match into california hard??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOMb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello,

i will be going to AZCOM in the fall but i want to do my residency in so cali because that is where i want to end up practicing. I was just wondering if it will be hard match into a residency in california given that my school is in AZ?? anyone been through this?? thanks for the input!!

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunatly there is slim to no chance of a DO matching in So cal-there IS a chance but like I said slim-Cali, especially so cal or any of the better programs are completely DO unfriendly. No psych program in the state has a DO and psych is one of the least competitive things. Family and medicine also have extremely few DOs-so if you want to do anything even semi-competitive I would plan on going somewhere else. Good luck at AZCOM

thats crap info! First let me advise you to take the USMLEs so that you can compare apples to apples. As a DO you can cherry pick ANY FP program in the state of California if you are a strong candidate. There are plenty Of DOs in anesthesia at many CAli programs. There are DOs at UC Davis and Kern County, and USC. There are DOs in nearly every PMnR program in southern cal. Whoever posted the response to future the med student's question is a *****- and should not be giving out advice as uninformed as he/she is! Work hard take Comlex and USMLE. You WILL BE WAY AHEAD of game if yoy know what field you want to practice in. Do an audition rotation- do as well as possible- and the sky is the limit. Good luck

i think it really depends on what you want to go into. i'm a 4th year at AZCOM applying for peds, and i sometimes feel that if i had gone to an allopathic school i would've received more interviews at competitive programs in so-cal, but whatever, i would still choose osteopathic if i had the choice again. i think CHLA is pretty DO friendly - they have several DOs in their program.

i have classmates who applied for family in so-cal and received tons of interviews. so, for family i don't think it's an issue.

thanks all for the response, it has put to rest some of my questions. KEEP THEM COMING =D i plan on goin into family so hopefully it wont be an issue. I also ahve an acceptance at TUCOM NV u think itll be easier to get into cali to be in NV??

go to the school you'll be most happy at...the school you graduate from plays a small role compared to the rest of your application for residency, especially for family.

there are plenty of DO attendings and residents in california programs, ranging from family to IM to anesthesia and surgery. in the end it doesn't matter where you go to school as long as you work hard and do well.