Match '04

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeedMyCoffee

Seasoned explorer
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So while I was waiting for the ERAS post office to open up next week, just thought I'd ask who all on the forum is applying this year? Last year's debates/support/etc etc were pretty interesting, and I'm just wondering who I'll be trading comments with this year now that I'm applying (finally!!) Anyways, while I go get some more coffee, just wanted to say hi to everyone applying this year and wish them all good luck from the get go! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Me too-

Can't wait for things to get started... so they can finally be over :D

-Alex

Members don't see this ad :)
My plans are to apply to all of the programs in Illinois, Indiana (1), Michigan, Ohio, and Minnesota and also Pittsburgh.

Goal is to accept 10-15 interviews (assuming I get that many).

I did (or will do) EM rotations at Resurrection in Chicago and IUPUI (Indy).

- H

Yeah, I'm applying to places on both coasts and several in between. I've done rotations at UCLA and Brown, if anyone would like more info about these places, I'd be happy to let you know.

FoughtFyr, what sort of experience did you get at Resurrection?

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to add to your list of EM hopefuls. Finished ERAS and PS, now just hoping I can get my LOR's in on time. Gonna apply to 30 programs from Maine to Florida. Probably overkill, I know, but just to be sure. Thanks to all the regulars for posting such helpful and accurate info. Looking forward to getting thru this with all of you.
Cheers.
L.

I was in the ERAS season last year, but hope to provide you guys with as much inside info as i can. Good luck! Interviewing is stressful but a lot of fun and gives you a chance to see the rest of the US.

I think I got my first interviews late Sept/early Oct.

Q, DO

I'm in, applying to east coast programs between Hershey and FL.

Casey
Penn State

I'm done with ERAS & my supporting documents are in - just waiting for the interviews. It's going to be interesting trying to schedule all my interviews within a 3wk window while I'm back in the US.

Best of luck to all.

Count me in too... I am applying to programs on the east coast. I have rotated through the University of Maryland ED and Shock Trauma, so let me know if you have any questions. Just waiting for a couple letters of rec to get my application in.

Pelivar

Originally posted by iwakuni_doc
I'm done with ERAS & my supporting documents are in - just waiting for the interviews. It's going to be interesting trying to schedule all my interviews within a 3wk window while I'm back in the US.

Best of luck to all.

Viper (program director): Do you think your name will be on that plaque?
Maverick (iwakuni_doc): Yes sir.
Viper: That's pretty arrogant considering the company here, don't you think?
Maverick: Yes sir.
Viper: I like that in a (EM applicant).

Really, good luck. However, some places have weird/short interview schedules, and others don't give out interviews until November (meaning that two places next door to each other might be way off, and one has all spots filled, by the time the other offers). I think you'll do fine, though. Me, Quinn, MikeCWRU, blackcat, Scrubbs, and a BUNCH of others got spots.

And, as a US Marine - what can I say? If I was a PD, I'd offer you an interview right now.

Edit: as a USN doc attached to the USMC - well, I'd still give ya an interview sight unseen.

Originally posted by NeedMyCoffee
FoughtFyr, what sort of experience did you get at Resurrection?

Loved it!!!

I didn't expect to, but there are several things that make that ED great to learn in. The acuity is very high (I had more than a few shifts with multiple intense ICU pts. at one time including one shift with 2 separate PE patients given TPA in the ED), the nursing and support staff are fantastic, and the attendings love to teach. It was GREAT!

The bonus is their residents are all happy, which to me is always a good sign :D

Anything specific you wanted to know?

- H

I have a bunch of "pseudo" research experiences as a consultant. I also have a few conference presentations, etc. The CORD site advice on research seems to boil down to "you had better be able to back it up". So I was thinking...

Would it be a good idea to put together a portfolio for interviews? It would be a place to keep cover pages, letters of nvitation to speak at conferences, older awards and LORs. Would this work?

Any thoughts from those who've gone before???

- H

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all... I'm applying on the east coast, midwest, and the deep south. I rotated at the beth israel deaconess medical center ED.... feel free to ask me if you have any questions..... ERAS and PS is complete... LORs and supporting docs are complete as well...

I was just wondering... can I send 4 letters of rec to EACH program irrespective of whether they want 3 or 4...
also, if I were to send in my application in early september... but I send in all my recs later on.. like in the second week or 3rd week of sept... how bad is it that way?
Hopefully, we'll all be able to benefit from this forum...
Take care and best of luck!

samdaman

"You can always defend yourself against an attack, but you are powerless against praise" - Sigmund Freud

Finished ERAS, applied to 15 programs, mostly along the east coast/new england, but also am applying to a few preliminary programs in case I decide to rank Sinai as #1. Anybody who applied to a 2-4 school have advice on the application/interview process? Do I need to write two personal statements?

