Masters Thesis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GradStudent87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is doing a master's thesis important/valuable as far getting accepted into a doctoral program in clinical psychology. I know some people on here reccomend not going to a master's at all but if you do go for a master's is it important to go to one that requires the completion of a thesis? My goals are to eventually get into a balanced PhD or a PsyD. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

yes, i do. If for no other reason that you can pull papers, posters, or maybe even a pub from it.

If you are interested in PhD programs, then yes you will definitely want to do an empirically-based thesis.

Yes. If you're in a master's program, do it. There were three things that I think helped me in applying out of a master's program: (1) who I worked with, (2) the fact that I had either already defended my thesis or was defending it in a week (depending on the interview), and (3) the fact that I had seen clients and could therefore say with confidence that I wanted to do clinical psych and not just experimental psych.