Match process questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocToBe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took a look at the programs that had open slots this year after the match and much to my surprise, I saw several open slots in top psychiatry programs (what I'm interested in). Is it possible that a decent MD student can list several programs and match at a mid-tier program when there are still spots open at high-tier programs? It makes me wonder--why not just forgo the match and then choose one of the best open seats after the match has just ended? Ok, this may be stupid, but I'm only an MS-II and so I'm still learning about the process.

DocToBe

Members don't see this ad.

If your school doesn't require you to participate in the match, you don't have to but it would be foolish IMHO for the following reasons:

1) you have no way of knowing whether or not there will be desirable unfilled spots left after the match

2) if you do not enroll in the match, you must obtain the list of Unfilled programs from someone who has (or from a web site that will list them). An access code is required to get the list from the NRMP web site.

3) you cannot guarantee that you will get one of those unfilled spots (just as there is no guarantee that you will match either)

and the BIGGIE:

4) just because a post is listed as Unfilled in the match does not mean it was unfilled or that the program chooses to fill it. Any positions offered outside of the match (ie, to IMGs, DOs, Canadian students, physician graduates) will be listed as Unfilled; programs may decide not to rank everyone they've interviewed or may decide not to fill the position - either because they didn't care for any of the candidates, they've given the funding to another department (and don't actually have the position) or some other reason. They are not required to offer all their spots through the NRMP.

It is very possible that you could rank a higher tier program but match at a mid-tier program, while the higher tier program goes unfilled. If that program did not list you on their ROL, you will not get the spot regardless of who high you rank them.

Hope this helps and I'll move it to the Rotations and Residencies Forum for ya! :D

Kimberli's remarks are on the money. It is horrible having to scramble. Many people end up going NOT to those highly desireable places, but to a program they would never have ranked to begin with if they had the choice.

And I agree, many of those so-called "unfilled" positions were really filled pre-match -- ie, they never existed at all.

ana

DO NOT SCRUMBLE, EVER!!!