, the master's classes you would take would be likely to actually bring down your GPA rather than raise it. Pharmacy schools also consider your undergrad classes and really grad classes don't help you out for admissions. So do it if its something that interests you go for, but it won't help your app.

OP, I'm sorry, but you ARE a 3.2 student. Barring any unforeseen life events out of your control, you are totally responsible for your grades. Deal with it, and don't make any excuses. The fact is that for every student who cries "intensive coursework" as a result of poor grades, there are many others who pull off straight A's with more intense coursework.

That being said, if you want a PharmD, the masters will not do you any good, IMO. If you want a PharmD, get a PharmD. Every year you spend trying to boost your credentials is a lost year in which you would have been paid a pharmacist's salary. If, as you believe, you are a better student than your grades currently show, take the PCAT, blast it out of the water, write a killer personal statement, apply broadly, and rock your interviews. You have decent EC's already.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, I'm sorry, but you ARE a 3.2 student. Barring any unforeseen life events out of your control, you are totally responsible for your grades. Deal with it, and don't make any excuses. The fact is that for every student who cries "intensive coursework" as a result of poor grades, there are many others who pull off straight A's with more intense coursework.

QFT:thumbup:

I disagree. He could HAVE BEEN a 3.2 student, but not anymore. As a student matures, their study habits and time management skills continue to develop. They eventually may develop into a 3.5+ student. Schools are getting the finished product.

#1. Have you taken the PCAT? If not, do as well as you possibly can (85+)
#2. A 3.2 is not a bad GPA. It is not as competitive as one would like it to be, but it's not bad. Having a 3.2 GPA does not make you any less of a student, especially with a Biochem degree.
#3. A lot of people say that having a Master's does not help. I disagree. I am finishing my Master's this year, and I find that schools are a lot more receptive towards you if you have that additional schooling. It makes you seem more determined -- just make sure you do well in the program.
#4. I have a 3.3 cumulative GPA, I know I am capable of doing better and will do better in pharmacy school, and I make sure to tell the adcoms that in personal statements/interviews.
#5. Adcoms look at trends in GPAs. If you started out rough 4-5 years ago, you will be forgiven for it, just make sure to apply to a wide range of schools, every school has different standards.
#6. Get some pharmacy experience: retail, hospital, shadow, do anything you can find that is pharmacy related.
#7. Stay optimistic! And good luck to you :)