match 2004 for 2005-2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Michal

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to match in march 2004 for July 2005 for PGY1?
pls put an emphasis on Pediatric residency programs.
thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps on a case-by-case and program-by-program basis. This would be rather unorthodox - why are you inquiring?

I would venture that most programs would be wary unless you have a *really* good reason - after all, they don't know what candidates they would be getting next year and to offer you a spot without knowing the competition...

Thank you for the quick reply Kimberli.

I will detail my situation and perhaps you may have a different suggestion:

I am an IMG. Not an American, but will be receiving a Permanent Resident Status later this year as my spouse is a US citizen.

I understood that my chances of getting into a US residency as an IMG with no prior experience in US hospitals is very slim. On top of that I am limited due to family reasons to residency in the Philadelphia and perhaps NY area only.

I was thinking of doing 1 year of research and/or transitional year (hopefully easier to get accepted to) and then entering a Pediatric residency. My reasoning was, that all other factors being equal (Step1 & Step2, LoRs, etc), a PD would be able to accept my application based on my getting a year's US experience. By matching this year for 2005, I would be able to plan for the longer term, and not stay "up in the air" for another year. Especially in light of the huge commitment and step moving to the US is for me.

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on this and perhaps suggestions of modes of action I have not thought out.

Thanks

2 hospitals to look into in NY that are VERY IMG friendly.....

Bronx Lebanon and Jacobi

Thanks orthoguy.

Do you know of such IMG-friendly programs in the Philadelphia area as well?

While US experience is highly beneficial I'm not sure its a "must" and that without it your chances are "very slim", especially in Pediatrics.

Pediatrics is not known as a competitive specialty. Although you would engender some expenses, why not apply for next year (entering 2004) and see what happens?

Transitional programs are becoming much fewer and farther between and I suppose you could apply to one as "back-up" or do a Prelim Medicine year if you didn't match in Peds next year.

There are several programs in PA which would be considered IMG friendly - I'm not sure if Hershey is one, but its worth checking out (about 90 minutes from Philly).