Match all bio and chem courses (inc. upper level), or just intro?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UNCafDDS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When matching courses for each dental school's prereqs, should we just match the bare minimum/intro courses, or all that are in that subject area?

For example, if a school requires 8 credits of biology, should we match just Bio I and Bio II, or also add courses such as anatomy, physiology, molecular biology, etc. I am talking about if those upper level courses are not required (thus having their own section to match).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

A follow up question- when matching courses, does the course subject on your transcript have to match the prerequisite course subjects for your schools?

If the school makes it explicitly "bio 1", "physics 1, "gen chem 1", etc. Then I only match exactly what they asked for. I have the same question for the they only say "biology", "physics", etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
A follow up question- when matching courses, does the course subject on your transcript have to match the prerequisite course subjects for your schools?
Not necessarily. An example would be English, where they are usually willing to consider writing intensive courses outside of the English department.

Reactions: 1 user
I personally just matched the lowest level courses that matched the description. Like if they just asked for a full year of biology with lab, I just chose my two first year courses with labs to fulfill it, even though I have upper level bio labs and courses I could have used. I feel like it doesn't really matter.

I personally just matched the lowest level courses that matched the description. Like if they just asked for a full year of biology with lab, I just chose my two first year courses with labs to fulfill it, even though I have upper level bio labs and courses I could have used. I feel like it doesn't really matter.
What if your lower level courses are fulfilled by AP credit, and the school does not accept such credits?

What if your lower level courses are fulfilled by AP credit, and the school does not accept such credits?
Pick higher level courses. They don't mind what you select as long as the prerequisites are fulfilled before matriculation

Reactions: 1 user