Masters Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KimR

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone list the schools that offer Master's/Post Bachelor's Programs for students who wish to strengthen their application credentials to medical schools? I already know about Georgetown and Barry.

Members don't see this ad.

KIMR....Virginia Commonwealth University's (VCU) medical school (MCV) in Richmond also has a Post-bacc Physiology program. Its not really advertised so there isnt much competition for the program. They have several different concentrations including physiology, anatomy, biochemistry, immunology, etc. Its a one year program designed specifically to prepare you for the rigors of med school. If you choose to do a thesis, you get a masters degree at the end, if not, then you get a certificate stating that you successfully completed the program.

Personally, im very interested in the program for several reasons: one, it provides an opportunity to raise my GPA; two, i get to take many of the same classes that will be required in first two years of med school; three, MCV is my top choice so what better way to get my foot in the door; and last, if you're a Virginia resident, the program is much cheaper than G'towns (for those of us who's last name is not Gates). Hope that helps...take care and good luck..
smile.gif

DOCTORSAIB

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to DOCTORSAIB & Sunlyght! You've made my search A LOT easier....

Kim

Be wary of post-bacc programs where you take classes with full time students in the pre-med type majors. You'll be taking quite a heavy load, and some of the key pre-med classes at Penn State can have absolutely BRUTAL curves.

Then again, I know a comp sci major who took most of the requirements to go to graduate school in biochemistry in a under a year, so it works for some people.