Masters Program For Foreign Trained Dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toothlaw

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I thought that we can start a thread on this as many students would like to know about "Masters Program "that is offered by many universities to Foreign Trained Dentists.If you have any information regarding any other programs , please do post your info , and if anyone is already enrolled in such a program , kindly post your information also.
Thanks
Toothlaw

Members don't see this ad.

Kindly post any info ..on masters programs

Graduate Programs
---------------------------
Check this one out

The Department of Oral Biology offers a pre-doctoral curriculum in applied basic sciences including the fields of development, structure and function of the hard and soft tissues of the oral cavity and face, the molecular biology of oral tissues and fluids, oral pathology, oral microbiology and immunology, the etiology, pathogenesis and prevention of dental caries and periodontal diseases and research for pre-doctoral students.

Curricula for the M.S. and Ph.D. programs are offered through the Department of Oral Biology. Several programs are available through the Department of Oral Biology to accommodate students with different educational objectives.

Doctor of Philosophy
Master of Science
Master of Science (for Dental Hygiene Educators)
Master of Science in Dentistry

http://www.dental.washington.edu/ob/graduate.programs/graduate.programs.htm

Members don't see this ad :)
NYU
------
http://www.nyu.edu/dental/advanceded/oralbiology/description.html

ADMISSION TO THE M.S. PROGRAM IN BIOLOGY/ORAL BIOLOGY

The M.S. Program in Biology/Oral Biology seeks candidates of the highest caliber to make a major contribution to the newer knowledge in oral biology.

The program is open to candidates with a dental degree from a US or international dental school, or with a baccalaureate or equivalent. Candidates are chosen based on their academic records, recommendations, and an assessment of the candidate's scientific potential. All candidates must meet the requirements of the Department of Biology of the Graduate School of Arts & Science. Candidates should have a strong background in biology, chemistry, mathematics, and physics. A supervisor, who is a member of the graduate faculty, is assigned to each student to closely monitor the student's progress.

Applicants who are graduates of international dental schools are required to submit evidence of all previous education and training. This should include 1) a copy of the applicant's diploma from a dental school listed and approved by the World Health Organization (copy of original and certified English translation); 2) a copy of the applicant's school transcript (copy of original and certified English translation); and 3) a letter of recommendation from the dean or other senior faculty member. The applicant must also understand and be able to communicate in English, both written and oral. Accordingly, every applicant whose native language is other than English is required to take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) and to submit the scores. Scores of less than 230 are generally not acceptable.

Candidates are encouraged to apply one full year prior to the starting date of the program, as listed in the bulletin of the Graduate School of Arts & Science. The M.S. Program in Biology/Oral Biology usually accepts candidates for admission for the fall term but spring term admissions are also decided on an individual basis.

Students are awarded the M.S. degree upon 1) completion of 36 credits with an average of B or better, of which 8 credits must be based on an original research thesis which is mandatory, and 2) completion and defense of an original research project.

Application Procedures
Applications for admission to the M.S. Program in Biology/Oral Biology can be obtained by writing to:

Graduate School of Arts & Science
New York University
Office of Admissions and Financial Aid
6 Washington Square North
Post Office Box 907, Cooper Station
New York, NY 10276-0907
Telephone: (212) 998-8050
Fax: (212) 995-4180

Further information about this program may be obtained by writing to:
Graduate Coordinator
Department of Basic Science & Craniofacial Biology, #837S
New York University
College of Dentistry
345 East 24th Street
New York, NY 10010
Telephone: (212) 998-9545
Fax: (212) 995-4087

Great thread toothlaw!

On the ADA document "Dental licensure...." they have this list of post graduates programs at universities that are willing to accept foreign graduates. Interested members should check on that as well.

Thanks Toothlaw !
Was really doing a lot of research on MS for dental students as a non resident of US.
This information is detailed , relevant and what i was loooking for !
Keep up the good work!

Hi!
Bikki and anyone else interested in MS/PhD programs; am working on my PhD in Oralbiology.
If u've got questions, shoot'em! I will be glad to tell you what I know!

Good job pals:thumbup:

A warm welcome to dr jennex:)

Well, today's post was my first! And here's my follow on! I've got to say that I am glad to join the community :)!

From reading through the forum I didn't see many posts/discussions regarding MS/PhD programs, both clinical and non-clinical!
Is it because these programs are not considered so much as a preference or an option when compared to the IDP/DDS programs? Curious to know!

Thanks everybody for the all the info shared! Great job :)

Dr.Jennix,

Pl check your PM...

BTW, does anyone know of resources for the GRE?..i started two months ago but suddenly lost interest in the gre when i realized that the English is complicated. the sample exams are a mess..i never passed..i will have to create a dictionary for my self!
I started to look for masters that do not require gre, and ofcourse i am left with the public health.
any courses or online resources ??

