Masters vs DDs? HELP PLEEEEASE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

czemeralbabe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys i didnt know where to post it so am posting it here. iam a foreign trained dentist. interested in Doing DDs. My GPA is 3.8,iam very interested in IDP but i see that the process is instense and the competition is so tough as there are a lot of local and foreign dentists who are working very hard yet struglling to get enrolled in some good university for IDP.

1)My questions are that, Does getting a Master's Degree first, make u strong applicant for IDP in anyway? Any dentist who has done this and found the admission process fairly easier this way?

2)What is the scope for Masters programme alone here in USA california and other states? What subjects should i opt for Masters,considering that my ultimate goal is DDS?

3)Do all Masters programme related to dentistry require GRE? And What is considered a decent score in GRE for us?

Please guys help me out with this as i have decided to enroll in GRE preperatory classes and they are asking for Good amount of dollars that i have to submit by next week so before i do i will really appreciate some input from u guys.

awaiting yr response
czemeral

Members don't see this ad.

1) Masters degree definitely helps for the admission into IDP. But which masters degree you are talking about? Most of the clinical specialties them selves are as difficult as getting into IDP. Perio and prsotho are relatively easier but not that easy. If you want to get into non clinical masters, thast a different story again. Though theoretically non clinical masters might help in getting into IDP, you have to judge yourself whether it is worth spending 2 years and tuition fees for that.
2) Some states (check my previous posts) grant license if you do masters program here in USA without necessarily going for IDP. To date California State doesn’t have any mechanism granting license on the basis of master’s degree for foreign trained dentists.
3) Not all the programs require, but most do. I don’t know what is considered as decent score, but I think not less than 1100.
My advise is get good score in part 1 and part 2 and try for IDP rather than going for non clinical masters. If you can get into clinical masters, you don’t need to do IDP.
Hi guys i didnt know where to post it so am posting it here. iam a foreign trained dentist. interested in Doing DDs. My GPA is 3.8,iam very interested in IDP but i see that the process is instense and the competition is so tough as there are a lot of local and foreign dentists who are working very hard yet struglling to get enrolled in some good university for IDP.

1)My questions are that, Does getting a Master's Degree first, make u strong applicant for IDP in anyway? Any dentist who has done this and found the admission process fairly easier this way?

2)What is the scope for Masters programme alone here in USA california and other states? What subjects should i opt for Masters,considering that my ultimate goal is DDS?

3)Do all Masters programme related to dentistry require GRE? And What is considered a decent score in GRE for us?

Please guys help me out with this as i have decided to enroll in GRE preperatory classes and they are asking for Good amount of dollars that i have to submit by next week so before i do i will really appreciate some input from u guys.

awaiting yr response
czemeral

what are the pre requisites for getting clinical masters?

please name some progrmas and states.
thanx

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Masters degree definitely helps for the admission into IDP. But which masters degree you are talking about? Most of the clinical specialties them selves are as difficult as getting into IDP. Perio and prsotho are relatively easier but not that easy. If you want to get into non clinical masters, thast a different story again. Though theoretically non clinical masters might help in getting into IDP, you have to judge yourself whether it is worth spending 2 years and tuition fees for that.
2) Some states (check my previous posts) grant license if you do masters program here in USA without necessarily going for IDP. To date California State doesn't have any mechanism granting license on the basis of master's degree for foreign trained dentists.
3) Not all the programs require, but most do. I don't know what is considered as decent score, but I think not less than 1100.
My advise is get good score in part 1 and part 2 and try for IDP rather than going for non clinical masters. If you can get into clinical masters, you don't need to do IDP.

Thank u so much for yr helpful response nondentist. i really appreciate it.
yes please also do highlight the pre requisites and requirments for clinical masters. and also tell me the scope of non clinical masters like can u get a well paid job?, i assume if u do a non clinical masters all u cud do is get into teaching perhaps? And like if an applicant has a non clinical masters, is s/he discouraged for IDP? I heard they tell u to stay into research work cause they have few people entering into research based masters versus IDP.

Any one in the same boat as iam? any one who has gone through this GRE taking crap and felt it helped in anyway?I dont know, iam thinking of taking GRE also cause i feel that it provides me additional option n thus increases my chances besides DDS. I hope iam doing the right thing though:( :confused: Any input will be appreciated from those who have gone through it?

hey even i was in the same situation.well if u r a dentist then concentrate first on part 1 and 2

pursuing other courses in usa is a source of getting in to us.many of the universities for public health or hospital management may not require GRE score. but the embassy guys ask us for a minimum qualifying score 1100.

this a source for a foreign dentist to get to usa.
but after goin there the best thing is to concentrate on ur dds than other
courses.instaed of struggling with other courses the same effort it is better to go for dds.

