1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Masters program that helped you get into dental school

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by RupeshV, Apr 24, 2004.

1. RupeshV

RupeshV Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys,

Well it pretty much seems like I am not going to start dental school this year due to my low gpa, so I have applied to some masters programs. To the people who are in masters programs or have completed a masters programs could you list which one, and if it helped you in recieving an admission to dental school, thanks, I really appreciate it. Also, was it a one year or two year program.

Rupesh

2. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Is there anybody on this board who is currently enrolled or has finished the Master of Health Sciences at BU?

3. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I asked around(admissions from various schools) and the most common advice is to go for a masters. Do well in the prereqs and then go for a masters. One of them even suggested that I go for a second bachelors in Biology. :confused: How in the world am I going to get into a masters program if I am still saddled with a low GPA? :confused: Another stated 3 yrs worth of fulltime studying to ahve a shot at better schools.

4. captaintripps

captaintripps Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Completing a MS degree in Biochemistry was essential to improving my application; this was a fifth year masters program. This along with postgraduate employment was the focus of conversations during interviews. Worked for me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. UBTom

UBTom Class '04 official geezer
    10+ Year Member

I did a non-thesis M.S. program in Biology at St. John's University before re-applying to dental school (and got in). Took me 3 years as a part-time student, but that's because I didn't have money to be a full-time student (in which case I could have finished it in 1 year).

A masters might be somewhat of an overkill... There's plenty of people on this here board who got in by just doing a post-bacculaureate program. But in my case I wouldn't change a thing. :)

HTH.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    How does an under 3.0 club member get into a masters if in fact that's the route that would interest him. Low GPA also cripples chances for that route too.

What do you guys think of doing a 2nd bachelors?? An unusual suggestion.

Some people here say that doing grad is useless because it doesn't help the undergrad GPA. I could also continue taking courses a la carte. I understand why the admissions are suggesting this. They want me to prove that not only can I handle the sciences(prereqs) but that I am a mature student(masters).

Decisions, decisions, decisions.... :rolleyes:

On a positive note. One small step for me one giant step for Blankguy :D
    I wouldn't even be thinking of this if I wasn't rocking the courses that I am taking.

7. want2bedentist

Pre-Dental
    Dear #6 - 6 years have passed since this post.
    What did you find out about this topic ? I am in same situation now.

your advise/expereinces on this matter is very much appreciated.

8. NinjaChemist

Non-Student
    As am I and have no way to afford an expensive program. I pretty much need someplace to give me a stipend or at least help with with tuition

9. DrDDSman

2+ Year Member

Dental Student

I don't think any MS programs will offer a tuition/stipend, for that you'll need to get into a PhD program, but thats a huge investment of time. I think an alternative to MS is a post-bacc (which probably can be done at your local state U) and wont break the bank (but wont be free either). Otherwise, it looks like you'll need to take out an educational loan. Best case scenario (esp if you are URM): try to find a scholarship to offset that burden.

10. dentaldam5

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I just finished a masters program in bio, the first year i took all 30 credits and the second year I did a research thesis while TA'ing several labs each semester. I got my last 8 credits free for being a TA in addition to making 3k/semester in stipend for being a TA. This was a private university but in no way did i pay close to full price.

I haven't been accepted to DS (yet) but I have 1 interview invite so far and I would completely attribute it to doing well in my masters program as it was of only a few things that were added to my unsuccessful application from 2006

11. phungy

phungy Account Terminated
    10+ Year Member

Barry BMS 1-yr track helped alot with basic science courses. As far as getting into dental school, it did help a little bit GPA-wise.

12. Smilemoncheri

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Well I just completed my Master's degree in Public Health Epidemiology 12/2008, it was a 2yr program FT. I work in research and it has allowed me to collaborate in manuscripts pertaining to dental health care that has been accepted for publication in professional journals.

I am a non-traditional applicant, so basically my Master's degree was more to prove that even if it's been many yrs since I obtained my Bachelors degree Micro & Chem, I am capable of handling a FT coursework of upper division classes. :D

Good Luck with your applications!!

