masters or post bacc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lumanyika

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a biochem. graduate student,and I would like to enter into medicine after I've worked for about a year or two following completion of my masters degree.I've read,and been told that not a lot of graduates at the masters level enroll in medical school(about 12%);and I've been adviced that post Bacc. courses carry a heavier weight than graduate completion with most adcoms in medschools.But the thing with post Bacc. courses(and if I'm wrong,please correct me)is that if I don't get accepted into medical school,then I wouldn't have an optimal academic cusion to fall back on as I would having a masters degree!
Well,enough of my rumbling.it's too late anyway for I have two semesters left to complete my garduate degree.is this a terrible "catch 22" or what??

Cheers,
THE DEAD GUY IN ROOM #4

------------------
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN,MUCH IS EXPECTED.

Members don't see this ad.

You do not say if you have at least a year of general biol for biology majors, but I assume you did. You have more than enough chemistry, math and physics if you are already a grad student in biochem, or even an upperclassman undergrad.
First of all, if you start, or have already started an MA program, be sure to finish your MA if that is what you choose to do. Many--maybe most--med schools want you to finish it before you begin med school if you are accepted. A postbac program is unsuitable; few will accept you for those programs are mainly for students who have none or very few of the science courses. Even as a grad student in biochem, you could, if you choose to, probably take some undergrad science courses to beef up the science GPA, if that is a problem. It may delay your application longer than wish, but if getting a medical education is important, a priority, you do it. You should get your masters for another reason: you might not be accepted to a US medical school, and in that case, unless you are willing to go abroad, if you want to be an employed biochemist you will need the degree. Nothing worthwhile is easy. You have to learn to accept delayed gratification if that is what happens. Good luck. May the Force be with you. Live long and prosper. And any other suitable homilies.