Masters to PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PHealthMan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have an MS in Public Health from one School how does that transfer to another when looking for a PhD if you cannot continue at your own institution for the PhD ? Do they accept credits? do you just do your dissertation typically ?

Has anyone been in this situation ? Please share with me ont his board or through private message how you tackled it.

I applied for a PhD but was accepted into a Masters at Harvard and am not sure what to do. I am confident I want the PhD but obviously their is no garuntee. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have an MS in Public Health from one School how does that transfer to another when looking for a PhD if you cannot continue at your own institution for the PhD ? Do they accept credits? do you just do your dissertation typically ?

Has anyone been in this situation ? Please share with me ont his board or through private message how you tackled it.

I applied for a PhD but was accepted into a Masters at Harvard and am not sure what to do. I am confident I want the PhD but obviously their is no garuntee. Any ideas?

Some programs - if you're in good academic standing (normally a 3.5 in all MPH/MS work) - will allow you to advance to PhD candidacy without applying again.

To go from one program to another, however, I doubt any grades will transfer. Most schools will give you a placement test for x number of credits but nearly everything must be satisfied at the new institution. Keep in mind, also, that placements are for beginning level biostats and epi -- normally. This was the case when I met with UNC, UCLA, Hopkins, Columbia, Yale, etc.

A Master degree and all the coursework it takes to earn it are REQUIRED for most PhD programs so it would make sense that you'd have to take a fresh round of classes, give or take.

But, I can't speak for all schools and all PhD programs...so you'd need to ask the specific programs and/or schools you're interested in.