13. Smilemoncheri

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Oh I should also mention: A master's degree can help only if you do well! Meaning that your gpa should exceed your former undergrad gpa. Plus get a wide range of experience in all the other activities DS look for( research, shadowing, enthusiasm..) etc..

14. Ostracized

Ostracized New Member
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I did a biology research masters at the University of Western Ontario. 2 years. It helped me get in to University of Toronto.

15. bennijai

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I did a one year non thesis masters in biology. Although I didn't hit the high end of the GPA scale (1 class screwed me over) I did do much better than my undergrad GPA. Not sure if I will be accepted yet but so far have two interviews. In addition, I did improve my DAT scores.

16. DmdNJ

Pre-Dental
    I did a masters at Rutgers New Brunswick. It's a joint program with UMDNJ. You can choose to do either a research/ non research thesis, but in both cases you still need to defend in front of a committee. If you have a low GPA, you can still take classes non-matric and then enter the program if you do well. If you get into the masters program, you can either TA or become a director of a hall for undergraduate housing and receive both tuition remission and $:thumbup:. The program is 30 credits to finish, you decide if you can finish in a year, probably not feasible with TAing though.

17. nessmarie

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hi, I also was looking into the Master's program at Barry. My gpa is lot low, but I don't feel it is high enough to apply seeing the competiton right now out there. Do you think it is better to complete this year program or to continue and take additional courses throughout the next year? Thanks!

18. ukbasketballis1

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I did a thesis masters in Biochemistry. The benefit to doing this was that I was funded for all two years, either teaching (if there was availability for the masters students) or being funded as a research assistant through my lab. Also, many of your interviewers at dental schools have PhD's and conduct research. These people like to ask about your research and its another way to impress them.

19. Cathelicidin

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    yes. I agree i graduated from this program in one solid year with the summer and had the pleasure to take classes with the dental school of UMDNJ.

20. xplayer2885

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Im going the same route. Getting my MS, im currently doing research, and already have 1 publication in the works.

21. dew2014

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'm finishing up my master's in biology (non-thesis) right now at a smaller University that didn't really care about my undergrad GPA. I tested the waters my first semester though by going in as a non-degree grad and then I got to know the biology advisor who decides whether or not they let you into the program. Through him I was also able to get a graduate assistantship teaching intro bio labs, which pays for tuition as well as has a stipend.

I think that both going back to school and not applying the summer after showed that I understood that I needed to improve myself as opposed to just trying to give the admissions committees what they wanted. I also think that teaching the intro bio labs showed leadership, as well as negated the grade that I got when I took intro bio.

I obviously am not the perfect candidate, and was only interviewed/accepted to one school, but you really only need one school to decide that they're going to take a chance on you and that you're more than just numbers. I also was ready with a backup plan (continue teaching for another year/work on a thesis) if I didn't get in again this cycle.

22. xplayer2885

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Dew, were did you get the admitted to? Congrats btw! How much of the undergrad gpa is taken into consideration because mine is terrible..3.07. I hope the MS gpa is counted heavier by ten fold.

23. dew2014

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I was accepted to Michigan! (and thanks!) I'm not sure how much they consider your undergrad gpa, but mine was a 3.14 and my undergrad science gpa was slightly below a 3.0 :-/ But that's why I did my master's in biology and have a gpa of around 3.6 in my program. I think if you show self-awareness that you're not the perfect candidate and are in need of self-improvement schools will take that into account. One of my interview questions at Michigan had to do with ability to self-evaluate and take criticism.

24. EvolvedThought

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'm completing the second year of my MS in Biomedical Sciences degree at ATSU-Kirksville College of Medicine. It's a pretty good 2-year program that focuses on students creating and producing their own thesis research.

I was under the impression when I began the program that I could use it to launch myself into ASDOH. However, after a frustrating application cycle, ASDOH told us that they did not like our program and wanted nothing to do with us as applicants. (I applied with another pre-dent).

However, the research and classes have allowed me to improve my GPA significantly and has given me the opportunity to show schools that I am capable of professional level courses. As a result, I was granted a seat at UMKC Dental School.

Make of that what you will, and let me know if you want some more info.