Still procrastinating on the ERAS!! But count me in!
Glad to see people are up to help each other out!

Good luck everyone---

gimmedog, you aren't the only one behind on eras. i'm suffering from snow blindness from looking at my blank word document.

Originally posted by samdaman
I was just wondering... can I send 4 letters of rec to EACH program irrespective of whether they want 3 or 4...
also, if I were to send in my application in early september... but I send in all my recs later on.. like in the second week or 3rd week of sept... how bad is it that way?
Hopefully, we'll all be able to benefit from this forum...
Take care and best of luck!

You can definately send 4 recs in, regardless of how many they ask for. I sent 4 to all of mine. Also, get ERAS submitted as early as possible, even if your supporting docs aren't done. I think my recs started trickling in mid-late Sept, but I had everything submitted the first week. You can't do anything about the procrastinating letter writers, right?

Originally posted by joeG
Finished ERAS, applied to 15 programs, mostly along the east coast/new england, but also am applying to a few preliminary programs in case I decide to rank Sinai as #1. Anybody who applied to a 2-4 school have advice on the application/interview process? Do I need to write two personal statements?

Not sure about the personal statement thing, but I know that a lot of prelim/transitional programs have later cut-off dates for applying. I only applied to a few 2-4 programs, and didn't even end up interviewing at any of them... so I saved myself $60 by not applying initially to the trans programs. I figured I'd wait to get interviews from the few 2-4's I applied to, and see how I felt about them before working on the trans year. If 2-4's are a minority, you might be better off waiting...

Just my $0.02. :D

was asked to proofread my Dean's letter today. i am so pissed off. it's utter garbage. why bother giving a student a honors grade if you aren't going to write any comments on the evaluation form? the whole letter is just a stretch to say something nice. :mad:

Originally posted by grouptherapy
was asked to proofread my Dean's letter today. i am so pissed off. it's utter garbage. why bother giving a student a honors grade if you aren't going to write any comments on the evaluation form? the whole letter is just a stretch to say something nice. :mad:

That sucks. Can you ask them to re-format it? Or is that letter standard for your school?

I never got to see my Dean's Letter... so you're lucky.

Q, DO

we're not allowed to change anything except incorrect data, ie names, places, dates, board scores...

Finally, I am in!

I can't wait to be done with this, I am TIRED of the short white coat!

Anyway, ERAS and PS are done, my letters will be lagging behind but I plan to follow Scrubbs advice and get out ERAS as soon as possible.

I'm applying to West Coast and East Coast only, nothing inbetween (family reasons I assure you all, there are many GEMS that I am passing up, but that just don't fit the big picture).

Should be fun year, glad you're all hear talking through this all.

Anyone planning on going to Boston for ACEP in October?

Cole

OK... here's a ******ed hypothetical situation (I'm paranoid!)... but lets say that I send in my applications on the day ERAS opens... like on the 2nd of September, and the programs download my application, on the 3rd except for my Recommendations, which are going to lag anyways... and then instead of waiting for my recommendations, they decided to reject me outright... is that a strong possibility? I am basing this situation on the fact that my application as a whole is quite strong, but without the recommendations, wont be abe to stand on its own for long....

So if the recommendations lag for about a week, am i risking too much and should i apply when i'm SURE that all my recs will be sent with my application...
I hope its not TOO ******ed for the great minds here :p
take care all
samdaman

You all worry too much. LORs and deans letter are not due for a long time after ERAS opens, like November 1st if I remember correctly.
Most programs like to wait till they have all the info before they make their decisions.
You will certainly get some interviews if you are a strong candidate early on. Rejections don't come till later. Sometimes you never get rejections, they send nothing at all.
Just keep bugging your attendings for the LOR's.

Originally posted by samdaman
OK... here's a ******ed hypothetical situation (I'm paranoid!)... but lets say that I send in my applications on the day ERAS opens... like on the 2nd of September, and the programs download my application, on the 3rd except for my Recommendations, which are going to lag anyways... and then instead of waiting for my recommendations, they decided to reject me outright... is that a strong possibility? I am basing this situation on the fact that my application as a whole is quite strong, but without the recommendations, wont be abe to stand on its own for long....