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by gsmm

I started to look for masters that do not require gre, and ofcourse i am left with the public health
----------------

oops:(

All I was thinking till now is that there should be some schools which will have MS programs in clinicals & that they don't require GRE- meaning that we can apply with TOEFL & PART 1 NBDE SCORES.

Anyone done any research on the MS clinical speciality programs that don't require GRE in US dental schools?

PLS throw some light:) Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
All graduate studies require public healthy including Public health, unless it is a certificate program.
There are numerous books for preparing for GRE-Barron's, Kaplan and also the Big Book by ETS (contains many questions previously tested. Not Sure whether they still sell this book, but you can check at the ETS website)

BU dosen't reqiere GRE nor the NBDE to join the speciality courses. But you need 2 yrs work exp and also must have done research preferably in something related to the course you want.

Congratulations on your admit to BU Azzure :) . Thanks for the info, and rightly said abt research experience.
Research experience and an in interest in teaching definitely help in the CV, SOP and the interview! A lot of schools give considerable importance to this due to the declining number of dentists interested in research and teaching positions.
Pls refer to www.adea.org/DEPR/Assocreptnov01.pdf for more info on this.

Thanx pals for this great thread and providing much valuable info.,does anyone know after completing the MS/Ph.D programs ,the future for us.I heard there is lot of restrictions to practice dentistry and its mostly oriented towards teaching,is that right? Also i see most of non clinical subjects here.Is it hard to get into clinical subjects.
Azzure what do you mean by research experience? where can i get that from? do you know anywhere in US that they accept us to do any research works.
Good Luck.

Dhee, please refer to the thread ?US States where you can practice Dentistry after completing a 2 yr Specialty Program? for details regarding practice after specialty.

Research experience is just practical experience with research, either in a basic science laboratory or in some form of clinical research. Although doing this in a dental school keeps us close to our field, and in perspective of our interests; this can be done in any college or research organization. As Azzure221 suggested in the ?US states?.? thread, offering to volunteer would be the easiest way to get into a lab. Details regarding research interests and projects of faculty members are usually available in the university websites. Read them, find your area of interest, and approach the faculty member.
Though research is commitment in terms of time, it does seem to pay-off in the long run. I?ve come across some people who got involved in research to strengthen their application for the IDP program. Personally, I can tell you for a fact that my research training definitely helped me with my application towards specialization.
Good Luck.

Thanx for the details drjennix.It's appreciated a lot.

azzure221 said:
BU dosen't reqiere GRE nor the NBDE to join the speciality courses. But you need 2 yrs work exp and also must have done research preferably in something related to the course you want.

R u shure?and if so what cind of programs do they offer?
thank a mill.. :thumbup:

Meggs said:
Great thread toothlaw!

On the ADA document "Dental licensure...." they have this list of post graduates programs at universities that are willing to accept foreign graduates. Interested members should check on that as well.

where can i read this thread??? :confused:

hi
I am an international dentist .I completed my masters in dental surgery.
what are the requirements considered for me in joining the masters program.
can you please guide me in detail regarding the courses ,fee structure,loans and finally the scope of it in usa and in other countries.

Hi Guys,

I hv graduated dentistry in nov.2003.I hv recently made to u.s n planning 2 appear 4 NBDE -part1 2005,
I hv few douts reg. nbde,DAT,BENCH TEST..wats the basic difference b/n these?when n where 2 appear,how to prepare?.. :confused: plz.give a comprehend explanations.

plz.anyone clarify my basic douts. It would b thanqfull if u guide me some tips n suggestions from ur experiences.

thanq. :)

OK I"m gonna try and explain the basics here

DAT=dental admission test
This is for students who wish to pursue dentistry at an undergraduate level.That is: to apply to dental school in the US,DAT scores are used by colleges, along with other application criteria to admit students into the 4 year dental program in the US.

NDBE:National Board of Dental Examination.(part 1 and 2)
These set of exams are taken by students who are pursuing dentistry at the undergraduate level ASWELL as foreign trained dentists who wish to obtain a licence to practice dentistry in the US.Essentially,foreign trained dentists have to enroll into the advanced standing program offered in dental schools here.To admit such students,the universities rely to some extent on the NDBE scores of the applicant.
Undergradute students who join a dental program with their DAT scores will also have to pass their NDBE before they graduate.

Bench test:from what I know....... is offered in some states like California .It permites a foreign trained dentist to practice ONLY in California(or the respective states) provided they have passed the NDBE and the bench test(practical exam)

So......
IF you wanna join dental schoool from scratch and complete the 4 yr course..it's DAT for you.
If you wanna get into an advance standing program as a foreign trained dentist and do 2-3 yrs of college to get a DDS degree...it's NDBE
IF you wanna practice say in California only..take the NDBe and look out for more info on the BENCH tests.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck.