25. xplayer2885

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Yes deffinatly give some more info if its not too much asking. Like how many schools did you apply and interview at and how many were your excepted to. And the types of EC's you have. Once I reapply I will have had well over 1000 hours of voulunteer time (800hrs rite now), I already have 1 publication in the works plus im sure a couple more, and the MS program under my belt. I seriously hope this is good enough. Idk how much more I could possibly do.

26. coolslugs

coolslugs Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Midwestern University offers 2yr MBS programs at their Downers Grove and Glendale AZ campuses. They also offer a 9 months MA-Biomedical Sciences program at their Glendale campus. Minimum application GPA: 2.75. Good connections with their own DO schools, but not so much for dental.

27. Oracle DMD

Oracle DMD Chuck NOracle DMD
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Dentist
    really? i think we admitted about 4 or 5 of the masters students this year. probly not as many as the med school accepted, but we have way less seats, and maybe less applicant from the biomed program.

28. coolslugs

coolslugs Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

It has been very difficult for the staff from the biomedical sciences program to get anyone from the college of dentistry to communicate with them (unlike AZCOM). More than half of the people in the MA program this year is pre-dental. There were a few that managed to get an interview, but getting accepted is another story. All of the women I know that applied this year received an interview, and were accepted. As for the men, many of them were straight out denied after sending in their grades after the fall quarter with GPAs ranging from 3.8-4.0. The three men that I know that were able to get an interview, only one was accepted (and he was married). Some people in my program are beginning to think that there is more of a preference for women, and as for men, there is a preference if you are either married or is a career changer.

Although I know that the competition is tough and the few that got in could have got in without this program, all I am asking is for the college of dentistry to be a little more responsive. I hope their responses would be a little better for the people finishing the entire program and graduating with a master's degree. The students in the biomedical sciences program take a rigorous workload (biochem, histo, pharm, micro, viro, immuno, physio, anatomy, other electives and a capstone project for MA or research thesis for MBS). We take classes from the same physio and anatomy departments on campus, and from many other faculty members that teach in AZCOM. I think by doing well in this program, the students deserve better treatment by its own dental school. Where is the sense of community?

29. Oracle DMD

Dentist

i guess im a little shocked that you feel mistreated in some way. as for a female preference, i believe we're pretty close to 50/50. you don't have to defend your curriculum to me sir. i am well aware that the curriculm is tough, just as tough or more so than the dental sciences.

that being said, i'm dissappointed that so few of the masters students have come to meet the dental faculty or students. you know i go here too right? if you ever want to meet some faculty, or drill on a typodont, or wax a tooth up, all you have to do is holler!

you have to take the inititive! if you hit me up, i'd be happy to brainstorm solutions with you, but don't expect the school to hold your hand and do it for you.<think jerry mcquire "help me help you!"> i'll be in the quiet study lounge literally all day again tomorrow. swing by!

-Jason

30. Oracle DMD

Dentist
    go talk to aaron, he hit me up, i met with him, hooked him up w/ a couple dental students, he even came by during sim hours to get a feel for the place. now he's accepted. (i by no means "got him in" but he was proactive and it shows)

#30 Oracle DMD, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  31. coolslugs

coolslugs Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Just to clarify, all of the students and faculty members I have met here at MWU are excellent and are very friendly. I know a couple of 1st and 2nd year dental students through clubs on campus and have toured the sim lab and sat in on a couple of lectures and lunch time presentations. I would have to say my main concern is that many of us feel that the dental admissions does not realize that they have a such a good pool of applicants just next door. Many of us feel that this would not change even after we finish the entire program.
    I would love to meet some of the dental faculty members, but where can I start? Every time I walk into the dental office and say that I am from the biomedical sciences program, the front office staff automatically thinks that I have a question regarding admissions and that I shouldn't be there. Anyways, thanks for representing MWU on SDN!

32. Oracle DMD

Dentist
    i will have a pow-wow w/ admissions and get a feel for what the deal is, and in the mean time, think like an adcom. your presence here gives you distinct advantages that you should be using, they should ALL know your name before you get to the interview. savvy?

