Mastes of Science in Medical Science?...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdfamily

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have searched the web and student doctor with little success in trying to understand better what a Master of Science in Medical Science is and why one would obtain one?

Some MD programs offer the MSMS in combination to the MD program. Why would this be beneficial? I assume this masters offers deeper understanding of the medical sciences and allows one to be better prepared for research as a physician? Is this the next best thing to MD/PhD if a medical student is pursuing future research opportunities? What other benefits could there be to pursuing a MSMS degree as a med student and ultimately as a physician with it?

What other masters degrees are available to MD students at medical schools and why do most people pursue them? I recognize the MD MPH and MD MBA benefits, but I was wanting to understand the other ones.

Thaanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

I have searched the web and student doctor with little success in trying to understand better what a Master of Science in Medical Science is and why one would obtain one?

Some MD programs offer the MSMS in combination to the MD program. Why would this be beneficial? I assume this masters offers deeper understanding of the medical sciences and allows one to be better prepared for research as a physician? Is this the next best thing to MD/PhD if a medical student is pursuing future research opportunities? What other benefits could there be to pursuing a MSMS degree as a med student and ultimately as a physician with it?

What other masters degrees are available to MD students at medical schools and why do most people pursue them? I recognize the MD MPH and MD MBA benefits, but I was wanting to understand the other ones.

Thaanks for any input.

I think its more for students who want to do research during medical school, but not to the extent of a MD Phd.

Thaanks for any input.

There's also the MAS, which is like the MSMS (I assume?). I always thought it was just a "MD/PhD Lite," but I'm not sure. Would love to hear more input on this!

Would it be better to post this in an MD thread so that someone with experience might be able to answer it?