Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Masters Programs

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by KimR, Feb 16, 2001.

1. KimR

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Can anyone list the schools that offer Master's/Post Bachelor's Programs for students who wish to strengthen their application credentials to medical schools? I already know about Georgetown and Barry.

2. DOCTORSAIB

DOCTORSAIB Ophtho or bust!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    KIMR....Virginia Commonwealth University's (VCU) medical school (MCV) in Richmond also has a Post-bacc Physiology program. Its not really advertised so there isnt much competition for the program. They have several different concentrations including physiology, anatomy, biochemistry, immunology, etc. Its a one year program designed specifically to prepare you for the rigors of med school. If you choose to do a thesis, you get a masters degree at the end, if not, then you get a certificate stating that you successfully completed the program.

Personally, im very interested in the program for several reasons: one, it provides an opportunity to raise my GPA; two, i get to take many of the same classes that will be required in first two years of med school; three, MCV is my top choice so what better way to get my foot in the door; and last, if you're a Virginia resident, the program is much cheaper than G'towns (for those of us who's last name is not Gates). Hope that helps...take care and good luck.. [​IMG]

DOCTORSAIB

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Sunlyght

Sunlyght Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. KimR

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks to DOCTORSAIB & Sunlyght! You've made my search A LOT easier....

Kim

5. mattatlab

mattatlab Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Be wary of post-bacc programs where you take classes with full time students in the pre-med type majors. You'll be taking quite a heavy load, and some of the key pre-med classes at Penn State can have absolutely BRUTAL curves.

Then again, I know a comp sci major who took most of the requirements to go to graduate school in biochemistry in a under a year, so it works for some people.