Match list confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ramkijai

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may seem like an insane question but how do you guys interpret a match list? I am considering two schools: Dartmouth and MCP Hahnemann. This may seem like a no brainer but I recently saw MCP's match list and it seemed way better than Dartmouth's at least in terms of speciality. They had 6 match into Derm, 4 into opthamology, 9 ortho, 12 radiology. dartmouth had 0,0,1,1 respectively. But dartmouth placed 8 into Harvard and 6 in california (about 15% of the class, mostly at UCSF and stanford) while MCP sent only 2 to Cali (1% of the class). So if I want to be dermatologist in California which school would you choose? Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by ramkijai:
•This may seem like an insane question but how do you guys interpret a match list? I am considering two schools: Dartmouth and MCP Hahnemann. This may seem like a no brainer but I recently saw MCP's match list and it seemed way better than Dartmouth's at least in terms of speciality. They had 6 match into Derm, 4 into opthamology, 9 ortho, 12 radiology. dartmouth had 0,0,1,1 respectively. But dartmouth placed 8 into Harvard and 6 in california (about 15% of the class, mostly at UCSF and stanford) while MCP sent only 2 to Cali (1% of the class). So if I want to be dermatologist in California which school would you choose? Thanks for any help.•••••Each class that graduates from a medical school will vary not only in the quality of the students (i.e. board scores), but also in their respective career aspirations. Take a look at also the percentage of students that enter "competitive residencies", not simply the raw numbers. Class sizes can be quite different, i think dartmouths class is smaller.

You can take a look at different year class lists for the schools you are considering also. This might give you a better perspective. If you know you want to dermatology, take a look at the ranking of dermatology under the u.s. news hospitals rankings. Although, this is more relevant for residents, and not medical students,...the people writing your letters of recommendation, research opportunities, etc..., may have more weight if you are coming from a program that excels in dermatology.

Ultimately, it does not really matter. It doesnt matter how the class does, it matters how well YOU do. If you want to do a dermatology residency, you will have to be at the top end of the bell curve in your class, and also on the usmle step 1. So whereever you go, just work your butt off. Especially if you want to go to california.

The best of luck!

I don't think that those numbers mean a whole lot, because you don't know how many people APPLIED to derm residencies. You should know by now that Dartmouth pushes primary and rural care, and likely don't have a whole lot of people applying to the high-end specialties.

In the end, what matters most in residency placement is board scores and grades. The name of your med school won't mean a heck of a lot, but if you are looking to impress people with it, Dartmouth definitely has the prestige of the ivy league, though not necessarily because of the med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are something like 56 people that are in a dartmouth class, so that will make the numbers in those programs low. You might want to check your numbers again, though. I know offhand there were maybe 10 people that matched rads (which makes about 20% of the class!!!).

And I wouldn't say Dartmouth pushes primary care. While they do have a rural health program, the majority of the class doesn't go that route (I think it's like 40% - much lower than the average school).

thanks for the replys. yeah, i think you guys are right it is up to me to make or break my residency choice. i loved it up there at dartmouth so hell with all this second guessing. Woods you are right about radiology there are 8 students who are doing it PGY2 (i did not count them earlier).

•••quote:•••Originally posted by ramkijai:
•thanks for the replys. yeah, i think you guys are right it is up to me to make or break my residency choice. i loved it up there at dartmouth so hell with all this second guessing. Woods you are right about radiology there are 8 students who are doing it PGY2 (i did not count them earlier).•••••Hey there, i think you made the right choice.

dartmouth, baby!