Masters or 5th year?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by wingy, Aug 26, 2001.

1. wingy

wingy Member

Currently my GPA is not too hot. Its not at the competitive average for medical school acceptance. Right now I am going to be a 3rd year and I have completed almost all of my pre-reqs for medical school.
    I need some advice as to whether I should take on another major that would boost my science GPA that would require me to stay a 5th year or should I graduate in 4 years and apply and then if I don't get in, get my masters and apply again?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dknykid1980

dknykid1980 Senior Member

I'm doing the latter. I just took the aug mcat and am going into my senior year. I say just give the mcats a shot. I mean i think at the least its good practice. If things dont turn up the way i hope they will i'll prolly do a master's program and apply again.

4. cm7b5

cm7b5 Senior Member

First, I would do a realistic appraisal of how much you could raise your GPA by attending school for another year (which I hope you have done already.) Most likely it will be around one or two tenths of a point. In this case, I say get the masters.....and ace the MCAT. Good luck! :D :) :) :)

5. pyra

pyra Senior Member

Attending Physician
    I was also worried at the end of my second year and my advice is to work hard next year and see how you do after your junior year. A 5th year is not necessary if you can improve your 3rd and 4th year. You can always take a year off after you graduate and apply during your 4th year so that you can count your 4th year classes in the application.

6. kobe8

kobe8 Member

Wingi,
    According to the information you gave, I would say that its best for you to work to increase you GPA this year and most importantly, do well on the MCAT. I, like you had a low GPA in undergrad and recently completed my masters degree in physiology. I applied for the 2001 entering class and was waitlisted, but not accepted. The reason? While I did well in the masters program my MCAT scores was modest at best. From speaking to schools were I was rejected, it was the only reason why I was not accepted. In fact, at one of my interviews, my interview said to me, "I am going to reccomend that the admissions committee accept you into our program". After recieving my rejection letter, I quickly called him and asked what happened. He told me that the committee could not take me because my scores were not competitive. The point of my story is that as long as there is a trend towards improvement in your GPA your will be fine. However, by doing solid on your MCATs you will definitely get in.

7. sunflower79

sunflower79 Plays well with knives

Attending Physician
    Hey Kobe,

Would you mind telling us more details about your situation, including
    - your undergrand gpa and mcat score
    - the school where you got waitlisted
    - what you are doing in reapplying

I am in a similar situation except I graduated and just took the Aug mcat (whew!). I am considering doing an MPH before applying to med school, but have received mixed responses about it from med schools. I will post this issue on a separate thread so please look for it.