Masters? SMP? Post-Bacc? What do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rackmeed13

Reaction score
Hey y’all, I have some questions about what I need to do to increase my chances of getting into medical school.

I’m currently a junior this semester at a college in Arkansas, biology major. I had an undiagnosed medical condition for college up until this point and, as a result, my grades have suffered a bit. My GPA after this semester is going to be about a 3.60, sGPA 3.31. I’ve done not hot in a couple classes.

C in Orgo, C in Orgo II, C in Calculus, and a C in genetics. Two of those were this year and two were sophomore year. I also have a B in biochemistry, gen chem 1, and gen chem 2.

I will say, I’m *starting* to have a rising trend. I’m taking 18 hours this semester and I have all A’s, except the C in genetics.

I’m interested in getting a masters or doing some sort of SMP after graduation to show that I can handle rigorous course work. I 100% want to be a doctor, but I’m beyond scared about my grades. I just don’t know what to do.

The rest of my grades are good. I’m doing very well in upper division science classes. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you doing well in other science courses? It’s great that you’re getting As but it’s probably concerning for an admissions comitttee if you’re getting As in nonscience course work and Cs in science coursework.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would actually advise some more advance bio/science coursework at your current school, and not applying until after senior year or even staying an extra year

I don’t think I’ll be able to continue taking classes at the school I’m at now, it’s 4 hours away from my house and i have plans to take a gap year. I’m going to live at home and scribe/study for the MCAT during that time.

There is a different 4 year institution about 40 minutes from my house. Would taking classes there be okay, or is it better to continue at the school I’m at now?

Are you doing well in other science courses? It’s great that you’re getting As but it’s probably concerning for an admissions comitttee if you’re getting As in nonscience course work and Cs in science coursework.

Yes. In every other biology class I’ve taken I’ve made A’s, including 3000 and 4000 level classes. It’s just those classes that are really dragging me down.

Hey y’all, I have some questions about what I need to do to increase my chances of getting into medical school.

I’m currently a junior this semester at a college in Arkansas, biology major. I had an undiagnosed medical condition for college up until this point and, as a result, my grades have suffered a bit. My GPA after this semester is going to be about a 3.60, sGPA 3.31. I’ve done not hot in a couple classes.

C in Orgo, C in Orgo II, C in Calculus, and a C in genetics. Two of those were this year and two were sophomore year. I also have a B in biochemistry, gen chem 1, and gen chem 2.

I will say, I’m *starting* to have a rising trend. I’m taking 18 hours this semester and I have all A’s, except the C in genetics.

I’m interested in getting a masters or doing some sort of SMP after graduation to show that I can handle rigorous course work. I 100% want to be a doctor, but I’m beyond scared about my grades. I just don’t know what to do.

The rest of my grades are good. I’m doing very well in upper division science classes. What should I do?
Read this:

Reactions: 1 users