Bikki said:
Thanks Toothlaw !
Was really doing a lot of research on MS for dental students as a non resident of US.
This information is detailed , relevant and what i was loooking for !
Keep up the good work!

hello sir I m from India I have done my B.D.S and i hwish to compete for National boards so how can i do that pls help me
regards

dr_manish said:
hello sir I m from India I have done my B.D.S and i hwish to compete for National boards so how can i do that pls help me
regards

do u want to do ure MS and askign about NBDE in general...
well either way.. all the info is given in links of interest to foreign trained dentists..
anythig else... feel free to ask.this is a widely discussed topic...
check out ADA.org got o testing services..
for exact links , check the above thread.

Hello, As I Was Browesing, I Got An Info Abt The Msd+specializtion in oral pathology Prog In Washington State,but It Says, Non Certified Programme,still Not Yet Recognizsed By dept of oral pathology http://www.dental.washington.edu/ob/graduate.programs/M.S.D.oral.path.htm Please..give Me More Info..what If It Is Not Certified but they say,i'll be,still eligible to work in comunity college.
please give me info..how usefull this course would be.i'm planning to go back to my country in 3 yrs.do u think, this would be help full?

azzure221 said:

does BU offer MS in orthodontia also?

I got admissions from St.Louis Univ Missouri. Had applied to 5 schools and got into one after 2 interviews.
NBDEI=90, TOEFL=267, GPA=3.67.
Its very competetive though, trust me.

Drtrigeminal said:
Has anyone applied to Perio?

I just joined this forum. It has loads of information and solves most of our questions..

I am a dental student from India and have been planing to come to US for my higher studies.

Looks like MS in Oral Biology and Public Health are great fields to start with. Is that right?

How easy is to get a F1 visa into US especially if I am a dental student?

Thanks,

hi guys

i read that for international dentists require 1 yr of collegiate education for DAT,&ECE has considered my qualification as high school deploma ,so can anyone tell me weither i am eligible for DAT at this time

would appreciate for the reply

thanks
greenmile

tweetybird said:
OK I"m gonna try and explain the basics here

DAT=dental admission test
This is for students who wish to pursue dentistry at an undergraduate level.That is: to apply to dental school in the US,DAT scores are used by colleges, along with other application criteria to admit students into the 4 year dental program in the US.

NDBE:National Board of Dental Examination.(part 1 and 2)
These set of exams are taken by students who are pursuing dentistry at the undergraduate level ASWELL as foreign trained dentists who wish to obtain a licence to practice dentistry in the US.Essentially,foreign trained dentists have to enroll into the advanced standing program offered in dental schools here.To admit such students,the universities rely to some extent on the NDBE scores of the applicant.
Undergradute students who join a dental program with their DAT scores will also have to pass their NDBE before they graduate.

Bench test:from what I know....... is offered in some states like California .It permites a foreign trained dentist to practice ONLY in California(or the respective states) provided they have passed the NDBE and the bench test(practical exam)

So......
IF you wanna join dental schoool from scratch and complete the 4 yr course..it's DAT for you.
If you wanna get into an advance standing program as a foreign trained dentist and do 2-3 yrs of college to get a DDS degree...it's NDBE
IF you wanna practice say in California only..take the NDBe and look out for more info on the BENCH tests.

Good luck.

MMNdentist said:
I got admissions from St.Louis Univ Missouri. Had applied to 5 schools and got into one after 2 interviews.
NBDEI=90, TOEFL=267, GPA=3.67.
Its very competetive though, trust me.

Hey MMN dentist,
I was wondering which program have you got into in St. louis Missouri.

Dear Dr.
Thanks for allowing me to shoot my questions on you. well i am an oral pathologist from India. i finished my masters recently and i want to know about he Phd program as well as the prospects after Phd. i will be grateful to you if you can provide me information on how to apply and what is the eligibility criteria for the same. waiting in anticipation
Dr. Manish Juneja

drjennix said:
Hi!
Bikki and anyone else interested in MS/PhD programs; am working on my PhD in Oralbiology.

hi
me goiin to suny buffalo fr oral bio this fall20006.
ll be glad if u can help me in tellin abt how to go abt shiftin frm it after completin ms to dds .. will doin an oral bio help me!
i am not as yet familiar with the subject yet! may continue to do if i like it! wats yr take abt it! does oral bio give financial aid at ms or at phd level . how do u rate suny buffalo
regards
rohit

hello everyone
im presently in idia and have just finished my undergrad course on dentistry ( B.D.S ) ... i wud like to know if its necessary for me to clear the national boards if i want to join any course ?? wat r the various options i get to choose from ?? can i get into any clinical programme ?? and once its over is it necessary to clear the nbde to practice ??
hopin to hear from u all ..
Tak Care
Tan...

