Match Lists and Research Years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m222222

Reaction score
Do medical schools publish the number of students who take research years? I see that many schools post match rates and then match lists, but is there any way to determine how many students opted to forego the match for research? (That is, beyond trying to find the class size and then counting the students who match to determine the remainder, assuming nobody left the program). Also, when looking at a match list, does it include students who graduated from that school the previous year and then took a research year?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
no not usually published data. And some schools do include students from previous years in their match list, but it might be school specific.

Do medical schools publish the number of students who take research years? I see that many schools post match rates and then match lists, but is there any way to determine how many students opted to forego the match for research? (That is, beyond trying to find the class size and then counting the students who match to determine the remainder, assuming nobody left the program). Also, when looking at a match list, does it include students who graduated from that school the previous year and then took a research year?
I think most take research year before graduating.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think in certain situations, some students who don't match will do a research fellowship year as a result.

Are you saying that the majority of medical school students don't finish in four years?
No, those who wants to do additional research do it before graduating ie gap year while in medical school not after.

Are you saying that the majority of medical school students don't finish in four years?
I am pretty sure what he was saying is a non-sequitur, because you are talking about two different things.

He is talking about people voluntarily taking a research year while in school, while you are talking about people taking an involuntary research year because they didn't match! And what he's saying, which is irrelevant to your question, is that most people who do an extra year of research do it as an additional year while in school, and not as a gap year after school because they didn't match. Not that most people don't graduate in 4 years.

In other words, they are the rock stars gunning for hyper competitive specialties, who need the extra research and publications, not people forced into it because they didn't match. Apples and oranges. :)

Reactions: 1 user