Match into Pre-lim/TY, but not Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilchu22

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody worried about matching into a pre-lim/TY but not anesthesiology?

Members don't see this ad.

No.
...but I do wanna go campin'.....:cool:
Edit: Med school applicant, why are you asking this question?

Members don't see this ad :)
Im far more concerned about the opposite scenario--prelim spots in my area were fiercely competitive and I only ended up ranking 3.

Then you couldn't scramble into an unfilled categorical spot. It is a tough call. Hopefully none of us have to scramble anywhere or go too low on our lists. :owle:

So, what's the advantage of ranking a prelim/TY on your primary ROL?

I'm not ranking prelims/TY on my primary ROL, I thought this was the norm but from reading this thread it doesn't appear to be so.

So, what's the advantage of ranking a prelim/TY on your primary ROL?

I'm not ranking prelims/TY on my primary ROL, I thought this was the norm but from reading this thread it doesn't appear to be so.

You aren't alone. In fact, if you look at the 2012 Main Residency Match Data, table 13 shows that 1,200 US Seniors ranked at least 1 anesthesia program. Of those, 842 ONLY ranked anesthesia programs, 310 ranked anesthesia first with other specialties ranked as well (i.e. prelim and/or back up specialty), and the remaining 48 ranked another specialty first. If you go to table 14, the match rate of those 842 people was 98.1% (826/842). I'm not planning on ranking prelims in my primary ROL. The only advantage I see to ranking prelims is that if you are unsuccessful at the SOAP (assuming you don't match which seems pretty unlikely, but this feeling may vary depending on how paranoid you are), then you could apply next year to the dozen or so programs that offer R0 spots (starting as a CA-1 that year of the match) and avoid having to repeat your intern year!

Does anybody know how the algorithm works with the supplement list factored in? If i rank Advanced Program X as my number one and dont match into it, does the algorithm automatically skip my supplementary ROL for Program X? If the answer is yes, does that mean the ONLY way to match into a pre-lim but not an advanced is if you put a pre-lim on your primary ROL? Thanks guys

Does anybody know how the algorithm works with the supplement list factored in? If i rank Advanced Program X as my number one and dont match into it, does the algorithm automatically skip my supplementary ROL for Program X? If the answer is yes, does that mean the ONLY way to match into a pre-lim but not an advanced is if you put a pre-lim on your primary ROL? Thanks guys

From NRMP. "A supplemental rank order list will be used in The Match only if the applicant matches to an advanced program on the primary rank order list... If the applicant is matched to an advanced program, the algorithm will seek to match the applicant to a preliminary position from the supplemental rank order list that is linked to that advanced program. If the algorithm is unable to match the applicant to a first-year program, the match to the advanced program still holds, and the applicant will have to seek a PGY-1 position after The Match."

So to match to a prelim only it has to be on your primary ROL.

If i rank Advanced Program X as my number one and dont match into it, does the algorithm automatically skip my supplementary ROL for Program X? If the answer is yes, does that mean the ONLY way to match into a pre-lim but not an advanced is if you put a pre-lim on your primary ROL? Thanks guys

Yes and yes.

Can someone please post the NRMP unmatched programs list for anesthesia.... I'm having trouble getting it