Match Day Ceremony

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chitown82

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does your school do?

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone inviting their parents to attend?

Randomly called up on stage to get my envelope. Before getting my envelope I deposit one dollar bill into a pot. I speak into the microphone as to my specialty and where I am going. Afterwards, I draw the an envelope for the next person. Whoever is last to get there envelope takes the pot of 1's which equates out to about $120. Most people invite many family members and often times they bring up a spouse or child to read the letter.

Massive simultaneous envelope opening in the presence of family/friends/faculty who have been invited to the event. Tears, laughter, tears, cursing, repeating where you're going so many times you might as well just write it on a nametag. Class pub crawl. Giddiness and gallivanting. Blunt truth-telling to classmates. Possibles fights and/or hook-ups. Hangover.

We're having a party at a local bar this Monday to celebrate matching (or mourn not matching). Thursday, we have a lunch at a fancy hotel downtown. We can only bring one person, so no families -- it's more of a class plus spouses/partners type of event. No boring speeches. In previous years, the reveal had been one by one on stage, but I think it's going to be an all at once type of deal this year. Then there's a big party that night in the city where our main campus is located.

We all gather in our school's auditorium at noon, people get called one at a time randomly onto the stage to receive their letter. We can read it on stage, in our seats or read it alone later. As each person goes up they each put a dollar into a jar, last person called gets the $$. We have a reception with family and faculty afterwards at school and then later that night a local bar is throwing us a private party. :D

My school has random students set up a listserv spreadsheet that people (who want to) type their data on. And then the rest of the class checks it compulsively for the next 4 months til graduation.

Massive simultaneous envelope opening in the presence of family/friends/faculty who have been invited to the event. Tears, laughter, tears, cursing, repeating where you're going so many times you might as well just write it on a nametag. Class pub crawl. Giddiness and gallivanting. Blunt truth-telling to classmates. Possibles fights and/or hook-ups. Hangover.

+1

Thank GOD the envelope-opening isn't public or formal. My hat is off to those of you who have to do this live.

Random groups of 5 called down at a time. This gives you the opportunity to open your envelop in relative privacy, then you go to the microphone and announce your destination/specialty. There's a door nearby so people are free to just leave if they don't want to go to the microphone.

Also with the same tradition as above, $1 in to the bucket each with the final person called down getting the proceeds.

Random groups of 5 called down at a time. This gives you the opportunity to open your envelop in relative privacy, then you go to the microphone and announce your destination/specialty. There's a door nearby so people are free to just leave if they don't want to go to the microphone.

Also with the same tradition as above, $1 in to the bucket each with the final person called down getting the proceeds.

Ouch, straight out the room? We do money in the bag thing, but apparently its gonna be friggin 5 bucks! thats a lot of scratch for the winner. I hope I'm last in that case.

Randomly called up on stage to get my envelope. Before getting my envelope I deposit one dollar bill into a pot. I speak into the microphone as to my specialty and where I am going. Afterwards, I draw the an envelope for the next person. Whoever is last to get there envelope takes the pot of 1's which equates out to about $120. Most people invite many family members and often times they bring up a spouse or child to read the letter.

I'd rather stay home and wait for the 1:00 email than have to go up in front of all my deans and classmates and read where I'm headed off to. :scared: I'm glad our match day is just everybody opening up our envelopes at the same time in the privacy of our own seats.

My school does the $1 in the bag thing with the last person getting all the money, but apparently that money is usually donated to the alcohol fund for the party afterwards =D. Of course, the last person can choose to keep the money for him or herself, but then risks looking like a D-bag. Not saying it's fair, just what's "tradition" at my school :rolleyes:

Must be a southern thing. This is exactly what Arkansas does. I don't know about the location of an off-stage door.

We could bring 2 people with us, so there's a lot of trades going on. It's been an interesting dynamic since half the class just wants to show up and get drunk and the other half wants to bring SO, parents, siblings, etc.

+1

Preceded by an SOM-funded party the night before (tonight!) and brunch, speeches, etc leading up to the 12:00 opening

They changed it for us this year cause it was a cluster f&*$ in the past. At noon they start randomly calling the names (powerpoint shows the next 5 up), having a faculty hand the envelopes, and we all take it back to our seats and once everyone gets their envelope, we open as a group (last year you could open on stage... no microphone to announce, but slowed it down, everyone crowded the stage so no one could really see). And we put $1 into a skeleton and last name gets the money (and is encouraged to donate to charity... i will donate to my cruise fund if I win it). Then there is cake, so the day isn't entirely lost ;) We have a big poster printed up with our names and lines for specialty and location that will be displayed by student affairs afterwards that we can write where we will be

At LSU in New Orleans we (for me last year and continuing this yr) rented out a big room at the Super Dome and had cocktails and beer while they were handing out envelopes and such......then our school shut down the streets that go thru our campus and we had a huge blockparty crawfishboil beer-bash. Then most of us wandered down to Pat O'Briens and got ridiculously drunk!.......fun times...