even i have tried for other courses but it is waste.rest is up to u.
good luck

hi even i was in the same situation.first of all it depends on ur interest.
foreign dentists mostly go in for a masters program in pulic health or hospital management.
this is also a easier source for us to get in to usa.many of these universities require toefl score.but the embassy people when u go for ur visa they will ask ur GRE score.and qualifying is 1100. mostly science students require only qualifying score for any masters program.
even i tried for other programmes but what i felt was instead of strugglin with them better to struggle with dds.
from which country r u.
good luck to u

Generally speaking, most of the programs require you to be graduated form ADA approved dental schools. Apart form this most programs also require you to be citizen/permanent resident of USA. However there are some programs which can accept foreign trained dentists, but again generally these programs doesn't pay stipend.
Go to ADEA website and use the search engine for the programs which can accept foreign trained dentists.
There are few foreign trained dentists who got into GPR, AEGD, perio, prostho, less frequently in pedo, ortho, endo too. But for these programs are highly competitive and they usually try to discourage foreign trained dentists and also require very high scores in part 1 and part 2 NBDE. If you have masters from your home country in the same specialty you are applying for is a plus. Research background helps.
I don't think GRE score really matters as long as you don't get below 1100. That maters for engineering guys and not for you.
So concentrate on part 1 and 2 which is key for both IDP and masters. If you can get around 93 in part 1 your IDP admission is almost guaranteed. Isn't that simple and straightforward? Masters degree on the other hand is very difficult path. You need to apply through PASS/MATCH which is very expensive and unpredictable.
Thank u so much for yr helpful response nondentist. i really appreciate it.
yes please also do highlight the pre requisites and requirments for clinical masters. and also tell me the scope of non clinical masters like can u get a well paid job?, i assume if u do a non clinical masters all u cud do is get into teaching perhaps? And like if an applicant has a non clinical masters, is s/he discouraged for IDP? I heard they tell u to stay into research work cause they have few people entering into research based masters versus IDP.

Any one in the same boat as iam? any one who has gone through this GRE taking crap and felt it helped in anyway?I dont know, iam thinking of taking GRE also cause i feel that it provides me additional option n thus increases my chances besides DDS. I hope iam doing the right thing though:( :confused: Any input will be appreciated from those who have gone through it?

Hello,

I have got your mail ID from The Links of Interest for Foreign Trained Dentist.......I hope you can clear my querries.

Iam Dr.Mitreyi,from India.
I sompleted my BDS from Hyderabad,India in June 2006.

I finished my GRE and TOEFL and i got a GPA of 3.99.

I would like to do MS in Endodontics from Baylor Institute,Dallas,TX.

Iam very much interested in teaching and I worked as a Tutor in one of the Dental colleges in Hyderabad for sometime.

What are the prospects after finishing MS in aby Dental Subject,whether it is clinical or non-clinical?Can i go into the teaching field in the USA aft the Masters?Will I be eligible to take up teaching in any Dental institutes in USA?

What are the requirements for DDS?What can we do after completing DDS?

Which one is better,doing DDS or Masters,in your opinion?I like teaching rather than practicing......and can I do practice also after Masters?

I'll be very thankful to you if you could help me with the information.

Thanks and Regards,
Mitreyi

mmmm.... lot of questions. to learn these things it took me nearly 3 years.. so if you do liitle bit of ground work it would be easier to answer your specific, more refined questions. start with ADA handbook here...http://www.ada.org/prof/prac/licensure/us.pdf

Hello,

I have got your mail ID from The Links of Interest for Foreign Trained Dentist.......I hope you can clear my querries.

Iam Dr.Mitreyi,from India.
I sompleted my BDS from Hyderabad,India in June 2006.

I finished my GRE and TOEFL and i got a GPA of 3.99.

I would like to do MS in Endodontics from Baylor Institute,Dallas,TX.

Iam very much interested in teaching and I worked as a Tutor in one of the Dental colleges in Hyderabad for sometime.

What are the prospects after finishing MS in aby Dental Subject,whether it is clinical or non-clinical?Can i go into the teaching field in the USA aft the Masters?Will I be eligible to take up teaching in any Dental institutes in USA?

What are the requirements for DDS?What can we do after completing DDS?

Which one is better,doing DDS or Masters,in your opinion?I like teaching rather than practicing......and can I do practice also after Masters?

I'll be very thankful to you if you could help me with the information.

Thanks and Regards,
Mitreyi

im interested in doing my masters first as well...!
im a fresh bds graduate from india and ill receive my degree in oct this year. im also an american citizen.
first of all... is it possible to finish a clinical masters programme first before completing dds?
can someone please give me some links with information?

hi,, i m in sailing in same boat as u..
i am too confused abt what to do next.:confused:

staying in india,one can go for m.d.s.

in u.s. we can do dds after nbde exam.
just seeing this thread i came to know abt masters program.. can we directly do masters after bds.... plz tell me what's the procedure..

also i can't decide that whether to go for mds or dds...
plz help