:mad:
Toothlaw said:
Hi,
I thought that we can start a thread on this as many students would like to know about "Masters Program "that is offered by many universities to Foreign Trained Dentists.If you have any information regarding any other programs , please do post your info , and if anyone is already enrolled in such a program , kindly post your information also.
Thanks
Toothlaw

drjennix said:
Hi!

new member of this forum.....was wondering if u are still around to clarify few doubts.have received offer from rush university and uic college of dentistry for PhD program.need some advice to help me make a decsion between the two.
thank you

[

Good luck.[/QUOTE]
HI
As far as i know,if u have not taken ur NBDE before 2003,u cannot take the bench exarm,and will have to go for IDP(International Dentist Prog),ie 2 yrs of school for a DDS.
anybody wants to correct me,please do.
Also wanted to know.....
That since i am not able to get clinical exp in US,is there anything else that i can do to increase my chance of addmission.(apart from my part I score and my GPA).
I am sitting home preparing for TOEFL.
I always feel as if i am wasting my time...
Any sugestions....
(I am in CA.)
Thanks.

drjennix said:
Hi!
DEAR SIR MY DAUTER IS BDS FROM INDIA. SHE US GREEN CARDER. SHE IS INTERESTED FOR ANY DENTAL RELATED CLINICAL OR NON CLINICAL PROGRAM MS. SHE IS WITHOUT GRE. PLEASE ADVISE AND . THANKS HELP . . DR ARORA INDIA

drjennix said:
Hi!
I have read your posted message, i am interested in pursuing m.s in oral biology.i have completed my bachelors in dental surgery with 67% marks n i'm the topper of my college.I would like to know about universities in which I could get admission in m.s oral biology i.e which will accept my credentials n if possible give me a scholarship/research assistantship as iam a foreign trained dentist.My expected toefl ibt score is 90+ n my expected gre score is 1100+.moreover I would like to know whether I can do research in clinical subjects, if so which universities should i apply {in u.s.a}. :confused:

drrohit81 said:
hi
me goiin to suny buffalo fr oral bio this fall20006.
ll be glad if u can help me in tellin abt how to go abt shiftin frm it after completin ms to dds .. will doin an oral bio help me!
i am not as yet familiar with the subject yet! may continue to do if i like it! wats yr take abt it! does oral bio give financial aid at ms or at phd level . how do u rate suny buffalo
regards
rohit
hi rohit im sonu from india its not clear from ur quote whether u have got admn into oral bio or ur going to apply.if u have got the admmsn i have some doubts which i request u to clear.whats the profile that matches the criteria of admmsn into oral bio?which other univ did u apply?whats the tution fee for the course?how to write a sop for oral bio ?
waiting for ur reply
bye

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
BAylor dental college, Dallas,Tx offers MS programs...we need GRE and toefl..PArt 1 not mandatory. see their website

drjennix said:
Well, today's post was my first! And here's my follow on! I've got to say that I am glad to join the community :)!

From reading through the forum I didn't see many posts/discussions regarding MS/PhD programs, both clinical and non-clinical!
Is it because these programs are not considered so much as a preference or an option when compared to the IDP/DDS programs? Curious to know!

Thanks everybody for the all the info shared! Great job :)

Hi , I am a dentist from India and interested to do my masters from US. Have been calling couple of schools for information, some of it makes sense and some doesn't . Would you be able to tell me if they consider foreign trained dentists for the masters prog like in prosthodontics or ortho ? will be anxiously waiting for your input . with deadlines nearing , anxiety level keeps mounting !

dentaldoc said:
----------------

oops:(

All I was thinking till now is that there should be some schools which will have MS programs in clinicals & that they don't require GRE- meaning that we can apply with TOEFL & PART 1 NBDE SCORES.

Anyone done any research on the MS clinical speciality programs that don't require GRE in US dental schools?

PLS throw some light:) Thanks!

hi , yes there are several colleges that accept you in MS program without the gre . you could look up in ucsf , you donot require gre in prostho or paedo ( unless you plan to do a degree course as opposed to a certificate course in paediatric dentistry )......the college in san antonio does not require grein prostho .....
hope the info is what you were loking for...
all the best

azzure221 said:
Hello ,
am interested in speciality courses. Although i do have 3 yrs of work experience but unfortunately none of the research experience . I would be applying to several universities for the 2007 class . Would you be able to guide me on this ? I need desperate help in essay writing .Is there anything in particular that i need to take care of , apart from the stated list of requirements ?
My national board part 1 score is 85 .....do you think i stand a chance anywhere ( both in masters or in DDS prog).....
Waiting anxiously for your advice ...
Thanks

can anybody plz tell me
what kind of job opportunities are their after doing ms in oral biology

Hi everybody,
Does anybody know the minimum requirements for MS,ie, is nbde part 1 enough,if so is there a minimum score or will scores in the 80's be sufficient?What are the chances of getting into any MS program?Can anybody explain?
Thanks in advance