So if the recommendations lag for about a week, am i risking too much and should i apply when i'm SURE that all my recs will be sent with my application...
I hope its not TOO ******ed for the great minds here :p
take care all
samdaman

You are too paranoid my friend. Especially if your application as a whoel is "strong." Places will reject you outright based on your board scores, if that is the criteria they use. If you have board scores of the bottom 5% and have the best LORs on earth, the progrmas that use board scores as a cutoff probably wouldnt' care about your LORs, so you might as well submit.

The benefits of applying ERAS early FAR outweigh the risks!

Q, DO

Look at it the other way; programs won't interview you without ANY recommendations (unless you are a home student, or have rotated there). They will wait until at least one is in, to make sure that you are for real.

Otherwise, it's like Quinn says - no matter how good your recs are, if you don't make one of their other criteria, the recs don't matter.

Originally posted by Apollyon
Look at it the other way; programs won't interview you without ANY recommendations (unless you are a home student, or have rotated there). They will wait until at least one is in, to make sure that you are for real.

Otherwise, it's like Quinn says - no matter how good your recs are, if you don't make one of their other criteria, the recs don't matter.

You're agreeing with me a lot this past weekend...

And why do you have so much time to surf SDN? My excuse is I'm House Officer now... and we have our own computers in the ED call room (brand new Dells).

Q, DO

Thanks a lot guys. I think i'll go send out all my apps before my LORs...
Take care!
samdaman

Finished applying as well... CAF, personal statement, USMLE transcript... LORs are going to lag a bit... but it was fun to spend all that money! :D
Its pretty difficult... ADTS is becoming a compulsion every two hours!
take care all
samdaman

Long Time observer, First Time poster
Getting ready to send CAF now. LORs to follow. Applying a little bit of everywhere. Hopefully this year's forum will be as lively as last.
+pissed+

Originally posted by Virion
Long Time observer, First Time poster
Getting ready to send CAF now. LORs to follow. Applying a little bit of everywhere. Hopefully this year's forum will be as lively as last.
+pissed+

Only if people like you submit!

;)

Q, DO

Everything's in and ready to go. Resisting the compulsion to check ADTS every few hours.

Applying to mostly East coast schools with a few midwest and west coast programs thrown in (25 total).

Good luck to all.

I'm in too. CAF/PS etc all in. I applied to a few everywhere. Rotated at Indiana. Like so many others, waiting on the LORs.
Good luck to everyone!
Let the fun begin

I'm all in as well. Good luck everyone, hoping to see some of you along the interview trail.

Count another one in!
getting ready to send CAF, LORs are behind (of course)...
applying to schools on the East Coast...

Bring it on!

Yeehaaa! :p

just uploaded the remainder of my app. fiiiiiiiiiiiiinally.

checking adts, i find that some programs download at the strangest times

Best of luck to all applicants this year!

Application, PS, and CAF all done. Money all spent. Applying to Southeast and some Midwest. Waiting on LORs.

*Sigh*

Start Trauma Surgery in... 7 hours. See you guys in November (when I"m doing an ED month, yippee!). Good luck on interviews.

Q, DO

So, my app except for a couple of LOR's is in, and has been! .....I am seeing the posts with the interview offers and I am ALREADY getting worried. I have not recieved squat! I guess since that means no rejections it is not entirely bad. Anyone else in the same boat?

-C

Yup!! I'm in the same boat!! I want a refund!!

Of course I did get a rejection from Allegheny, but so far no interview offers, and hearing about people getting them is also making me nervous...but then I figure the real fun begins after the Dean's Letter is out...so until then people hold on! Hopefully offers'll start pouring in!

I'm with you. Don't sweat it though, it is definitely the exception from what I understand to get interviews this early. Also, in talking with a PD, many of the programs because of lagging SLORs will not check all applicants status every day and will wait as everyone's files get updated. I totally agree, I wouldn't interview anyone, no matter what their board score, without some comment on their character, which only comes from LORs and Dean's letter.

It's nice to see the MSPE uploaded and ready.

What exactly do program directors do with their time when it's not application/interview season?

haha... that damn desperado!

eras makes you obscessive-compulsive about your email.

Dont forget to check your junk mail!

how much emphasis do they put on the dean's letter, anyway? i mean, Ive never even MET our dean (he's new). my class rank is pretty mid-pack even though my GPA is pretty good. are they just wanting to make sure im not a complete thug, or is the dean's letter actually quite important and Ive made a grave error by not bribing him?