Match day celebration plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harate09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who is going to be there to watch you open your envelope? How are you celebrating it ?
No one from my family will be there :( . My school has arranged a nice dinner party for us that evening. I can't wait! Good luck to all.

Members don't see this ad.

My parents will be with me for the match- we open our letters at the Country Club then have a luncheon with some awards, a speaker, etc.

Then we have a break before we have a formal dinner that the Dean host, that is followed by a class party at a local bar that is for 3rd and 4th years only- I'm sure I'll go to that but doubt I will stay late as I'm on my Sub-I and will most likely be tired!

Can't wait!

DO applicant. My match day:

1. Wake up
2. Start drinking
3. Find out where I matched online
4. Go back to drinking

DO applicant. My match day:

1. Wake up
2. Start drinking
3. Find out where I matched online
4. Go back to drinking

That's what my plan is. No family, no formal dinners, just a lot of drinking.

I have similar plans for next monday when we find out if we matched or not.

My school hosts an envelop opening party thing with an open bar starting at 10am. We all open our envelopes together at 12 then move the party to a local bar at 1:00. We only get one guest each, so it'll just be my wife watching me open it.

I'm looking forward to it. Four years of tuition and they finally start giving us free booze!

We have a formal ceremony during the day where they pull envelopes and you walk up to the podium and talk for 1-2 minutes then open the envelope and read your fate into the microphone. So you find out in front of all your friends and family, classmates, underclass(wo)men, faculty and a bunch of people you don't know.

Then the class throws a party at club/lounge for the entire school, open bar and all that.

Opening my envelope alone, but then that night doing Peter Lugers with the fam.

I have a big day planned:
830am - appointment to find out if my wife and I are having a little girl or a little boy
100pm - find out where I get to move, watch the birth of my first born and train
102pm - pick up the pieces of my just blown up brain
105pm - Jamison for me, Ginger Ale for the wife haha

830am - appointment to find out if my wife and I are having a little girl or a little boy
100pm - find out where I get to move, watch the birth of my first born and train

Wowww what a day man, congrats!!!:thumbup:

Big and wonderful day indeed! :thumbup:

We have a formal ceremony during the day where they pull envelopes and you walk up to the podium and talk for 1-2 minutes then open the envelope and read your fate into the microphone. So you find out in front of all your friends and family, classmates, underclass(wo)men, faculty and a bunch of people you don't know.

Then the class throws a party at club/lounge for the entire school, open bar and all that.

That seems rather dramatic. Do you read your fate? Or is it someone else reading it while you stand there awkwardly?

We do something very similar. A bunch of speakers and garbage, then we get called up one by one to open our envelope in front of everyone. Although, we do have the option of doing this on our own and then deciding if we want to go in front of everyone. Later that evening the school hosts an event at some bar.

I'm supposed to be on call Saturday AND Sunday following the match. It's my "black weekend." So, 6am pre-rounds on Saturday morning...WHOO HOO! I bet no one can top that.

Although, we get 2 excused absences per 4 weeks. Should I just tell them I'm not coming in? It's not because I want to go to some bar and get hammered. I just feel like I need time to process it. I mean, it's kind of a big deal.

I'm supposed to be on call Saturday AND Sunday following the match. It's my "black weekend." So, 6am pre-rounds on Saturday morning...WHOO HOO! I bet no one can top that.

Although, we get 2 excused absences per 4 weeks. Should I just tell them I'm not coming in? It's not because I want to go to some bar and get hammered. I just feel like I need time to process it. I mean, it's kind of a big deal.

Yes! Unless you are on your AI, med students don't bring much to the team, on the contrary... take the weekend off!

I'm on my medicine sub-I, but I don't think I contribute much (at least not yet...the rotation just started). The team consists of 1 senior resident, 2 interns, me, and 2 really gunner MS-IIIs. There are barely enough patients to go around.

I'm on my medicine sub-I, but I don't think I contribute much (at least not yet...the rotation just started). The team consists of 1 senior resident, 2 interns, me, and 2 really gunner MS-IIIs. There are barely enough patients to go around.

A medicine SubI? In March? Were you drunk when you made your schedule?

PS...no, they won't miss you. And if they do, f*** them...for realz.

In his/her defense my school makes us take a medicine sub-I no matter what specialty we plan on going into and the block you take it in is done by lottery so if get screwed you can have to take it late in the year. So that may be the case.

I'm going into EM. So, I needed 3 EM rotations early in the year for letters. That took up July, Aug, Sept. In October, I did my outpatient sub-I. We aren't allowed to schedule sub-Is in Nov, Dec, or Jan because they are interview months. Hence, here I am taking my inpatient sub-I in March.

I empathize. I'm in my last week of a super easy research rotation (I haven't seen a patient since the end of January), but for various reasons I'm doing a surgical ICU (burn) away rotation (in a city where my brother lives, just to visit him and his new baby, and cuz I needed 2 more weeks of a surgery rotation to graduate, and haven't done an ICU rotation yet this year, etc. etc, no I wasn't drunk when I made my schedule, and yes I'm just going to do the minimum to pass and maybe learn something). That starts the Monday after match day, but I will have to fly out to the opposite coast on saturday so I'll be up bright and early. I have done so much EtOH therapy during my chill rotation that I'm honestly kinda sick of it, ready to be sober for a couple of months lol.

As for match day plans, just spending a chill day with my parents, I'm getting a call from my (small MD) school at the moment everyone else opens their envelopes so I don't have to wait an hour, and will do a nice dinner out that evening. Looking forward to being home, I couldn't think of a worse place to be on match day than at my school, personally. So much stress/pressure/drama. I'd be happy with most places on my (decently long) list so it's going to be a very chillax day.

that sounds like the worst...

Sounds like they should have the 1-2 minute speeches after the celebrations at the open bar.

that sounds like the worst...

My school did that too. I got out of it because I was military and my match was in December, but I didn't really get out of it because now they're doing it again for my fiance, who is a year behind me. I am praying that she gets to be one of the people who gets to say something happy into the microphone.

PS...no, they won't miss you. And if they do, f*** them...for realz.

Drunk? I don't think that's fair... medicine sub-i is not on some students' radar. It's still not on mine... and I'm doing it now!

There were at least 5 rotations I had to schedule this year that trumped this one in importance for me, so it didn't really matter at all when I did it as long as I got those in when I needed them.

Also, from my perspective, since I already worked damn hard in several sub-i's in my desired specialty earlier in the year and I'm still being forced to do a sub-i in something I have no interest in, it's better to do it post-match when everyone on my team expects and understands that I am completely checked out. If the shoe was on the other foot, and IM applicants had to do a surgical sub-i in their fourth year, it would go the exact same way.

I do definitely agree with above post on one point, though:

I won't be there that weekend either. And if they miss me... well, see above :laugh:

That seems rather dramatic. Do you read your fate? Or is it someone else reading it while you stand there awkwardly?

We do something very similar. A bunch of speakers and garbage, then we get called up one by one to open our envelope in front of everyone. Although, we do have the option of doing this on our own and then deciding if we want to go in front of everyone. Later that evening the school hosts an event at some bar.

You read your own fate...Or have a family member/friend do it. It is a very long dramatic event. I think they're limiting speeches to 1 min this year. A bunch of the people that get called last end up reading their fate via email before opening envelopes. We also do the money jar thing where everyone that gets called up (plus random faculty members and spectators) puts cash into this jar and the very last person to be called gets to pocket the cash.

You can tell admin that you dont want to do it, and they wont include your envelope in the pile. However, the vast majority participate.