33. xplayer2885

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Im a little confused..Are you saying that they had trouble getting into just AZCOM, or with every school they applied to? Personally I will go anywere, im not hell bent on one school.

#33 xplayer2885, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  34. coolslugs

coolslugs Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Are you pre-dent or pre-med? AZCOM is Midwestern's DO school. I am only talking about them having a hard time getting into Midwestern's dental school. Some of those who were rejected from Midwestern got in elsewhere. If you are thinking about doing a SMP, the MA or MBS programs at Midwestern is a great way to go!

35. xplayer2885

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Im a predent...With a horrific overral gpa. First year was a 1.87. So I decided to transfer out out that school an come home an go to school. Im graduating with a 3.17. But when aadsas calculates my both schools its a 2.69. Im doing a masters on Long island new york. I also am in a lab, working on 1 publication. Close to 1000 hours of volunteer time, and I have a 19 DAT. Will I stand a chance of getting in the following cycle. I did apply this this even thought I figured I didnt stand a chance.

36. coolslugs

coolslugs Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I am in a similar situation. I know Midwestern dental has a minimum overall and science GPA requirements of 2.75. Try to get your GPA above 3.0. You might also have to re-take the DAT and aim for 20+.

37. xplayer2885

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Were can I find out about the individual school cut offs?

38. cjb04

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You will not be accepted with the minimum stats. There is too much competition because most applicants have well above these "minimum required" criteria. Take a look at predents.com to get an idea of what the true average minimum stats are for each school and work to get yours in or near this range. Good luck!

39. xplayer2885

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    So im wasting my time doing a masters program??

40. Oracle DMD

Dentist
    is that 3.1 in your masters??

41. DividedByZero

DividedByZero Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Okay, I'm gonna have to chime in here. Midwestern's MA program at Glendale is an absolute joke if you plan on going into dentistry. By all means, if you are Pre-DO or Pre-Pharmacy then this program will most likely get you into a school.

Truth is, the Biomed faculty have absolutely no communication with the dental faculty or its program. Yet, they tout an agreement that they have between all professional programs they have on campus that your file will be on hold for two quarters and if you achieve a 3.0 by then you are GUARANTEED an interview. *cough* BS *cough* An agreement which they used to lure me from another masters program that was more well-known for getting people into dental school.

Albeit, this program was 2 years and the Midwestern was 1 year - I was leaning toward the more well-known 2 year program. However, the agreement got me thinking: "Oh, I am pretty much guaranteed an interview after two quarters. Even though it would be late in the cycle, all I need is an interview and a fighting chance at a waitlist spot and I'll be happy". I just want to clarify, that by no means, did I feel entitled to a spot in the dental school by Dec.1st. But the fact still remains, I was lured to MWU under false pretenses.

I, absolutely, from the bottom of my heart regret coming here and urge everyone here to think again if you plan on coming to the MA program at Midwestern if you are pre-dental.

For a school that emphasizes professionalism and ethics until your head explodes - they clearly do not practice what they preach.

42. Oracle DMD

Dentist

so you did or did not get an interview?? did you get any other interviews?? what do you think is holding you up from getting an acceptance?

43. DividedByZero

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I was outright rejected over Winter break a few weeks after academic update. I received a 3.8 the first quarter and am on pace for a 4.0 this quarter (20 units!).

I received no other interviews as I applied to 20 schools last cycle and received no love from them and not much has changed since then besides this masters program. MWU was my one and only b/c I stupidly thought I would at least get an interview from them. Like most masters students on this forum, I would say my GPA is holding me back (Low 3's). My DATs are a grey area though as I have a 19 in every section. I am most likely retaking them after this program and applying for the third time next cycle.

44. Oracle DMD

Dentist
    they probly just want to see you finish this year strong, and i'll think you'll get in next year after you finish your masters. that is of course, unless your personal statement is no good or you blow the interview. when you get your interview invite in the fall, make sure to PM me. i dont think your DAT is that big of a deal, especially if you kill it next quarter again so i wouldnt retake it neccesarily

45. DividedByZero

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. I had my PS read by a few D1's before I turned it in and they all agreed it looked good so I doubt that was a major problem.

