match lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peel

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important are the residency match lists? I've been comparing two schools - one has a higher ranking and residency director score, but noticeably weaker residency match list (few matches into competitive residencies, weaker institutions, etc.) than the other school. Is the match list a better way to look at quality than ranking? thanks. :confused:

Peel

Members don't see this ad.

I believe a matchlist(if you know how to evaluate them) is a better indicator of a school than a ranking.It tells you in very real terms how the grads of particular school are perceived by program directors.Rankings are subject to all sorts of variables but residency directors speak loudest about what they think of a school on match day!
It would be interesting to know which places you are comparing.

I've been looking at NYU and Northwestern - both great schools - but Northwestern seems to have weaker matches. I'm not sure how much of this is just location.

Members don't see this ad :)
NYU has reputation of very strong matches in the specialties.Northwestern has many more midwestern matches as would be expected, and they may not appear as prestigious as some east coast programs.However Northwestern is a great institution and many of its best students no doubt stay there to train.You cant go wrong either way as far as gettung a good residency goes!

thanks for the comments nyskindr!