Match day 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FAMUPharmD09

Pharm.D.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you match?:scared: If so, where.

I matched, yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I matched with my #1 choice...yay

I matched with my #1 as well. :soexcited:

Matched #1 choice!! :eek: :banana:

Congrats everyone!

Yes, congrats all!

Members don't see this ad :)
can someone please forward the email the recieved the day of match so i can see what its supposed to look like?

I matched to my #1 as well....grats to everyone!!!

I hope no one minds me asking, but what was your GPA's in rx school? I see a lot of people matching to their #1 and I know a lot of that has to do with a well rounded application and good interview, but i'm just curious to get a ballpark on GPA's. I have heard a lot of people say that as long as you have above a 3.0 you're fine, but on the other hand I feel like everyone else who wants to apply for residency at my school has like above a 3.7...Any answers are greatly appreciated!

I hope no one minds me asking, but what was your GPA's in rx school? I see a lot of people matching to their #1 and I know a lot of that has to do with a well rounded application and good interview, but i'm just curious to get a ballpark on GPA's. I have heard a lot of people say that as long as you have above a 3.0 you're fine, but on the other hand I feel like everyone else who wants to apply for residency at my school has like above a 3.7...Any answers are greatly appreciated!

At the time applications were submitted? 3.4. When I graduate in May, 3.5.

I only had like 3.25 when applying for residencies this year. I applied to 11 programs and got 11 interview offers. Did 7 interviews and matched to my first choice. (I attribute most of this to good hospital intern experience, a good cover letter and good letters of rec). Its all about selling yourself GPA isn't the end all be all. Programs are looking for applicants that are motivated and would be a good fit.

Agree'd. I ended up with just under a 3.5 professional GPA, participated in 3 interviews, and as I said matched to my #1.

Can you also say how involved you were at your school?

I will be entering my third year - last year to really build my CV. I feel I am somewhat involved but definitely not to the extent of some people at my school

Agreed with all factors, plus I believe it also depends on where you're headed. Kind of determines competitive the program will be (number/quality of applicants). And of course you have to gel well with your interviewers.

Matched with a 3.8 and I think I was closer to the median gpa than upper. California is insane.

This is what I have told all the students who ask: Don't build quantity, build quality. If there's a program who is counting quantity, then they don't deserve your time.

Obviously there are exceptions, ie: If two incumbents are practically the same, it does unfortunately come down to numbers (most objective way to go)

I will be entering my third year - last year to really build my CV. I feel I am somewhat involved but definitely not to the extent of some people at my school

Very involved -- held multiple officer positions all 3 didactic years, went to regional and national meetings, and was on regional committees. I was active during my rotations as well. I also had a ton of work experience, participated in clinical skills competitions, had community service, received scholarships and awards, had a research project, had a publication... CV is 7 pages long.

Last edited:
i had a shade under 3.5 but was well-rounded in EC's and had leadership experience along with community service experience. Interview offers from all 7 i applied to and matched with #1

i'm telling you, just be well-rounded and nail the interview. everyone they invite is good on paper, they want to see whose personality and way of problem solving meshes the best so make sure to prepare dilligently

Honestly, not at all. However, I did have a lot of unique experiences throughout my rotations that helped "beef up" my CV...things like a publication submission and preparation of an iIND. However, I did not apply to any of the super-competitive residencies, so I can't speak for those programs.

Which includes doing your own research on them. Prepare a list of questions to ask. They want to know you're excited and interested in them as well.

I absolutely agree. I've heard all too often from residents themselves saying many applicants at interviews show no personality, give one word answers, and have no questions to ask. I guarantee their first questions will be "why a residency" and more specifically "why THIS residency?". So it would behoove you to know your programs in and out.

REMEMBER, you are interviewing them as well. I felt like they were on the hot seat just as much as I was, which in turn took a bit of the pressure off of me

For PGY1, I applied only to competitive programs and ended up matching at my #4 choice. I was very upset at the time, but it all worked out in the end.

I was very involved in school, graduated at the top of my class, publication, and so on.... It goes to show, that you can look good on paper, but there are a lot of other facts that get you matched...ie who you know, interview, personality...

I guess I should chime in as well. 3.3 with great letters,3 years of working in a university hospital and a fair amount of extracurriculars.

I applied to 9 residencies and 1 fellowship. I interviewed at 7 and 1.

I thought I had fantastic interviews, these were primarily pretty well known/competitive programs, several with >100 applicants. Anyway, I scrambled and within 6 hours has 2 interviews and had 2 offers the next day- one guaranteeing me a pgy2 spot in the specialty I'm interested in.

Several of the best residents we've ever had at the hospital where I work scrambled here, so I'm hopinh to do the same.

I still don't know why I didn't match. Basically everyone I've talked to has had the same "wtf" reaction I did. Oh well, it will work out in the end.

I guess I should chime in as well. 3.3 with great letters,3 years of working in a university hospital and a fair amount of extracurriculars.

I applied to 9 residencies and 1 fellowship. I interviewed at 7 and 1.

I thought I had fantastic interviews, these were primarily pretty well known/competitive programs, several with >100 applicants. Anyway, I scrambled and within 6 hours has 2 interviews and had 2 offers the next day- one guaranteeing me a pgy2 spot in the specialty I'm interested in.

Several of the best residents we've ever had at the hospital where I work scrambled here, so I'm hopinh to do the same.

I still don't know why I didn't match. Basically everyone I've talked to has had the same "wtf" reaction I did. Oh well, it will work out in the end.

They were afraid you would become their boss one day.

My stats: 3.47 GPA, Officer in two pharmacy organizations, lead investigator on a research project that I am seeking to have published soon:xf:, community service involvement. I was 5/5 in obtaining interviews at competitive programs, felt I interviewed well, ranked three programs and matched at my first choice:soexcited:. I think one of the things that helped me most was that I did a rotation at the hospital where I matched and they witnessed my work ethic first hand.

I only had like 3.25 when applying for residencies this year. I applied to 11 programs and got 11 interview offers. Did 7 interviews and matched to my first choice. (I attribute most of this to good hospital intern experience, a good cover letter and good letters of rec). Its all about selling yourself GPA isn't the end all be all. Programs are looking for applicants that are motivated and would be a good fit.

Holy crap 11. I applied to four PGY1s and 2 PGY2s. I dont even know how that can be done time and financial wise.

By the way when I interview people I hardly look at GPA. As long as its above a 3 and its a fairly good school of pharmacy. Some of the worst inteviews have been the people with a 4.0 who cant interact.

Hi everyone,

Did anyone apply to a community pharmacy residency? I'm curious as to how competitive these are.

Thanks,

G

I know a couple of programs that are still looking for residents, community resdiencies that is.

I know a couple of programs that are still looking for residents, community resdiencies that is.

thanks for the info, what programs are they?

I'm just about to start my last year (i.e., rotations) and just trying to get a feel for how competitive community spots are. Any others out there have helpful info on this subject?

thanks for the info, what programs are they?

I'm just about to start my last year (i.e., rotations) and just trying to get a feel for how competitive community spots are. Any others out there have helpful info on this subject?

Oh man, don't get people started on community residencies here... especially pharmdstudent