Anyway, I am curious what you think about the point of my original post. (Non-PC summary: That MWU are a bunch of hypocritical liars who will do or say anything to make a buck). From what I have seen in my short time here, I am contemplating if I even want to apply to MWU next year because of the slight of hand/dishonesty I have experienced thus far.

And careful, with the all lower case letters and lack of punctuation there Oracle. Dr. Simonsen's gonna rip you a new one for that :laugh:

46. Oracle DMD

Dentist
    hmmm. well i have never heard of a contract between the dental school and the masters program until this morning so i suppose i would have to look into that before getting to much into it, but supposing there was a contract of some sort, i would definately approach the school about it.
    i have never experienced any dishonesty on the dental school's part but i agree that MWU is really heavy on the professionalism/ ethics scene. i think you would be shorting yourself a bit if you didn't apply to the MWU, but that is your biz, not mine. does MWU turn a profit? heck ya! its a private school for cryin out loud! :laugh:

your post is about your dissatisfaction w/ the masters program at MWU, not the dental school, which we agree are very seperate entities. i am definately dissapointed to hear that, and will certainly look into it to see if there is indeed any contract between the programs, even tho i have never heard of one.

also, only mrs. oracle can holler at me! :rofl: i'm not specializing and outside of the drs. i respect professionally and want to learn from, i have no reason to pander to the faculty.

47. coolslugs

coolslugs Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Articulation Agreement Between Midwestern University Programs

Students enrolled in a Midwestern University program are guaranteed an admission interview with another Midwestern University program if the student:

1. Is currently in good standing in the academic program in which the student is enrolled and does not have any pending misconduct charges against him/her;
    2. Meets all admission requirements for the professional program of interest;
    3. After a minimum of two full time quarters of study, achieves a minimum Midwestern University grade point average, derived from all courses completed at Midwestern, that is equal to or greater than 3.0; and
    4. Achieves a score on the professional entrance exam that is not less than one standard deviation below the mean score for students that matriculated into the professional degree program in the previous year.

A guaranteed interview does not guarantee admission into the professional program.

http://www.midwestern.edu/Programs_and_Admission/AZ_Master_of_Biomedical_Sciences/AdmissionApply.html

48. DividedByZero

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    My dissatisfaction actually lies with both entities (the masters program and the dental school) as of now. It takes two to communicate and come to an agreement.

Now, either scenario A happened where the Biomed faculty went ahead and assumed that the dental school would be just as compliant as the DO school and went ahead and issued the same agreement they have w/them. In which case, my dissatisfaction would lie only w/the Biomed program.

OR the more likely, scenario B happened where the Biomed faculty asked the dental school if the agreement was okay and the dental school okay'd it only to go back on their word a few short months later. In which case, my dissatisfaction lies with w/the conduct of the dental school.

I have talked to a couple Biomed faculty about this problem, and they are pointing me in the direction of scenario B. Of course, I know my own biases are showing b/c I am in the Biomed program and I know the faculty, etc etc., just as you would tend to side w/the dental school on this matter b/c you know the faculty, etc etc.

But yes, I appreciate you trying to get down to the bottom of this on your end and await the reply.

49. Oracle DMD

Dentist

just to be clear: DividedbyZero: you meet ALL of these requirement and did not get an interview invite? if you would like me to run your case up the flagpole as an example to this agreement no being honored, please PM me your info so i can have a clear example in my hand and not broad accusations.

if you don't PM me your info, i'll still ask, but i will have a lot less to stand on. i will certainly look into this tho, and see what happened.

50. coolslugs

coolslugs Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

It's a gray area. The agreement requires minimum 2 quarters of study. Therefore, the dental school does not have to honor this agreement if they reject you before you finish 2 quarters in the biomed program. However, at the beginning of the program, many were under the impression that they would not be straight out rejected until the winter grades are out. In my opinion, if admissions thinks that a 3.0 in the program is too low for a guaranteed interview and is not happy about it, then they should change the policy. They can move the requirement to a 3.5+, but give the students in the biomed program a honest, legitimate shot.

#50 coolslugs, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited: May 25, 2010